Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn Square Mall

Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    When does gamestop's lease expire? I wonder if they would have a store closing sale before they closed so I can get some deals on games
    I would assume GameStop would be eager to get out of there since they have a store right next door in Belle Isle Station.

I also noticed that they have a SmashBurger in that same strip. I wonder if that ever confuses anyone. Does anyone ever accidentally wander into SmashBurger and ask if they've got any used copies of Halo 4?

Also, can someone tell me what Windsor is? What kinda store is it and what makes it look bad or cheap?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7Zjljo6.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	3636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GsGNYox.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	3637  

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I would assume GameStop would be eager to get out of there since they have a store right next door in Belle Isle Station.

I also noticed that they have a SmashBurger in that same strip. I wonder if that ever confuses anyone. Does anyone ever accidentally wander into SmashBurger and ask if they've got any used copies of Halo 4?
    I think it's the other way around lol

GameBurger

GameBurger
    Buy a game, get a free burger!

GameBurger
    hey, sounds good to me lol

Payless can leave as far as I'm concerned, their shoes are not great at all. I had some dress shoes from there that tore up after 6 months. When does gamestop's lease expire? I wonder if they would have a store closing sale before they closed so I can get some deals on games
    They would probably move them to another store, many of those companies control their pricing and don't allow deep discounts if you want to keep doing business with them.

I was just in Penn and was amazed by how ridiculous the Thunder store looked. The location is way too big for the amount of merch they carried. Their stock looked like it could have fit in a space the size of Gymboree or maybe even Spencer's Gifts (speaking of low-end tenants, when will this shop finally get the boot? Can any mall with a Spencer's really be high end?). You could set up a half court in the unused space. Maybe it's just because they're new and more will be coming, but I can't imagine this shop not being a complete waste of mall space unless it moves to one of the much smaller storefronts.

Do we know if Simon's strategy to raise rates in order to push out lower end tenants extends to the food court? If it doesn't, I'm not sure the money being used to improve the look of their food court will mean much in the long run. The world's nicest tables couldn't improve the view there if the surrounding restaurants still look trashy. The very nice Paciugo Gelato looks so out of place among its neighbors.

Also, can someone tell me what Windsor is? What kinda store is it and what makes it look bad or cheap?
    Windsor is a women's (or teen maybe?) clothing store. They always seem to feature prom-style dresses in the front windows no matter what time of year it is, so I've always assumed their target market is filled with high school girls and pageant contestants. The casual clothes you can see from the entry way look less trashy than those from Body Central, but I imagine they share a customer base.

Thunder store is temporary. The space was availabe so the Thunder store went there.

Spencer's is in every mall, they're in Woodland also which is basically the Tulsa Penn Square, and quail springs. They should put in an Orange Julius/DQ in the food court. I haven't had a Julius in ages ever since the one at Crossroads closed.

Bachrach is now closing, everything in their store is 50-70% off. I'm kind of surprised Penn has not kicked out the not so upscale tenants like WINDSOR, Body Central and Payless
    Payless will be leaving as soon as their lease is up. I seem to remember being told that there was more than a year left on their lease. But regardless, they will be leaving when it is up. The mall is not going to allow them to renew.

HangryHippo Guest

yukong, do you know if:

1) the Thunder store is a permanent addition to the mall (albeit in a different store front)

2) what will go in the storefront when the Thunder store moves?

I haven't had a Julius in ages ever since the one at Crossroads closed.
    There's an Orange Julius stand at QS. Hit it up sometime bruh!

Spencer's is in every mall, they're in Woodland also which is basically the Tulsa Penn Square, and quail springs. They should put in an Orange Julius/DQ in the food court. I haven't had a Julius in ages ever since the one at Crossroads closed.
    Spencer's is definitely not high end, but there are many worse tenants. Spencer's can stay if Payless, Gamestop, and the Body Shop leave. Penn Square is upscale by OKC standards but its still not Utica Square Tulsa, Southpark Charlotte, or Northpark Dallas. Most malls at Penn Square's level have stores like Spencers and Hot Topic.

