Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: What businesses do you miss?

Default Re: What businesses do you miss?

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Drove past the old Sambo's today and it was on Classen, not Western. LOL I really loved that place. That is until I went in one morning with a friend, both of us wearing bell bottom blue jeans and tank tops. They refused us service, saying "no shirt, no shoes, no service". I left and never went back. Of course that was my stupid '20s attitude.

Today it is Jeff's Country Cafe.
    There was a Sambo's at S.W. 36th and Western, that's probably where he was referring!!

I miss Doncene's Hobby shop and all the things they did with and for the kids. Could you imagine what you would get if there was a model Car Contest today????

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    I miss Doncene's Hobby shop and all the things they did with and for the kids. Could you imagine what you would get if there was a model Car Contest today????
    Probably just some old guys like us.

Is that where you got the model glue for huffing?

The only time I ever took anything from a TG&Y store was when I raided a box for some wheels. The manager's son caught me and made me put them back. He threatened to tell his dad. That was Lloyd Lovely (the son) who I worked with years later at the TG&Y HQ office. His dad managed several stores, but he was managing the 36th and Western store at the time (#37?).

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Is that where you got the model glue for huffing?
    Gen/64 Sniffed glue and huffed gasoline, paint thinner & Paint! He was very picky back then!!

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    Gen/64 Sniffed glue and huffed gasoline, paint thinner & Paint! He was very picky back then!!
    I still huff paint every day i just don't notice it anymore.

Roy Williams, a professional painter extraordinaire, was sealing a floor at TG&Y HQ back in about 1979 and came out of the room with a glazed look on his face. The sealer had a high acetone content and almost got him. He went back in after a 10 minute break with me warning him not to stay in so long this time. He said "how else can I stay high and get paid for it?"

Roy Williams, a professional painter extraordinaire, was sealing a floor at TG&Y HQ back in about 1979 and came out of the room with a glazed look on his face. The sealer had a high acetone content and almost got him. He went back in after a 10 minute break with me warning him not to stay in so long this time. He said "how else can I stay high and get paid for it?"
    You can lose some brain cells that way

Quote Originally Posted by sam greenroyd View Post
    I've reached the point to where I can't spare any!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sam greenroyd View Post
    What's wrong with that? You lose brain cells by drinking alcohol!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Tony's Italian Specialties at 28th and N. Penn. Nice people and wonderful food.
    OH WOW !! I have alot of great memories from this place and I knew Tony . Really nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by lt14life View Post
    OH WOW !! I have alot of great memories from this place and I knew Tony . Really nice guy.
    The place that introduced me to meatball subs and canneloni.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    The place that introduced me to meatball subs and canneloni.
    The best linguine and white clam sauce!!!

15. Default Re: What businesses do you miss?

1. Sheen Drug Co.

Del Rancho on S. Western soon to reopen as "Tony's Tacos."

Magic shop in the lobby of the Black Hotel. It meant more when I was 10 than it would now.

I also miss the crispy toppings on Shotgun Sams pizzas.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    Magic shop in the lobby of the Black Hotel. It meant more when I was 10 than it would now.

I also miss the crispy toppings on Shotgun Sams pizzas.
    I miss Shotguns and Pizza Planet.

19. Default Re: What businesses do you miss?

Ohhh, Shotgun Sams used cornmeal on the bottom of the crust next to the aluminum pan which toasted the cornmeal. That gave it a great flavor - they also figured out how to crisp up and sort of char the edges of the pepperoni. It was also great pizza.

I'm pretty sure I saw it before, but Shakey's was awesome. I especially loved their "bunch of lunch" with all the fried chicken and mojo potatoes you could eat, plus pizza too.

I'm pretty sure I saw it before, but Shakey's was awesome. I especially loved their "bunch of lunch" with all the fried chicken and mojo potatoes you could eat, plus pizza too.
    The Round Up in del city still has that menu and it used to be shakeys

One of the business establishments that hasn't been mentioned much was C.R. Anthony. They always had what you needed in clothing or whatever. You could get a good suit at a good price or a pair of Levi's/Wranglers before Wal-Mart or TG&Y could even think of selling them.....They sold IZOD shirts for a while....$3.99 each......does anyone else have memories of Anthony's?????

The one in Reding Shopping Center had something like a tube that sent your money to the office if I remember. Also, the Streets store in Reding was also a great place to shop for women's clothes.

I remember shopping at the Reding location rather than the Capitol Hill store. Not sure the brand but they had the polo shirts with the penguin on the left chest area. First shirt of "class" that I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    I remember shopping at the Reding location rather than the Capitol Hill store. Not sure the brand but they had the polo shirts with the penguin on the left chest area. First shirt of "class" that I can remember.
    ================================================== =========
    That was munsingwear shirts.....Anthony's would sometimes carry over runs and or seconds....The one at Airline Shopping Center seemed to be an exceptional store. I bought some of them (Izods) and didn't realize I had spent my whole paycheck for the week and had no money for a date....Looked good though...

Thread Information