Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OU Football Operations Facility

Default Re: OU Football Operations Facility

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    I am on record saying the perfect spot for a new bball arena is just north of Brooks .. right in that same area ..

but that money is not there .. as an aside a UNP basketball arena is getting closer and closer to becoming a reality
    yeah I definitely think ideal and currently practical are two different things. Need to get out of Lloyd noble at all costs and if the interim solution for the next 20-30 years is a UNP arena…power to them.

Cherokee gothic architecture remains undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I've heard that the final plans for this facility will integrate with the Duck Pond property directly east.

They are moving very fast with this and I believe they have already raised most of the money.

Nothing like a deadline (SEC 2024) to get people very focused and motivated.
    Have you heard as to whether the Duck Pond will be destroyed?

I am on record saying the perfect spot for a new bball arena is just north of Brooks .. right in that same area ..

but that money is not there .. as an aside a UNP basketball arena is getting closer and closer to becoming a reality
    Agreed about the funding. The amount of funding that the State provides is a pittance. How OU is considered a "public" University is really stretching it. Now they want to shift the costs of an arena to the taxpayers of Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Agreed about the funding. The amount of funding that the State provides is a pittance. How OU is considered a "public" University is really stretching it. Now they want to shift the costs of an arena to the taxpayers of Norman.
    Norman should Absolutely contribute to this project .. OU provided the city so so much value and they sometimes take it for granted ..

Oh no, nothing like that. Just trying to bridge the park and pond into the campus a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Long time tailgater here. Those paid tailgate spots are a disgrace.
    yes they are but i am guessing the university makes a bit of coin on them.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    yeah I definitely think ideal and currently practical are two different things. Need to get out of Lloyd noble at all costs and if the interim solution for the next 20-30 years is a UNP arena…power to them.
    I don’t think the Norman voters will go for it, they certainly didn’t the last time. And with this massive investment you have the perfect spot to centralize football/basketball in one location on campus. The architecture can even match what they are proposing for the other buildings.

How is the money not there? If they can afford to build one at UNP why couldn’t they afford it here?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    How is the money not there? If they can afford to build one at UNP why couldn’t they afford it here?
    the one at UNP is not being paid for by OU

Zero dollars from OU would go to funding the Arena at UNP. $0.00. That is how and if OU wants the city of Norman to help pay for it (TIF), with the remaining dollars being provided by a developer.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Zero dollars from OU would go to funding the Arena at UNP. $0.00. That is how and if OU wants the city of Norman to help pay for it (TIF), with the remaining dollars being provided by a developer.
    The TIF financing model is not popular in Norman based on the political heat the last one generated due to the retail promised versus what retail came. It will be a very hard sell.

I have no doubt this will happen but I heard a lively discussion about this on The Sports Animal today between Al, Dean, and Jim. Their take was that recruits today pay much more attention to NIL than they do to facilities. They were suggesting that, if competing for a national championship is the main goal, the money would be much better spent in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    I have no doubt this will happen but I heard a lively discussion about this on The Sports Animal today between Al, Dean, and Jim. Their take was that recruits today pay much more attention to NIL than they do to facilities. They were suggesting that, if competing for a national championship is the main goal, the money would be much better spent in that direction.
    These sort of facilities while massively important in regards to recruiting are more necessary for player development. Players only have a specific amount of allotted time to spend each week in team activities. This facility is more necessary to maximize the time spent doing football specific activities. Time currently spent traveling between the locker room and the indoor facility, while minute, individually add up; this is a single example of one of the ways this facility will maximize player development.

15. Default Re: OU Football Operations Facility

This discussion got a bit of on-air talk yesterday on the Sports Animal. With OKC TALK being mentioned a few times as the source. A little free advertising.

The TIF financing model is not popular in Norman based on the political heat the last one generated due to the retail promised versus what retail came. It will be a very hard sell.
    Which is why they will continue to play in the LNC until that changes or enough donors come in to support it.

the one at UNP is not being paid for by OU
    I don’t know much about this issue and maybe I’m wrong but I feel like if they really tried and pushed for it they could find the money.

I don’t know much about this issue and maybe I’m wrong but I feel like if they really tried and pushed for it they could find the money.
    OU is having trouble funding football projects, and that is the breadwinner sport. I don't think they will be able to find the money for a basketball arena, unfortunately.

it will stay and I have heard that the final version of this project (this thread was one of the not chosen early plans) interacts with the duck pond.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    OU is having trouble funding football projects, and that is the breadwinner sport. I don't think they will be able to find the money for a basketball arena, unfortunately.
    OU has raised nearly all the money (rumored to be $175 million) to build this football facility, which is amazing.

Also well under construction on that amazing new softball stadium.

Baseball needs a big makeover.

All those things will come before basketball, which is why they are looking at UNP as a way to do all this at once.

OU has raised nearly all the money (rumored to be $175 million) to build this football facility, which is amazing.

All those things will come before basketball, which is why they are looking at UNP as a way to do all this at once.
    I think that the rest of the football stadium renovation (another 400 mil ) is on tap before a basketball arena also ..

I think that the rest of the football stadium renovation (another 400 mil ) is on tap before a basketball arena also ..
    Wow. That is impressive. They just upgraded the current one and it looks great. It almost seems like it be closer to a pro stadium at this rate of consistent upgrades.

Speaking of the softball stadium, when can we get more drone shots?

Pete, someone posted this on twitter, do you know if this is correct on the location of the facility (would make zero sense to have it totally disconnected from the stadium)? Says it's why Thad Turnipseed is out aswell.

Thad wanted the facilities across Jenkins but the administration and regents wouldn’t approve moving the T&F facilities. They want to build the football offices at the current Marita Hynes location. This defeats the entire purpose of Thad’s vision. That’s why he’s out. It’s not a coincidence the video of the Jenkins facility was leaked. It was an attempt to get momentum for that vision.

Wow. That is impressive. They just upgraded the current one and it looks great. It almost seems like it be closer to a pro stadium at this rate of consistent upgrades.
    The stadium needs the West side Upper deck, press box, restrooms, concessions all renovated along with adding additional elevators and escalators. The North EZ is also in major need to renovate the restrooms and concessions and could possibly see some seat expansion in a future project.

Thread Information