WINDSOR on the other hand I don't think is a chain and its the kind of store you typically see in dying malls shortly before their death. It definitely doesn't belong in Penn Square and I wonder why or how it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Spencer's is definitely not high end, but there are many worse tenants. Spencer's can stay if Payless, Gamestop, and the Body Shop leave. Penn Square is upscale by OKC standards but its still not Utica Square Tulsa, Southpark Charlotte, or Northpark Dallas. Most malls at Penn Square's level have stores like Spencers and Hot Topic.

WINDSOR on the other hand I don't think is a chain and its the kind of store you typically see in dying malls shortly before their death. It definitely doesn't belong in Penn Square and I wonder why or how it's still there.
    Spencer's manages to get into a few upscale malls. There's one at the Houston Galleria which surprised me.

Spencer's is definitely not high end, but there are many worse tenants.
    Eh, worse is in the eye of the beholder. Though I definitely welcome its departure, I can think of good reasons to shop at Payless. There are no good reasons to buy stuff from Spencer's. The only plus in the Spencer's column is that it occupies a tiny, windowless space so its trashy wares are largely hidden from view if you don't go in.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Spencer's manages to get into a few upscale malls. There's one at the Houston Galleria which surprised me.
    All of the Spencer's I know of in nice malls are ones that have been there for at least 20 years, and were brought on when the property developers were more focused on having a large quantity of tenants rather than on having high quality tenants. I'm wondering if the chain has some sort of talent getting super special leasing agreements from malls early on, and are thus able to stay as a mall evolves and begins to chase other low end tenants off. Otherwise, I don't know how the math would work out that rent at Penn Square would be too high for a shop like Lane Bryant, but feasible for Spencer's. I know they rent a much smaller space, but I can't imagine that most people who go into Spencer's to gawk at the merchandise spend much money there. Boys in middle school aren't known for having an abundance of spending money.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Houston Galleria seemed to me like an mall that covered the entire spectrum from very upscale down to your typical teen chains. It's also one of the largest malls in America and is a tourist attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by shriekingviolet View Post
    Eh, worse is in the eye of the beholder. Though I definitely welcome its departure, I can think of good reasons to shop at Payless. There are no good reasons to buy stuff from Spencer's. The only plus in the Spencer's column is that it occupies a tiny, windowless space so its trashy wares are largely hidden from view if you don't go in.
    There is definitely a market for Payless, but when there is a location in virtually every corner strip mall in the metro, it doesn't need to occupy a huge storefront in the city's premier shopping center.

Payless does not belong in any mall, it would be like putting a Walgreens inside Penn Square it wouldn't make any sense at all

Galleria is huge, it has 4 sections to it, the Galleria III is probably the most dead section of the mall, it's outdated, vacancies and low end stores, Did I mention it's a pain to get to that section of the mall?

Payless does not belong in any mall, it would be like putting a Walgreens inside Penn Square it wouldn't make any sense at all

Galleria is huge, it has 4 sections to it, the Galleria III is probably the most dead section of the mall, it's outdated, vacancies and low end stores, Did I mention it's a pain to get to that section of the mall?
    Payless used to be a major mall tenant. Virtually all of the malls back in the 80s and early 90s, at least that I remember, had Payless.

They weren't in OKC, they were in strip malls or stand alone buildings. I worked at the one at Britton & May (the strip in front of the old Albertson's) for about 5 months. I don't think they went into any OKC malls until the mid to late 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    yukong, do you know if:

1) the Thunder store is a permanent addition to the mall (albeit in a different store front)

2) what will go in the storefront when the Thunder store moves?

1. the word I got was that the Thunder store was temporary...to run through the playoffs. But...if it does well, I hear that it may be permanent. It is a wait/see deal.

2. The last I heard, there was no permanent tenant lined up for the space. The Lane Bryant space was actually 3 stores at one time. Then it was made into the one Lane Bryant. Speculation is that it will be made into at least 2 stores. Could even go back to three, but I doubt that. The dividing walls are still there for the most part. It is a huge space. It would take a big tenant to fill that space.

Coldwater Creek is back open. There is now a walled off dead space about 6 feet wide that will become part of the Microsoft store once Bachrach closes.

No, Promenade Mall is Tulsa's Penn Square, while Woodland Hills is Tulsa's Quail Creek Mall.

Did they finish upgrading the food court?

Blog Entries

Not at all. Ate there for lunch yesterday. Still totally torn up.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Not at all. Ate there for lunch yesterday. Still totally torn up.
    They must be taking their sweet time then

Thread Information