Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: REHCO / Former Downtown Ford site

Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    Same reason as a bunch of humongous skyscrapers that would separate NYC Central Park into two parts, in this case, Myriad would look much smaller because it’d be boxed out. Very sad, especially if it’d boxed out by empty towers.
    It's only bad if you're looking at these parks from a drone or the highway. On the ground, where people live, it would likely be great. If it's a good development, it would probably enhance the area, increase vibrancy (making the parks feel safer), and allow for people to do more things. I think a big mixed use project with creative access between the parks is the way to go.

I don't think there will be a threat of much substantial being built here in the near future. When the market has turned around, a building like what WPX built in Tulsa would be good. Nice looking small tower with a huge portal and retail on the bottom.

3. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    It's only bad if you're looking at these parks from a drone or the highway. On the ground, where people live, it would likely be great. If it's a good development, it would probably enhance the area, increase vibrancy (making the parks feel safer), and allow for people to do more things. I think a big mixed use project with creative access between the parks is the way to go.
    +1
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Same reason as a bunch of humongous skyscrapers that would separate NYC Central Park into two parts, in this case, Myriad would look much smaller because it’d be boxed out. Very sad, especially if it’d boxed out by empty towers.
    These parks are already permanently separated by a giant ugly expressway. Cant get any worse than that.

Good urban buildings don't block views, they create views.

Just imagine a massive building gets built the between the two parks in this photo, that would be sad!

It wouldn't be sad. It would be different.

Keep in mind this property is split by Harvey.

The city has already indicated they will not allow Harvey to be closed for future development, so an easy and direction connection will remain between the two parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Keep in mind this property is split by Harvey.

The city has already indicated they will not allow Harvey to be closed for future development, so an easy and direction connection will remain between the two parks.
    as someone that watched all of those planning commission meetings .. i am not sure this is the case ..

the city had the owners apply to close the streets when that was going to be a possible CC location and the planning commission had a fit and that action got delayed over and over and over until it was finially with drawn ..

but the point is that the City was on the side of closing the streets at the time ..

^

That was when they were going to own it and even then they insisted the "Harvey Spine" be left open to pedestrians. It's why the plans for the convention center on that site involved putting the largest room underground.

Since then, they have installed a traffic light on Harvey and the Boulevard, and what will be the Spark Cafe faces that intersection.

Given the fall-out from the owners of this property contesting the city's eminent domain plans, I don't think the city is going to be super excited about just giving them the property presently occupied by Harvey.

I am all in favor of Harvey being closed to vehicles and becoming a pedestrian promenade with outdoor dining and shops and stages and such to connect the parks and flanked by a high-rise on either side.

Blog Entries

Yes please

Something similar to Sundance Square in Fort Worth would be perfect for that space.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    I am all in favor of Harvey being closed to vehicles and becoming a pedestrian promenade with outdoor dining and shops and stages and such to connect the parks and flanked by a high-rise on either side.
    I would totally be on board for that. Great idea!

Reminder that the original plan for the convention center and hotel on this site was to preserve the "Harvey Spine", which in this case meant a pedestrian walkway that would connect the two parks:

14. Default Re: Downtown Ford Site

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    That's the best use for this property. Highrises with storefront retail on the land, promenade along Harvey connecting the parks!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

It's frustrating to see developers just sit on this lot. I was watching the Thunder game and the broadcast showed aerial shots of the Peake and really made the area look a lot more desolate and dead. The taxpayers have dramatically increased the value of the Ford lot through public investments on every side. How much more money will the owners really make by sitting on it longer? And, the owners haven't done hardly anything to make the lot more attractive in the interim. You'd hope the owners would have even just a little civic pride to either make a small investment to spruce up the lot or move forward with a development plan. It seems like that's a fair tradeoff for the profits the city will make them.

If dreams came true, I’d love to see an international competition held for the site!
    Here are some designs I think would work.
    Valley by MVRDV
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B3FEF8A7-B000-4BDB-9E97-2956D0477345.jpeg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	16808 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	312A4F50-7941-4FAE-BA06-7D9BDC254E43.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	912.4 KB 
ID:	16809
    1000 Trees by Heatherwick

Name:	2C882752-ED98-49A3-B815-2CB6D0BCCD7A.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	16810 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6EFEB678-16B9-4BE6-87C0-4B11B3C7BD5C.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	16811
    King Toronto by BIG

Name:	69DDF75D-719E-43E3-B715-A0B8AA36C92A.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	603.8 KB 
ID:	16812 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6D845123-1428-4981-86BB-5379B4331F88.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	462.9 KB 
ID:	16813

Default Re: REHCO Land

One big dis-incentive for the owners of this property to be in a rush to develop it: this coming season the city will pay them $310,000 for Thunder preferred parking.

That's for just 43 games (41 regular, 2 pre-season). Playoff games are billed at $5,600 per.

Combine that with charging for parking for concerts and other events, and they make a ton of money for doing absolutely nothing, with no risk or investment.

They've been getting this pay from the city for the last 9 years and I'm sure it will continue well into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    One big dis-incentive for the owners of this property to be in a rush to develop it: this coming season the city will pay them $310,000 for Thunder preferred parking.

That's for just 43 games (41 regular, 2 pre-season). Playoff games are billed at $5,600 per.

Combine that with charging for parking for concerts and other events, and they make a ton of money for doing absolutely nothing, with no risk or investment.

They've been getting this pay from the city for the last 9 years and I'm sure it will continue well into the future.
    I wish they'd do something to activate it. can you imagine Bleu Garten or The Yard on this spot after a Thunder game? Especially with Scissortail, Thunder Alley, and Omni all happening, I truly believe there is higher, better, and more profitable temporary uses than parking.

Yeah, it stopped being a car dealership a long time ago.

If this is going to continue to be used for parking, why not make a parking garage with ground floor retail?

I mean makes sense, and it gives us something...

They could actually make a mixed used a development with housing, retail, and a parking garage. And they can still sell so many parking spaces to the city for Thunder games, etc.

^^^ All of that would cost them money to implement, and as Pete said, if they can make tons of money by keeping the status quo/surface lots and doing nothing, none of the above will happen.

Yes, paid parking is a pandemic in basically every urban core. This is why city's need to have standards to which the parking is to be kept, or limits on how long it can be parking etc.

Look at all the random lots in Bricktown and Midtown that were essentially worthless even as little as 10 years ago. Now they pull regular daily parking revenue plus event parking and now weekend up-tick parking. It is almost all profit with barebone overhead. You have what, property taxes, maybe some electric and plumbing depending on if there is a structure. Then you have maybe some parking attendant or two that you need to pay maybe $200 for an event day?

Cities enable this with no restrictions or standards. And apparently for this particular lot, with the info Pete gave. The city is actually not only enabling, but also incentivizing no development on this block.

Bare minimum would be the city requiring the lots to not look like trash as they do now, but even that is a faint hope.

Blog Entries

Why not a minimum standard as to surface conditions, landscaping, lighting, cleanliness, etc. ?

Thread Information