Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Would OKC be a part of Opening ceremonies or would those be in LA , then athletes fly into OKC?
    This is SO awesome! FINALLY we figure out what Dallas and KC would be jealous of!!! :P

It's fun going back to when Pete first dropped the news on social media that the Olympics were a possibility and the read the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    It's fun going back to when Pete first dropped the news on social media that the Olympics were a possibility and the read the comments.
    I've said for a long time at least the whitewater stuff was a done deal, and knew they were pitching hard for both rowing and softball.

I don't post things like that without a very high degree of confidence and first-hand knowledge.

There were tons of people who said things like, "This is a lie; they don't know what they are talking about." Which is very different than having a hard time believing in the possibility. Tempting to go back and tag some of those people in the latest posts.

I wonder if the new bridges for I-35 will be completed by 2028 ?

Since rowing was not included didn't know if it was pushed back ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I wonder if the new bridges for I-35 will be completed by 2028 ?

Since rowing was not included didn't know if it was pushed back ?
    Don't think it is a super high priority without rowing.

I know investments at the slalom and softball sites are going to be top priority, but is there any chance of additional investment for "beautification" efforts anywhere in the city? If the impression of visitors from around the world is a top priority, I feel like that would have more meaningful impact than just the view of aerial shots.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I know investments at the slalom and softball sites are going to be top priority, but is there any chance of additional investment for "beautification" efforts anywhere in the city? If the impression of visitors from around the world is a top priority, I feel like that would have more meaningful impact than just the view of aerial shots.
    I'm sure there'll be a lot of talk and projects put in motion to get OKC ready for the world.

The next year will interesting. Things will have to be put in motion fast depending on how much infrastructure is projected to be needed outside the venues themselves.

I bet the opportunity is taken to make even more improvements at the softball complex (locker rooms, etc.) which will only make it a lead-pipe cinch the WCWS doesn't move for the next several decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I bet the opportunity is taken to make even more improvements at the softball complex (locker rooms, etc.) which will only make it a lead-pipe cinch the WCWS doesn't move for the next several decades.
    Agreed on this, 100%

Where are they doing rowing and already seeing online the Athletes don’t get the true Olympic experience by being in OKC SMH

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Where are they
    In a Long Beach marina on a shortened course; 1500m v. the traditional 2000m.

I know OKC pitched for rowing as well but hard to feel disappointed given what we are getting.

Where are they doing rowing and already seeing online the Athletes don’t get the true Olympic experience by being in OKC SMH
    Who cares?

Hopefully, there will be several direct flights to LA to try to connect the two cities the best they can. Sure there are Athletes who are going to be disappointed that the others are all in LA. That's kind of the reality of modern day Olympics though today. Its supposed to be a connected world.

Blog Entries

This IMO would be the best opportunity to get a World Class Aquarian built on the same 4 square blocks ($900 million Downtown Arena).

The potential tourist attraction the new arena and Aquarian complex would attract.

16. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

https://www.canoeicf.com/news/oklaho...om-competition

Oklahoma City will host the Canoe Slalom Olympic events at the Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028.
    Announced on Friday, the Canoe Slalom Center in Oklahoma City, OKC, will be the venue for the LA28 competitions, where six gold medals will be up for grabs.

The announcement was part of LA28’s first wave of venue confirmations for the Games, which included a number of venues that have moved in or out of the City of Los Angeles since the original bid was made in 2017.

That will include Canoe Slalom at a venue widely recognised as a premier venue for international canoe competitions. Oklahoma City has previously hosted the ICF Canoe Sprint Super Cup in 2021 and 2022 and its selection for the 2028 Olympic Games underscores the Canoe Slalom Center’s outstanding facilities and organisational capabilities.

The venue is equally tuned in to the Olympic Agenda 2020+5, which emphasises sustainability, legacy and the use of, where possible, existing high-quality venues.

