Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

Quote Originally Posted by swilki View Post
    agreed
    Me too Grant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Hahaha. Actually, my impression every time I fly into OKC during the winter is, "Wow, this place really does look like Mars."
    Sort of like flying into Denver, or Salt Lake City.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I think I found it by:
    1. Go to http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/meet.aspx
    2. Click on the view link at "Wednesday Jan 26, 2011 10:30 AM OKC Airport Trust"
    3. Click on the Pdf link at " Receive the Marketing Strategy Final Report for th - 11Jan26-LeighFisher-MktgStrategyRpt.pdf"
    Yep...thanks for that!!

4. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

I may be looked at as the nit-picker here, but I don't think OKC is in the "midde of nowhere." You see an entire city during the daytime, and at night time an entire city with a gazillion lights while you're on approach, so that doesn't give me the impression that I have landed in the middle of nowhere. OKC is a mere 7 miles from downtown. Denver actually gives you that feeling, or an airport like Montreal Mirabel would. If you really wanted to explore you could just fly to London Stanstead and take one of the many Ryanair flights that actually do go to airports far removed from "their" cities. Every airport doesn't have to be a La Guardia or a Midway to keep it from being in the middle of nowhere. Just my two cents worth

If you like a developed airport area try Newark. I'll take Denver or OKC.

I've thought for years that a restaurant on the E side of the airport, with views of both N and S (think 1/2 moon shaped) would be an AWESOME idea. I love anything having to do with aviation and being able to have a great meal while watching the airport operate would be so much fun.

I would also love it if they had an observation area where you could just hang out. Think of how fun it would be to ride a bike, motorcycle or scooter there, climb up to the roof and hang out. They could have both a snack bar and a real bar to serve alcohol, beer, and non-alcoholic fruit smoothies all in the same location. They could have tables to sit and chat with friends, play board games or just watch the airport operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethrol View Post
    I've thought for years that a restaurant on the E side of the airport, with views of both N and S (think 1/2 moon shaped) would be an AWESOME idea. I love anything having to do with aviation and being able to have a great meal while watching the airport operate would be so much fun.

I would also love it if they had an observation area where you could just hang out. Think of how fun it would be to ride a bike, motorcycle or scooter there, climb up to the roof and hang out. They could have both a snack bar and a real bar to serve alcohol, beer, and non-alcoholic fruit smoothies all in the same location. They could have tables to sit and chat with friends, play board games or just watch the airport operations.
    I remember eating at a restaurant exactly like that on the south side of the old Stapleton Airport in Denver. It was a lot of fun. It didn't have a roof hangout area, however.

Is that even possible after 911? Seems to get anywhere in the airport (beyond the ticket counters), have to be a ticketed passenger and go thru security. Can't go the the eating places or shops (except for the kiosk type in the lobby)

On edit, are you talking about a location off of the terminal? Where would that be that you could see the runways etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Is that even possible after 911? Seems to get anywhere in the airport (beyond the ticket counters), have to be a ticketed passenger and go thru security. Can't go the the eating places or shops (except for the kiosk type in the lobby)

On edit, are you talking about a location off of the terminal? Where would that be that you could see the runways etc?
    Off terminal, East of the airport (between the airport and I-44)

10. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

There are still many airports with observation decks or areas. HAS (Houston Airports System) has designated areas at both the Hobby and Intercontinental Airports (all of which happen to lie at the end of some runway), Austin Bergstrom has an entire viewing area located right next to the east runway (17L-35R), Dallas Ft. Worth has the new Founders Plaza on the northwest side (used to be on the southeast side adjacent to a busy taxiway and close to the center runway), MSP has its observation deck. Unfortunately our airport has none of those. I would like to see an observation area as part of that new development as well. Oh well, wishful thinking lol.

Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    There are still many airports with observation decks or areas. HAS (Houston Airports System) has designated areas at both the Hobby and Intercontinental Airports (all of which happen to lie at the end of some runway), Austin Bergstrom has an entire viewing area located right next to the east runway (17L-35R), Dallas Ft. Worth has the new Founders Plaza on the northwest side (used to be on the southeast side adjacent to a busy taxiway and close to the center runway), MSP has its observation deck. Unfortunately our airport has none of those. I would like to see an observation area as part of that new development as well. Oh well, wishful thinking lol.
    Wow...I had no idea so many airports had this. Awesome!

