Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Odot

Default Re: Odot

The whole reason the Belle Isle Bridge was built to begin with was because of the Belle Isle Lake below it. Since that is no longer there, I question the need for the bridges.

I believe that is what they build at I-35 & Main in Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    The whole reason the Belle Isle Bridge was built to begin with was because of the Belle Isle Lake below it. Since that is no longer there, I question the need for the bridges.
    That's my thought as well. The issue now is the right of way issues. You have businesses like those restaurants and that tall bank building and the Belle Isle street there in front of Walmart and that shopping center that would be too close to the highway if not on the highway if it were put back at ground level.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Alt. 2

This is the alternative chosen for the I-44/I-35 interchange. They went with alt. 2 which is good, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    That's my thought as well. The issue now is the right of way issues. You have businesses like those restaurants and that tall bank building and the Belle Isle street there in front of Walmart and that shopping center that would be too close to the highway if not on the highway if it were put back at ground level.
    So let's not rebuild a highway. Let's divvy up the traffic that currently uses that stretch of I-44 and disperse it among the city streets. That still leaves plenty of freeway lanes for all of you that need to drive everywhere. Would save so much money that way!

The other good thing too is they are rebuilding the I-44/I-35 interchange which will allow them to ultimately expand the highway east to the new turnpike once it's built.

Hopefully we will see them convert 39th Expressway into a fully controlled access freeway within the next 10 years.

Here is an article from News 9 about the Belle Isle bridge portion: http://www.news9.com/story/32141820/...le-isle-bridge

I am excited to see the alternatives!

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    That's not really an issue. There is a lot more clearance than you think between the actual bridge and those buildings. The two bridges are actually separated by a good amount also so that's another area they can free up some space.

The biggest issue is the complicated interchange that would be needed at northwest expressway. That road coming from the Belle Isle shopping center would have to be moved. Its in an awkward spot right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    That's not really an issue. There is a lot more clearance than you think between the actual bridge and those buildings. The two bridges are actually separated by a good amount also so that's another area they can free up some space.

The biggest issue is the complicated interchange that would be needed at northwest expressway. That road coming from the Belle Isle shopping center would have to be moved. Its in an awkward spot right now.
    I bet we end up with it rebuilt similar to how it currently is set up. Looking at the existing bridges it looks like they could handle two lanes in each direction on a single bridge during construction with no shoulder. They could put all traffic on one bridge while the other is rebuilt and then switch to new bridge when second is rebuilt. I'd think this would be the cheapest way to avoid reconstructing interchanges. Just my thoughts.

Hopefully they make it 8 lanes instead of six to plan ahead for this one so they don't have to mess with it for the majority of its lifespan.

http://journalrecord.com/2016/06/02/...ridge-capitol/

From what I have heard, they will either build a bridge significantly lower than the current one or go below grade in some areas. Will be interesting to see the plans for the creek if they do go below grade.
    Study it after completely refurbishing most if not every pier and deck work at the joints, can we try not putting the cart before the horse. Granted I think it was done as emergency measure when they found problems in one or more of the piers but that likely only means we paid more to kick the can down the road on this.

If they rebuild it it makes no sense for it to be one bridge again, in the long run it would be cheaper to build up a dirt berm like they have on either side and only have bridges at the major roads and river it crosses and place the road surface on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Study it after completely refurbishing most if not every pier and deck work at the joints, can we try not putting the cart before the horse. Granted I think it was done as emergency measure when they found problems in one or more of the piers but that likely only means we paid more to kick the can down the road on this.

If they rebuild it it makes no sense for it to be one bridge again, in the long run it would be cheaper to build up a dirt berm like they have on either side and only have bridges at the major roads and river it crosses and place the road surface on that.
    Dirt berm's take up a lot of ROW, no? That could work. It'd certainly help for ice storms. They are mentioning several new grade sections so it certainly seems like they are trying to avoid bridges as much as possible. ODOT always seems to do that anyways, vs. Texas seems to love build bridges. I love bridges personally, but I think an at or below grade would be best here.

Dirt berm's take up a lot of ROW, no? That could work. It'd certainly help for ice storms. They are mentioning several new grade sections so it certainly seems like they are trying to avoid bridges as much as possible. ODOT always seems to do that anyways, vs. Texas seems to love build bridges. I love bridges personally, but I think an at or below grade would be best here.
    I have doubts about at grade or below grade; below grade under a river, then either side of the bridge is already pretty high and there is not much reason to mess with the city streets height either. They have tones of ROW to start from with like forty feet on either side, plus if they move the lanes to the center and the exits to the right hand lanes.

Those are all good points. It will be very interesting to see this study. I am guessing it will take over a year? I had read somewhere ODOT will put this on its 8 plan so I assume it will either be the 2024 or possibly even 2025 plan. Thinking maybe a decade before its completely rebuilt?

Would have been nice if OKC had made the finalist list.

https://www.transportation.gov/smartcity
    Last edited by loveOKC; 06-14-2016 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Edit link

So it says SH66 Trail... Do you think that pertains to a one segment of the system that is suppose to go all the way around the lake or is this strictly just a sidewalk that will be extended beyond OCS along the south curb of Route 66? Cause, ya know, they have that biking/hiking trail behind the fence line.

Looks like ODOT is looking at ways to get better revenue. I hope something changes for the better and perhaps them even being able to take out bonds for road and highway projects.

http://www.news9.com/story/32599155/...unding-options

Anyone know what's fixing to take place on Airport Road (152)?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Too early for the Kilpatrick extension?

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Too early for the Kilpatrick extension?
    Could possibly be. They are already working on I-44 widening the lanes and reconstructing it as well as the Muskogee Turnpike. I believe the Turner Turnpike is about to begin by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post

My guess is work on the bridge. There are signs on the road say bridge height 14 feet 6 inches when the sign on the bridge say 16 feet 2 inches. Also there orange cones the run along the road near the bridge.

They have been painting a lot of bridges along I-44 lately.

Two questions: would it ever be likely that one day, specifically once the Highway 9, I-35 project is complete, we could see signs for "No Trucks Left Lane" kind of deal from say from the Highway 9 West exit by Riverwind to near downtown? I know this is done in a lot of portions of 35 in central Texas, and would it help alleviate some congestion with semi drivers in the left lane? Or perhaps it's not an overwhelmingly huge issue at this time.

This also brings me to another question: Could there ever be an "Express" lane on 35 from Norman to downtown? Or maybe even an HOV lane?? I realize with an express lane, all of 35 would probably have to be expanded to eight lanes so that the very inner lanes could be used as express lanes. But would this help with rush hour by getting those commuters a straight shot instead of having to deal with the merging on and off of other exit ramps?

Quote Originally Posted by gman11695 View Post
    Two questions: would it ever be likely that one day, specifically once the Highway 9, I-35 project is complete, we could see signs for "No Trucks Left Lane" kind of deal from say from the Highway 9 West exit by Riverwind to near downtown? I know this is done in a lot of portions of 35 in central Texas, and would it help alleviate some congestion with semi drivers in the left lane? Or perhaps it's not an overwhelmingly huge issue at this time.

This also brings me to another question: Could there ever be an "Express" lane on 35 from Norman to downtown? Or maybe even an HOV lane?? I realize with an express lane, all of 35 would probably have to be expanded to eight lanes so that the very inner lanes could be used as express lanes. But would this help with rush hour by getting those commuters a straight shot instead of having to deal with the merging on and off of other exit ramps?
    I would rather have a commuter rail into downtown before we add HOV/Express Lane personally.

Thread Information