LA28 Olympics Rendering of the Whitewater Center for Canoe Slalom and Kayak Cross in Oklahoma City

ICF President Thomas Konietzko expressed his enthusiasm for the venue, saying:

"I’m happy that our sport can help make Oklahoma a major Olympic city," Mr Konietzko added. “The Canoe Slalom Center in Oklahoma City is undoubtedly a top-tier host for ICF competitions and now it will be the host for an Olympic event. ICF will work closely with the city and all stakeholders to guarantee the most successful delivery of the canoe slalom events in the Olympic Games 2028, highlighting our commitment and further promoting the development of our sport."

Friday’s announcement marks a significant milestone in the preparation for the LA2028 Olympic Games, which aims to ensure an unforgettable experience for all participants and spectators, bringing unprecedented international exposure to Oklahoma City under the Olympic spotlight.

The proposed venue change has been assessed in consultation with the International Canoe Federation and will be finalised with the approval of the IOC Executive Board and the City of Los Angeles in the coming months.

Blog Entries

Amazing . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Amazing . . .
    I can't love this any more than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Amazing . . .

Honestly it's the first time I've ever had any interest in the sport. I'll watch it just because it's here! Very cool.

I will admit I don't know the first thing about canoe slalom and am a casual watcher of softball, but this is such big news that I am beyond excited! Little ole OKC (we all know we aren't little but ya know other might think so is going to host Olympic events when many much bigger cities will not be. Incredible.

You simply cannot buy that kind of publicity and couple that with the report of OKC being a Top 10 place for new grads, the future is so bright around here. So glad we invested in ourselves and are still getting dividends from those investments.

Looking forward to all the development that will happen because of this news as well as everything else we already know is happening development wise. These have to be some of the best years in OKC's history, no?

22. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

https://www.wbsc.org/en/news/softbal...ll-competition

Softball Park in Oklahoma City to host Los Angeles 2028 Olympic Games softball competition
    With a capacity of 13,000 spectators, Softball Park in Oklahoma City hosted the U-18 Women's Softball World Cup 2015 and later this year will stage the WBSC Men's Softball World Cup Group C.

The Los Angeles 2028 Olympic Games confirmed today Softball Park in Oklahoma City, OK as the competition venue for the LA28 softball competition, an iconic stadium for softball's sixth appearance at the Olympic Games.

"We're thrilled with the announcement of Softball Park in Oklahoma as the venue for LA28, it's the perfect stage for the best softball athletes in the world to realise their Olympic dream," said WBSC President Riccardo Fraccari. "The cutting edge stadium, arguably one of the best softball stadiums in the world, will give us and LA28 the opportunity to spread the passion for Olympic softball in the US and around the world, while using an existing facility for the Games, in alignment with the IOC’s Olympic Agenda 2020+5 recommendations, which emphasises sustainability by encouraging the use of existing stadiums beyond the region of the host city."

With a capacity of 13,000 spectators, the stadium hosted the U-18 Women's Softball World Cup 2015 and later this year will stage the WBSC Men's Softball World Cup Group C. It's also the house of the NCAA Women's Softball World Series, which annually draws over 190,000 people from outside Oklahoma to enjoy softball.

Located in the Adventure District in Oklahoma City, OK, since 1987, the venue recently received a $27.5 million facelift with an added upper deck that increased capacity by 4,000 seats, a three-story press box as well as upgraded ticket windows and complex entrances.

In 2028, USA will become the first nation to host an Olympic softball competition twice, after the sport's historic debut in the Olympics in Atlanta 1996. This will be softball's sixth appearance in the Olympic Games programme, having also featured at Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, Beijing 2008 and Tokyo 2020, where softball opened the Olympic Games sports programme with an historic game between Japan and Australia in Fukushima.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58f32866-78c5-14e6-ef08-458cec29bd02.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	18934  

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The Los Angeles 2028 Olympic Games confirmed today Softball Park in Oklahoma City, OK
    this is always so weird to see .. during Olympic announcements .. solid name "softball park in Oklahoma City"

Will Rogers World Airport needs to expand its non stop from OKC to LA during the 2028 summer olympics and have to used bigger aircrafts instead of the small 76 passages aircraft.

I know we talked about implications for hotels and other developments, but I wonder if since it is so close to the Softball stadium if the zoo would fast track some improvements and get more done in four years instead of spacing it out over ten.

Thread Information