Commercial land uses explored by Oklahoma City Airport Trust
    By Brianna Bailey
    Journal Record
    Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2847
    Posted: 09:34 PM Monday, January 31, 2011

OKLAHOMA CITY – Will Rogers World Airport officials believe the flat grassland east of the airport could eventually support new commercial development, including as many as three hotels and a shopping center.

The Oklahoma City Airport Trust controls about 8,000 acres of land between SW 54th and SW 104th streets, stretching from the airport to Interstate 44.

The airport trust currently leases out some of the vacant land for agricultural uses, but wants to develop the area as a way to boost airport revenues, as well as create new jobs, support existing businesses around the airport and boost city sales tax revenues, Will Rogers World Airport Director Mark Kranenburg said.

Airport officials have plans to relocate S. Portland Avenue just east of its current location, closer to Interstate 44, widening the two-lane road to four lanes between SW 74th and SW 89th streets. The plan would make S. Portland more inviting to commercial development, Kranenburg said. Engineering work on the new roadway is expected to get under way within the next few months, he said.

“The plan is to create this new spine road and ultimately, development will be based on what the demand is,” Kranenburg said.

A land use study commissioned by airport officials found there is enough demand in the area to support a small, village-type shopping center near the area around S. Portland Avenue and SW 74th Street with about 350,000 square feet of retail space.

“The idea for this concept would include fairly moderate-priced anchors in a retail village that is pedestrian-friendly and that provides some of the basic shopping choices that families in that area need,” said Sharon Woods, principal of the Michigan-consulting firm LandUse|USA, which helped prepare the airport study in conjunction with management consultant group Leigh|Fisher.

To succeed, the shopping center would have to have support from several large anchor tenants, including major grocery chains, as well as a major discount department store.

The study also found there is a demand for a home improvement store, such as a Home Depot, in the area.

The area also could support two or three chain hotels, including an extended-stay suite type of hotel; a moderately priced full-service hotel; and a value-type hotel. There also is room for a cluster of supporting businesses such as a gas station and restaurants around S. Portland Avenue and SW 89th Street, and up to 170,000 square feet of office space.

It could take years, even decades for the area around the airport to attract such development, said Kirk Humphreys, former Oklahoma City mayor and vice chairman of the Oklahoma City Airport Trust.

“It’s good to have master plans; however, most of the time the final outcome doesn’t look like the plan – it’s a flexible framework that can guide us,” Humphreys said. “It may take 20 or 30 years for that area to mature.”

13. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

I am getting a strong vibe that Kirk is a big player in this deal.

14. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

That last quote is where we all relize that it's not going to happen. So the development is a 30 year masterplan. Even he says it won't look like that. Something that large never turns out like planned....take a look at that lovely shopping center in Norman...hmmm. For them to attract the businesses they think are going to want to be there, is going to take a lot of work that I just don't see happening. Now, I would LOVE to see it happen, i'm just extremely skeptical of it. What i thought was a planned out private development that was ready to start, turns out to just be a drawing someone did with a lot of demographic data. And the demographic data is read poorly anyway. If you're trying to focus new development around an expanding area, then you're several miles too far north. You can go South near 149th or whatever, find cheaper land, and be right there at your target consumer. There are too many other options for these developements in the area already....you're doubling up with this thing. Go farther down 44 and you're all of a sudden the big player. You may not get as much land, but if it's going to take 20 years to develop it, by the time you finish (which it wont'), you're outdated. It's just too much.

Well, the entire masterplan development should take a while (which contains a ton of land) but I think they are ready to allow development early on. The construction of the new Portland Ave. will begin sometime this year.

16. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    That last quote is where we all relize that it's not going to happen. So the development is a 30 year masterplan. Even he says it won't look like that. Something that large never turns out like planned....take a look at that lovely shopping center in Norman...hmmm. For them to attract the businesses they think are going to want to be there, is going to take a lot of work that I just don't see happening. Now, I would LOVE to see it happen, i'm just extremely skeptical of it. What i thought was a planned out private development that was ready to start, turns out to just be a drawing someone did with a lot of demographic data. And the demographic data is read poorly anyway. If you're trying to focus new development around an expanding area, then you're several miles too far north. You can go South near 149th or whatever, find cheaper land, and be right there at your target consumer. There are too many other options for these developements in the area already....you're doubling up with this thing. Go farther down 44 and you're all of a sudden the big player. You may not get as much land, but if it's going to take 20 years to develop it, by the time you finish (which it wont'), you're outdated. It's just too much.
    It all relies on the economy, bomber. When things are good like they were a few years ago, and like they're beginning to become again as things start to heat up around town again, "30 year masterplans" are conservative timelines for work that will be done. When the economy is bad like it has been lately, it means "aint gonna happen just yet."

