Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 486 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232469119 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon Energy Center

1. Default Re: Devon Tower

Edit - No personal attacks! Stay on point please. ~ Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 08-22-2008 at 08:14 AM.

2. Default Re: Devon Tower

I haven't seen this mention anywhere. I can't say how I know, but there will be two underground parking levels under the podium, rotunda, and tower.

Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Architect, I like your skyline rendering but one criticism.

Chase seems like it's too short.

Chase is almost 100 feet taller than OK tower and from every angle it is taller, yet on your west view angles, chase looks shorter. I think you might want to add a little bit to Chase, it is a 500 foot skyscraper - not bad and certainly much taller than anything else downotwn right now.
    A lesson in Point of View and Perspective...........

Image 1 - A true elevation which you will not see from any point of view...only 2d on paper.

Image 2 - View looking southeast. Buildings closer to you seem taller...........

Image 3 - View looking Northwest................

Go take a look at the skyline from these same viewpoints and see..............

Has anyone ever noticed the view of the skyline driving from the airport? You see Chase standing alone to the right and the other talls - First, City Place, Ok Tower, and Sandridge grouped together standing at about the same height. Probably the most unflattering view of the skyline IMO.

Won't this be great view to come home to and for visitors flying in to see..........

im just glad we'll have a signature architectural building there are some nice building around town but nothing of this calibur. We should look to Kansas City and Louisville both have or will add amazing new buildings downtown

Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, Missouri

Sprint Center, Kansa City, Missouri
    Architecture of Kansas City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Muhammad Ali Center in Louisville, Kentucky,

Museum Plaza Louisville, Kentucky

Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston
    Last edited by okcustu; 08-21-2008 at 11:54 PM. Reason: bad picture link

I'm sorry, but that second to last image just doesn't do it for me. Looks like an old rickety wooden ladder a painter uses for spot jobs...

7. Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by architect5311 View Post
    A lesson in Point of View and Perspective...........

Image 1 - A true elevation which you will not see from any point of view...only 2d on paper.
    ]

Go take a look at the skyline from these same viewpoints and see..............
    I understand prospective - and I know the real feel of OKC's skyline, that's why I said it appears you have Chase artificially too small.

Chase loses vertical height ONLY when the skyline is viewed from very close up and other buildings are in front of you. Say, go to Main Street at the Montgomery, look toward the skyline and OK Tower appears taller from that prospective.

HOWEVER, look at the same view from the Fairgrounds or I-40 (same orientation right, just further away), and Chase dominates significantly since it is 500 feet.

Take your SW/Airport view. If you consider that prospective, Chase should be significantlly taller than other existing (and it is when viewed in reality), yet in your sketch it is almost at par. I've seen that view hundereds of times (if not thousands) and Chase is significantly taller from all angles UNLESS you're close to the skyline (then it 'shrinks' when viewed from the west).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I also noticed that all of the buildings appear to lean in towards the center of the photo. What's up with that? Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    I haven't seen this mention anywhere. I can't say how I know, but there will be two underground parking levels under the podium, rotunda, and tower.
    I'm not sure if that is entirely accurate, but they did mention that there would be an underground service garage for deliveries, trash, etc. I did not get the impression that this would be employee parking, although I suppose they might have a section down there for the execs.

10. Default Re: Devon Tower

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    I also noticed that all of the buildings appear to lean in towards the center of the photo. What's up with that? Just kidding.
    It's the gravitational pull from the Devon Tower. The structure is so massive, it's literally sucking in satellite towers for orbit.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post
    It's the gravitational pull from the Devon Tower. The structure is so massive, it's literally sucking in satellite towers for orbit.
    I know that was meant as a joke (and it was funny) but that is exactly what I hope will happen. When you look at other cities that went with the one dominant tower, other towers soon followed.

Quote Originally Posted by stickboy View Post
    I'm not sure if that is entirely accurate, but they did mention that there would be an underground service garage for deliveries, trash, etc. I did not get the impression that this would be employee parking, although I suppose they might have a section down there for the execs.
    I can't say how I know... but jbrown is entirely accurate.

I still can't say how I know... but there will not be a pedestrian bridge over Sheridan... nor any concrete plans to use the tunnel that already exists either... the "connection" with the gardens is more of a visual tie on the street level.

Would you say that is accurate jbrown??? *hehe*

14. Default Re: Devon Tower

I can't wait to see that view from the west!

15. Default Re: Devon Tower

Devon Tower to give Oklahoma City projects a boost | NewsOK.com

By Steve Lackmeyer
    Business Writer

Millions of new dollars likely will flow into an account set up for downtown development once Devon Tower opens in 2012.

Tax increment financing, which recaptures increased property taxes downtown, will be the recipient of all property taxes generated by the 54-story tower because it is an Urban Renewal project.

And if it appraises at the estimated $750 million, that would translate into $7.5 million a year.

"It's a big deal,” said Brett Hamm, president of Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. "Limited TIF funding has been one of our biggest challenges. We've had to be almost too selective in the projects we could commit funding to.”

