Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber coming to OKC

1. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

At least Uber's surge pricing is legal..... Not so much when you're scammed by a pedi-cab....

Taken for a ride! Tourist charged $165 to travel less than a MILE in New York pedicab on New Year's Eve

2. Post Re: Uber coming to OKC

DC is #2, Chicago is #3, Vegas a distant #4. I would tend to agree with this, having traveled and used in these places.

According to Wikipedia:

New York - 13,237 taxis
    DC - 7,200 taxis
    Chicago - 6,650 taxis
    Vegas - 3,000+ taxis
    Los Angeles - 2,300 taxis
    Houston - 2,245 taxis
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

4. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Man, I really do miss personal accountability in America...

Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

I'm going to side with Uber here.

6. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Still cheaper than a DUI

7. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Regardless of legality or personal accountability - surging as high as they do and when they do it and their customer's ability to utilize social media to out them is going to be a bigger stumbling block IMO than anything else in their long term popularity with individuals and municipalities.

Maybe they want Uber to become a status symbol. "Wow, did you just arrive in an Uber on a Friday night!??! You must be loaded."

I could see 'Uber' morphing into the verb for "I just got screwed."

Personally, I keep both Uber and Lyft on my phone. If Uber is surging I can almost always guarantee Lyft is not. Oh, yeah, and I drive my own car 99% of the time and don't drink to excess.

I'm still shocked Lyft hasn't become more popular in light of Uber's missteps.

Note to self. Make and license a restaurant app people can use while they are waiting for a table. You can eat next if you're willing to pay ten times.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Note to self. Make and license a restaurant app people can use while they are waiting for a table. You can eat next if you're
    willing to pay ten times.
    Would that get named mapp-tre d' ?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Would that get named mapp-tre d' ?
    I'm thinking No Reservations, short for we don't take them and have No Reservations about how much we charge you.

I flip use uber and lyft and don't have an issue. Had one high priced ride in Austin on uber but a friend purchased it. The next night there was surge pricing and we waited a bit. (Like 30 min ) and no more surge. If you aren't smart enough to figure it out then you deserve a high fare.

12. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

I have both Uber and Lyft accounts, but have had difficulty getting Lyft rides during peak times. Surge pricing lures more Uber drivers into the pool, so there is rarely an availability issue. I think surge pricing gives you the peace of mind if you absolutely HAVE to have a car RIGHT NOW. Otherwise, know how it works and plan accordingly.

Oh, and Flywheel will always let you get a CAB, and their fares are regulated (and static). I have no problem with there being lots of choices in the marketplace, including the ability to pay a premium for a high-demand service and KNOW it will be there for you.

And if you think there wouldn't be a market for an app that lets you pay an upcharge to cut to the front of the line for a seat at a packed restaurant during a peak time you're nuts. In fact I'll bet it already exists in a major market somewhere. Ever hear of the Disney FastPass+?

There absolutely would be a market for that app. I use Uber and Halo when I'm in Chicago, to get cabs. Have never found the need in OKC.

There absolutely would be a market for that app. I use Uber and Halo when I'm in Chicago, to get cabs. Have never found the need in OKC.
    Even the Outbacks of the world let one get on the wait list before getting to the door,and folks have slipped a fair sized bill in the right hand for many a decade to get favorable treatment. SO yeah, a First 4 Thirst sort of app would play in the right environment.

exceptionally reasonable fee.

$25
    Chicken feed. I'm going for what the market will bear.

Chicken feed. I'm going for what the market will bear.
    So are you going to start with Nic's? Probably some money to be made there.

18. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Probably about the only place in OKC where you could LOL. Maybe Ted's of 20 years ago. On your bag phone...

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Probably about the only place in OKC where you could LOL. Maybe Ted's of 20 years ago. On your bag phone...
    Uber OKC revenue probably isn't a blip on the Uber financial statement, much less any OKC surge pricing revenue.

Don't like the fare, don't purchase it.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Don't like the fare, don't purchase it.
    Still cheaper than a DUI

22. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

I had a friend whose bill from Midtown to Edmond was $553 on NYE at 2 am. But like has already been mentioned there were so many different warnings from Uber beforehand it's hard to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    ... bill from Midtown to Edmond was $553 on NYE at 2 am. ...
    A fee easily avoided by leaving earlier or later, or using another service. And, as already noted, still way, way, way cheaper than a dui arrestt.
    Let's set aside bond fee, attorney fee, court costs, fine for the moment. The DUI assessment fee, and even a short DUI school, along with the victim impact fee, will run close to this amount. And then there's the probation office fee, the DL modification fee, the subsequent DL reinstatement fee, the months of interlock rental fee, and oh yeah, all those fees and costs that we ignored at the outset.

Not a fan of Uber surge pricing, but even 2X a 553 Uber fee is cheaper than the alternative, and that presumes you actually get home with neither property damage nor bodily injury issues.

24. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Anyone know the status of the Uber and Lyft's applications for license to operate in OKC?

According to a Nov. 24 Gazette article both companies were to submit license applications soon.

Gazette: Uber, Lyft have 30 days to apply for licenses

Thread Information