When things are good though, if you blink, you'll miss an entire area of town going up at once. I think my parents area of the city (between 89th and 149th) was virtually 90% built all at once between 85-95. I just try and imagine what all of that construction must have been like back then. Kind of like the Quail Springs/West Edmond area right now. OKC has always grown in big spurts. We just gotta get ready and do all the planning pre-spurt so things go smoothly and we get a better product this time, or at least better than the usual rum-dum sprawl for the sake of just getting financing approval (which is a very bad thing to have dictate a project).

I could envision a town center type development in Midwest City over and that all came to fruition in not even 10 years. So it could happen if they are really serious about it.

I am getting a strong vibe that Kirk is a big player in this deal.
    Oh Great, another "he's more successful than I hater".

I don't know what Spartan's feelings towards "Kirk" are, but what about his statement implies he is a "hater"? Seems rather neutral to me.

20. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

Quote Originally Posted by grandshoemaster View Post
    I could envision a town center type development in Midwest City over and that all came to fruition in not even 10 years. So it could happen if they are really serious about it.
    Town Center had the support of the city and a HUGE investment already put together from the sale of the hospital though. So the financing was there and the city was on board to clear the area out. If OKC was onboard the same way, this thing could move FAST. One advantage this area has is that it wouldn't have to be cleared of homes/businesses like Town Center did. But it's soooo big, that just the infrastrucutre is going to be a huge investment.

I know I sound like a Debbie Downer, but please don't think I'm against it. I would LOVE to see this thing develop, but after reading the pdf more, it just doesn't seem like it's been organized as much as it needs to....it's not even phased well to get started and build up.

It all relies on the economy, bomber. When things are good like they were a few years ago, and like they're beginning to become again as things start to heat up around town again, "30 year masterplans" are conservative timelines for work that will be done. When the economy is bad like it has been lately, it means "aint gonna happen just yet."

When things are good though, if you blink, you'll miss an entire area of town going up at once. I think my parents area of the city (between 89th and 149th) was virtually 90% built all at once between 85-95. I just try and imagine what all of that construction must have been like back then. Kind of like the Quail Springs/West Edmond area right now. OKC has always grown in big spurts. We just gotta get ready and do all the planning pre-spurt so things go smoothly and we get a better product this time, or at least better than the usual rum-dum sprawl for the sake of just getting financing approval (which is a very bad thing to have dictate a project).
    Spartan: True that, my ex-father-in-law lived at 149th and S. May - in 1978, there was hardly anything down that way, even at the next mile(s) to the North.
    Now, that area is still not developed a lot, but the miles to the north and east are. 149th and I-35 hardly recognizable from what it was in 1978 .

Interesting discussion in the Moore thread about Cabelas. Someone posted as if knowing a few details to the needs of a Cabelas store.

In regards to Moore;
    Quote Originally Posted by Consci View Post
    Sorry to disappoint but Cabelas probably won’t be coming ever, this is because they want 50 acres donated to them plus 2 million handed to them up front and the city will not just give them 2 million plus no one just wants to give them that much land.
    I thought this area, WWRA east side development could be a good fit for Cabelas and I think Okc could meet their demands here too.

23. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport - Eastside Commercial Development!

Could, but would? They're so similar to Bass Pro, i wonder if there was a stipulation in that contract? Or would the city get into a deal like that again that most tax payers were not a fan of.

Looks to me they are envisioning the area to develop similar to I-35 & 19th in Moore. I live near 104th & May and yeah, it's a 20-minute drive over to I-35. There is also a lot of commuter traffic that goes thru there on I-44 coming up from fast-growing McClain county (Blanchard, Tuttle, Bridge Creek, Newcastle), plus that whole "westmoore" area of OKC from the river up to OKCCC. Put in a JCP, Kohl's, Petsmart, Cheddars, etc. I think it could succeed, this area of town has money...

I'll miss the cows though.

No. They aren't planning a strip-mall. They are looking to make it urban. 2-story, ground floor retail, top floor offices, parking in back or along the side instead of in front. More like I40 and Sooner road.

Thread Information