Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 217 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232469119 ... LastLast

Thread: Convention Center

1. Default Re: Convention Center & Hotel

I don't really see anything wrong with Devon buying the naming rights. I am sure that there will be a hefty price tag and there are only a hand full of local companies that could do it.

Default Re: Convention Center & Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    I don't really see anything wrong with Devon buying the naming rights. I am sure that there will be a hefty price tag and there are only a hand full of local companies that could do it.
    Perhaps Devon, Chesapeake, and SandRidge could combine forces and this could be called the
    'DevoChesaRidge Convention Center'.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Maybe - but they still have to find a way to keep from putting loading docks along MBG, the new boulevard, or the arena. They can't put them on the west side because that is the expansion side.
    If the exhibition hall is below ground level the loading docks will probably be below ground level and covered. The loading dock for the arena is below ground level but only partially covered.

Or how about this... assume that Devon does get the naming rights. Then, using the mayor's naming proclivities, we could call it the 'Oklahoma City Home Of the Thunder Devon Energy Convention Center'
    OKCHOTDECC

(then locals could call it the "hot deck")

Quote Originally Posted by RodH View Post
    If the exhibition hall is below ground level the loading docks will probably be below ground level and covered. The loading dock for the arena is below ground level but only partially covered.
    So how do you get a semi 40 feet underground? Are they going to do one of those long ramps like lilke the Arena has - only longer and deeper? Where does that go, along the boulevard or MBG?

has anyone else ever been to Moscone Center in San Fran? i was there all this last week, and never saw a loading dock once that i recall... i'm sure for Moscone West it is down the alley to the north. but they have several exhibit halls and ballrooms underground, and there are not ridiculous loading dock areas that i saw that were visible. In fact the largest ballroom they have, sits right under Howard street. If they are able to do this and not have any serious eyesore loading docks, why can't ours?

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    has anyone else ever been to Moscone Center in San Fran? i was there all this last week, and never saw a loading dock once that i recall... i'm sure for Moscone West it is down the alley to the north. but they have several exhibit halls and ballrooms underground, and there are not ridiculous loading dock areas that i saw that were visible. In fact the largest ballroom they have, sits right under Howard street. If they are able to do this and not have any serious eyesore loading docks, why can't ours?
    They are on 3rd St for enterance and 4th st for the exit. If you go to Google Earth street view you can see 5 trucks parked in the street waiting to unload (and what looks like a 6th truck waiting on the other side of the intersection). For Moscone West the enterance is right on Howard.

Can it be done - yes. Can it be done for $250 million and look good against an new boulevard and MBG - we will soon find out.

They are on 3rd St. If you go to Google Earth street view you can see 5 trucks parked in the street waiting to unload (and what looks like a 6th truck waiting on the other side of the intersection).
    still not a giant eyesore. done quite nice actually

It can be done. Remember that they will have six blocks to work with. Devon also has underground loading docks. Raleigh's convention center has a fully covered loading dock that is accessed from the park accross the street. There is enough ROW for them to use the arena ramp and continue it under Robinson.

Having the loading docks underground is not a problem. Are they a challenge?, yes costly?, they can be, probably more than just backing up a semi off the street, but going underground with multiple semi's is very doable. The Chamber toured Charolette's CC which has 20 loading docks underground. They loved that particular set up. It's an underground drive through system in which the semi's enter on one side and exit the other. They onlt seen from the street exiting and leaving. They never have to turn around. They pull down a ramp into a linear tunnel and then pull up to whatever dock is adjacent to the hall in which the load is needed. This maximizes the flexibility and allows several simultaneous shows/exibits to take place. There are no issues with temorary disruptions, lengthy travel distance of heavy loads, or long unloading/loading times.

But I doubt the cost for underground docks is low. Why spend money you don't have to? There are better locations that would likely allow more money to be spent on the building, rather than hiding loading docks. That's unless we have data that shows that multiple shows with semis full of stuff are fighting for the same time slots in Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by LuccaBrasi View Post
    The Chamber toured Charolette's CC which has 20 loading docks underground.
    Please don't use the Charlotte Convention Center to persuade anyone. Charlotte spends $30 million a year to service the debt on their vastly underperforming convention center.