When designs for the tower were unveiled Wednesday, Devon Chief Executive Officer Larry Nichols indicated his company will seek only a portion of the TIF funds it generates toward creation of a park along Sheridan Avenue.

Nichols said he would like to see much of the TIF used to overhaul the Myriad Gardens and improve the immediate neighborhood.

Appraisal remains
    Both goals are shared by Assistant City Manager Cathy O'Connor, who has tracked the TIF program since it was established in 2001.

She said the city is preparing to work with Devon on planning TIF projects for the area, but she cautions against assuming the tower will be appraised at $750 million.

"First it will need to get built and put on tax rolls,” O'Connor said.

"But if it really gets assessed at $750 million, then yes, it will provide $7.5 million a year into the TIF district.”

And that might not be all. O'Connor said the county's collection of personal property taxes on furniture, fixtures and equipment in the new tower also will be entirely directed into the TIF.

Add to that the potential for 50 percent of any increase in property values at the former Kerr-McGee Tower being renovated by SandRidge Energy, and the downtown TIF budget plan is widely expected to see a bonanza in the next few years.

Brent Bryant, economic development program manager at the city, reports the fund is already growing thanks to the opening of the Skirvin Hilton hotel, Legacy at Arts Quarter apartments and The Centennial — all Urban Renewal projects.

Collections between 2001 and 2006 totaled $6.8 million.

The amount for last year totaled $2.7 million.

Bryant estimates it will jump to $3.5 million next year.

Plenty of takers
    O'Connor sees no shortage of takers for any increase in TIF funding — and she said she strongly believes Devon's project will be followed by more high-rises in the immediate neighborhood.

"There is an element of spin-off here,” O'Connor said.

O'Connor, who was one of the key team members credited with putting together financing for the Skirvin renovation, said the TIF has been a critical component of downtown's resurgence.

"Just think about what we put into the Skirvin — we couldn't have done it without the TIF,” O'Connor said.

"And I think that's true with every project we've participated in. They wouldn't have been completed in the time they were done, or to the quality we've seen, without it.”

16. Default Re: Devon Tower

What is in the building with the atrium on the roof at the northwest corner of Hudson and Sheridan? It would be an awesome location for luxury condos!!! Is there a pool up there? And does anyone know if there are any plans to develop Sheridan between Hudson and Classen? It is one of the most delpaitaed areas left in downtown and deserves much better, otherwise I may have to list it on the "scariest places" thread.

Also, what do they use the Stage Center for these days. The only time I'm in that area is during the festival of the arts...which may or may not be affected by the Devon construction. I hope not, that would be a shame to see, especially with alll the potential for that area in a few years

That is the old Black Hotel.... checkout Film Row regarding development on Sheridan between hudson and Classen.

Going back to what the Dallas-ites are saying, they are now mentioning that Chesapeake should do that there. I wonder if they realize that CHK is another OKC-based company?

NThomas from Denton states:

"This looks great! Is there any info on what the atrium looking building at the base will house?

Despite the economy, Devon is in a sector that is still doing ok. I don't see them filling for ch. 11 anytime soon.

If only Chesapeake would do the same here... (No, the Pier 1 building lease doesn't count, I want a new building!)"

Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum - OKC Devon Energy Tower (925 ft, 54 st)

Even the DMN omits the fact that CHK is based in OKC. Note that they point out that Chief O&G is "Dallas-based" but mention nothing about the whereabouts of CHK HQ. Not that they need to but I just wish they would. It gives OKC great pub.

Dallas-Fort Worth's energy boom is prominent factor in office market | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Business News

Quote Originally Posted by westsidesooner View Post
    Also, what do they use the Stage Center for these days. The only time I'm in that area is during the festival of the arts...which may or may not be affected by the Devon construction. I hope not, that would be a shame to see, especially with alll the potential for that area in a few years
    Stage Center is currently owned by the OKC Arts Council, on land belonging to the Kirkpatrick family. It is operated by the Civic Center Music Hall through a contract with the City.

It is still used by Carpenter Square Theatre, and other smaller local performing arts groups. It also houses several arts-related offices.

There are hopes that future funding may be found so it can undergo a significant renovation.

As unique as the architecture is, the building has several design flaws which keep it from living up to its potential.

22. Default Re: Devon Tower

As long as the original design concept stays. It's a very unique building and I would hate to see it lose its edge by covering with it with stucco or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by autoMATTic View Post
    I wonder if they realize that CHK is another OKC-based company?
    I posted that tidbit... but my membership is waiting to be approved or something... *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    I posted that tidbit... but my membership is waiting to be approved or something... *sigh*
    HAHA... I was wondering why someone had not already jumped on that. It seems that you have.

I think they are referring to the fact Chesapeake recently purchased the former Pier I hq in Fort Worth, significantly increasing their presence in the DFW area.

But yeah, the DMN, should have said something like 'the Oklahoma-based company.....'

Thread Information