Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cafe 501 Classen Curve

1. Default Re: Cafe 501 Classen Curve

Decided to go with friends today to try sunday brunch at the new curve location. The place was very busy and the food was fabulous. Not the full brunch menu they have in Edmond, but they said it would be by early December.

We did mimosas, stuffed French toast and the breakfast burrito - and - of course, chocolate cupcakes to go.

A really great addition to the area that will surely be around a long time.

Default Re: Cafe 501 Classen Curve

That stuffed french toast looks bomb. Whats it stuffed with?

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post

We did mimosas, stuffed French toast and the breakfast burrito - and - of course, chocolate cupcakes to go.

A really great addition to the area that will surely be around a long time.
    If you dont mind me asking, how much were the entrees and drinks?

4. Default Re: Cafe 501 Classen Curve

Cream cheese, strawberries and bacon with syrup.

Drinks $4 and entrees $11.

Bacon makes anything better!

Just ate here this evening. EXCELLENT!

I ordered the Penne Pasta Entree and it was the best I have ever had. I will definitely be back! The tea is also amazing! Best I've ever had as well!

My wife and I invited our friends out to Cafe 501 for dinner on NYE. We arrived at 7:30pm, were promptly seated and greeted by our server. Both of the wives got the Rasberry Flirtini, I got a Boulevard Wheat and my friend got a glass of Merlot. We got the Beef Short Rib Pasta (a little bland, but ok overall), Meatloaf (excellent), Cowboy Steak (very good, cooked perfectly Medium) and the California Club (Baked Potato Salad was very good as was the sandwich.) The portions were just right; not too much, not too little. The four of us split the 501 Warm Fudge Brownie. I felt it was a little small, but very tasty. We will definitely be back.

The lunch menu looks great!
    I want to try every single hot sandwich & wrap on the menu!
    is the Pasta salad exceptional?
    I wonder why it is the only side option offered.
    Again with the streamline I assume.

Has anyone been during lunch rush? easy in and out? parking too?

Thanks -- I'll get there soon!

Cafe 501 founder and operator Peter Holloway has died due to Covid.

His restaurant group also owns Boulevard Steak House and Sparrow. They had also operated the Martini Bar and Park House.

I interviewed him on the phone a couple of times and he was a very kind, passionate man.

https://oklahoman.com/article/568016...-complications

10. Default Re: Cafe 501 Classen Curve

Awful news. I always loved his concepts and it looks like his family loved him dearly.

Pete was incredibly well-respected and well-liked and often credited (along with a handful of others) with the first wave of OKC's restaurant renaissance that started in the late 90's.

As a former employee of the Holloway's, this is horrible news. Pete was an amazing man who inspired his employees. He will be truly missed.

I knew Pete at my old bank. He had been a customer there for years and I, as a newbie, asked for him ID as he was cashing a check. He smiled, gave it to me and it wasn’t until I realized he had a ton of money with us that I should have asked someone if they knew him, I was just doing my job. I went 501 several times when he was there, ever 10 years after I left that bank and he always remembered my name and asked what I was doing. Just one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met.

A lot of people don't know this, but Pete Holloway was the other half of what is today The Ranch Steakhouse. The legal name of the company is still "Mathis Holloway LLC" (or INC?). The Ranch has really become it's own thing separate from Boulevard, but there are a few things that are still very similar (Uniforms, for 1). I don't know when it became The Ranch Steakhouse instead of 501 Ranch, but it was mid-2000s.

I know a lot of people in the industry really respected him. He definitely made a huge mark on OKC and definitely upped the ante for the Prime Steakhouse game in this city.

Sad to see he's left us.

This is a huge loss for the industry and OKC in general. Petes impact has been far reaching, he was truly one of a kind. Condolences to the entire Holloway family as they navigate this difficult time. His legacy will definitely live on but there's going to be a big void felt in his restaurants and industry in general.

I didn't realize they setup domes for private and germ-free dining:

Not sure these domes are anything more than pandemic theater. They seem enclosed with little ventilation, which makes them not a very good response to COVID. Besides, they’re big enough that they likely involve multiple groups. Kind of like installing plexiglass, which recent studies suggest actually increase COVID spread because they reduce airflow.

Of course, they’re not worse than most indoor spaces and vaccinated groups may prefer them so I hope they do well. I just don’t see them as an effective COVID response.

They’ve been up for a few months now, it seemed a little strange to me that they waited until after the Christmas holidays / winter.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    They’ve been up for a few months now, it seemed a little strange to me that they waited until after the Christmas holidays / winter.
    I'm sure those are the same domes used for the pop-up Christmas shops; just on loan during off-season.

Thread Information