Widgets Magazine

View Poll Results: Why does OKC have slow growth given positive press?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • low pay and lack of high tech job opportunities

27 37.50%
  • negative or no perception of the City/State

40 55.56%
  • No natural draws (oceans, mountains, forests etc)

24 33.33%
  • Unpredictable Weather

1 1.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OKC Rankings

Default Re: OKC Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Silliman View Post
    So you're saying when the Oklahoma Film Commission convinced Spielberg to film "Twister" in Guthrie they didn't do us any favors. Or did they?
    A mixed blessing, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    I sure hope you take the time to correct them. For people to assume we don't have two-story houses in Oklahoma because of the tornado "risk" quite frankly maes them look uneducated. Do they feel the same way about Dallas? They, too, are in heavy tornado alley.

Besides, tornadoes are much less of a risk in Oklahoma. Lightning is a bigger risk, but not as much as in Florida.
    I generally explain it to them but for some, it is hopeless. Dallas wasn't prominently featured in the Grapes of Wrath so they don't think of it. I am not sure many "educated" people even understand that they are relatively close to each other. It is not like these folks understand weather patterns or why this is tornado alley. They just know that Oklahoma is the buckle on the bible belt and that tornadoes hit here. And that it is dusty and gritty and nothing grows here but Indians. Many are shocked that it isn't a monochrome landscape.

Don't mean to sound smug. I frequently have to tell people who mention small towns in this region (Virginia) that I need more information because "I'm not from around here." Still - there is a limit to how much ignorance is reasonable. I'd like to think that I could figure out that Thomas Jefferson is not still running around and that we don't have to dodge civil war bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by bretthexum View Post
    Sorry, I think anyone who says Oklahoma has good terrain/land/natural attractions compared to other states is wrong. I've lived in 6 states and visited almost every one. The only thing close is the eastern part of the state. But the OKC metro area?? Yuck. Muddy red water and farmland? No thanks. But really - I don't think that is a huge reason people don't move here. But don't try to sugarcoat it.
    I can promise you that you obviously have not seen any of state.

... what a stupid poll

5. Default Re: OKC Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Okie View Post
    I generally explain it to them but for some, it is hopeless. Dallas wasn't prominently featured in the Grapes of Wrath so they don't think of it. I am not sure many "educated" people even understand that they are relatively close to each other. It is not like these folks understand weather patterns or why this is tornado alley. They just know that Oklahoma is the buckle on the bible belt and that tornadoes hit here. And that it is dusty and gritty and nothing grows here but Indians. Many are shocked that it isn't a monochrome landscape.

Don't mean to sound smug. I frequently have to tell people who mention small towns in this region (Virginia) that I need more information because "I'm not from around here." Still - there is a limit to how much ignorance is reasonable. I'd like to think that I could figure out that Thomas Jefferson is not still running around and that we don't have to dodge civil war bullets.
    My goodness if these people only knew the saturation of mega-churches and televangelists in Texas, they would realize the buckle has shifted. Or perhaps it never was Oklahoma to begin with.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    ... what a stupid poll
    agreed. Can I vote for Other or None of The Above. IMO it's that results take time and aren't going to be immediate after a few articles come out. Now guage it in a few years and then see. We live in an "immediate gratification" society and expect but rarely see instant results. Not to mention, people on the coasts are going broke, bankrupt, etc. in record numbers and can't just uproot a family overnight. I know of several families just from reading this website that are moving here from all over the country and don't have family here. The press is definitely working, give it time!

I can promise you that you obviously have not seen any of state.
    Ugh... yeah I have. But like I posted, that's about #10 on my list of reasons to move to a state.

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    My goodness if these people only knew the saturation of mega-churches and televangelists in Texas, they would realize the buckle has shifted. Or perhaps it never was Oklahoma to begin with.
    I hope that doesn't mean their trousers are dropping!

Huh? You talkin' to me?

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Huh? You talkin' to me?
    hahahaha!!

... what a stupid poll

You can say that again.

37.88% + 56.06% + 33.33% + 1.52% = 128.79%

WTF?
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post

You can say that again.

37.88% + 56.06% + 33.33% + 1.52% = 128.79%

WTF?
    All that means is that an individual can give more than one answer.

Thread Information