Selling Charlotte: Convention business requires millions from taxpayers | CharlotteObserver.com

Please don't use the Charlotte Convention Center to persuade anyone. Charlotte spends $30 million a year to service the debt on their vastly underperforming convention center.

Selling Charlotte: Convention business requires millions from taxpayers | CharlotteObserver.com
    Not surprising. Wake up Mike Carrier and Roy Williams!

Quote Originally Posted by RodH View Post
    It can be done. Remember that they will have six blocks to work with. Devon also has underground loading docks. Raleigh's convention center has a fully covered loading dock that is accessed from the park accross the street. There is enough ROW for them to use the arena ramp and continue it under Robinson.
    It would have to turn to the south and go under the boulevard or right beside it to avoid hitting underground piers that I imagine were put in to support the grand entrance. Thats a good size tunnel they would need to build.

How much space does the exbition hall need? The more complex an underground loading facility is, the more underground space it steals.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    How much space does the exbition hall need? The more complex an underground loading facility is, the more underground space it steals.
    I assume it would need to be bigger than what is already available at COX, otherwise, what the hell are we doing building a smaller convention center to attract bigger conventions? COX has 100,000 sq feet of contiguous exhibition space.

of course they do ... that is why our system is better .... we won't have any debt on our CC

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    of course they do ... that is why our system is better .... we won't have any debt on our CC
    Actually, I mis-quoted them. Only about $20 million is used to service the debt, the other $10 million is to cover operating losses and direct payments to conventions to lure them to Charlotte. Plus, the room-night estimates are coming in 75% below estimates.

When the Convention Center was being planned, it was forecast to produce 528,800 hotel-room nights a year to fulfill its mission of putting “heads in beds.”
    It has never come close to that.
    In fiscal year 2011, it produced 142,000 room nights

Read more here: Selling Charlotte: Convention business requires millions from taxpayers | CharlotteObserver.com

We desperately need improvements in downtown attractions to even attract more people to OKC for conventions: I'd like to say more retail, but I almost have to say some retail at all, finish the Native American Cultural Center, create an Adventure Line so people can easily get to the Adventure District .....something! There's no way I'd come here for a convention if I lived elsewhere when I can go to cities that have things for me and my family to do.

I am not opposed to a new convention but I sure don't like be lied to by all these projects that will NEVER turn out to be true. I want a new convention center so the Cox site can be redeveloped.

I am not opposed to a new convention but I sure don't like be lied to by all these projects that will NEVER turn out to be true. I want a new convention center so the Cox site can be redeveloped.
    How could they lie to you? They have been communicating with the citizens of OKC. I do not think they would go out of their way to lie to someone in florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsy View Post
    How could they lie to you? They have been communicating with the citizens of OKC. I do not think they would go out of their way to lie to someone in florida.
    How do you know where I pay taxes? Anyhow, if you like being lied to more power to you.

How do you know where I pay taxes? Anyhow, if you like being lied to more power to you.

Wow. Are you sneaking back to OKC on a consistent basis to pay sales taxes? I thought possibly you believe you are because of the frequent use of "we" to represent that you are here on the front lines with OKC citizens. Also, I, in no way feel I have been lied to in any form or fashion. Rarely does any plan work out as proposed in government projects and that holds true for federal, state and local governments. If you are not mature enough to know the difference then less power to you providing you had any power to start with. To your credit, at least you didn't say all of this was promised, yet.

Maybe the Chamber should release the Convention Center Study. To bad that wasn't demanded as part of approving a Convention Center in MAPS 3. MAPS 3 passed, the site has been selected, and inital work is being done - there is no point in keeping it a secret now. Besides, releasing it would only shut the detractors up - wouldn't it?

Anyhow - this horse has been beaten to death about 20 times already. So for the 21st time, I am happy to just wait for the cost estimates to come in.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Popsy View Post
    Also, I, in no way feel I have been lied to in any form or fashion. Rarely does any plan work out as proposed in government projects and that holds true for federal, state and local governments. If you are not mature enough to know the difference then less power to you providing you had any power to start with.
    Frankly, if government projects at all levels rarely work out as proposed, as you put forth, then that's very clearly a sign of deeper problems. That has absolutely nothing to do with "maturity about knowing the difference." It's about not finding lying, mischaracterizations, and deception acceptable.

Thread Information