Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Those people can deal with it for a couple weeks. lol
    And of course, the softball thing will see crowds very much like we have in OKC every single year for the WCWS.

The Whitewater facility will only be able to hold about the same capacity of a Thunder game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe they are looking at 10-12K.

Remember that RFP I posted about new plans for the Whitewater facility? That's what it was about and AHMM won the planning rights which have already started.
    Could you post a link to the RFP for this?

Have to think between the improvements that will most certainly come at both Softball and Canoe sites, Thunder Arena, Soccer stadium, the 3 large towers on Uhaul site, at least 2 more hotels, all of the Okana site, and so much more these all equate to more than 2 billion in investment in OKC mostly downtown area in just 4 years. That is incredible.

Definitely goes to show how important it is to play to your strengths. The Canoe Slalom is actually more surprising than Softball if you're not on this forum and you zoom out a bit. But we created a world class facility where there wasn't a lot of competition. Softball we've been leaning into for decades and now it's paying off in a huge way.

I would really love to see the Softball hall of fame get however much money to build a compelling "Softball around the world" wing to their current facility that creates a cool experience for visitors from around the globe.

The 'build it and they will come approach' of tax-supported facilities continues to pay dividends; and it was the only reason we got a shot at an NBA team.
    Every investment we have made in MAPS has paid off. Every one. Not a stinker in the bunch. What a trip it is and a contrast to see so many people in Norman getting all angry about the proposed arena and entertainment district, which doesn't even have a sales tax component.

These investments in ourselves have paid off by orders of magnitude. Interested to see what the "human needs" components of MAPS 4 do to change our landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Have to think between the improvements that will most certainly come at both Softball and Canoe sites, Thunder Arena, Soccer stadium, the 3 large towers on Uhaul site, at least 2 more hotels, all of the Okana site, and so much more these all equate to more than 2 billion in investment in OKC mostly downtown area in just 4 years. That is incredible.
    I should really try and make a rough tally of downtown investment since the first MAPS.

Just for perspective, before MAPS got the ball rolling, we only had ONE hotel downtown. One. And I just updated the Downtown Hotel Summary to show we now have TWENTY SEVEN with 8 more formally announced and certain more to come -- especially now.

Similar increases have happened in office, restaurants, infrastructure, entertainment and transportation, but public and private.

I hope they take the bs unearned OSU logo off the whitewater facility and put up the Olympic rings.

Would OKC be a part of Opening ceremonies or would those be in LA , then athletes fly into OKC?
    This is SO awesome! FINALLY we figure out what Dallas and KC would be jealous of!!! :P

Could this fast track the second phase of Okana (aquarium…)?

The newly revised goal is to have it ready by the summer of 2028, and I said at the time I didn't think that timing was coincidental.

It will at least look pretty in all the coverage shots.
    Have our own mini opening ceremony in it.

Another thought: maybe this will provide the spark needed for the REHCO lots to be developed; all that primo property that sits directly between the two downtown parks.

Have our own mini opening ceremony in it.
    I am very sure we'll have mini Olympic Villages at both venues; lots of tents, activities, merchandise, food and drink.

Even if you don't go to the events themselves, it will be great fun just to go hang out.

We all know the City and the people here are going to go crazy for this, just like we do anything else halfway cool.

It's fun going back to when Pete first dropped the news on social media that the Olympics were a possibility and the read the comments.

I should really try and make a rough tally of downtown investment since the first MAPS.

Just for perspective, before MAPS got the ball rolling, we only had ONE hotel downtown. One. And I just updated the Downtown Hotel Summary to show we now have TWENTY SEVEN with 8 more formally announced and certain more to come -- especially now.

Similar increases have happened in office, restaurants, infrastructure, entertainment and transportation, but public and private.
    That would be great to see, you could also break it up into sections of Maps 1, Maps 3, Maps 4 and Olympics just to track the growth and events that have lead to each.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    It's fun going back to when Pete first dropped the news on social media that the Olympics were a possibility and the read the comments.
    I've said for a long time at least the whitewater stuff was a done deal, and knew they were pitching hard for both rowing and softball.

I don't post things like that without a very high degree of confidence and first-hand knowledge.

There were tons of people who said things like, "This is a lie; they don't know what they are talking about." Which is very different than having a hard time believing in the possibility. Tempting to go back and tag some of those people in the latest posts.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    I hope they take the bs unearned OSU logo off the whitewater facility and put up the Olympic rings.
    I don't believe it would be allowed during the olympics in any event ... just like all of the devon and og&e logos will be covered up at the softball stadium

17. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    Hopefully OKC prepares accordingly. They are normally reactive vs proactive...
    Do you understand that officials with the City of Oklahoma City have already been working on this for more than two years..?

I wonder if the new bridges for I-35 will be completed by 2028 ?

Since rowing was not included didn't know if it was pushed back ?

I wonder if the new bridges for I-35 will be completed by 2028 ?

Since rowing was not included didn't know if it was pushed back ?
    Don't think it is a super high priority without rowing.

I know investments at the slalom and softball sites are going to be top priority, but is there any chance of additional investment for "beautification" efforts anywhere in the city? If the impression of visitors from around the world is a top priority, I feel like that would have more meaningful impact than just the view of aerial shots.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    I don't believe it would be allowed during the olympics in any event ... just like all of the devon and og&e logos will be covered up at the softball stadium
    Yeah, Its going to be the official LA Olympics 2028 banner posted everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I know investments at the slalom and softball sites are going to be top priority, but is there any chance of additional investment for "beautification" efforts anywhere in the city? If the impression of visitors from around the world is a top priority, I feel like that would have more meaningful impact than just the view of aerial shots.
    I'm sure there'll be a lot of talk and projects put in motion to get OKC ready for the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Do you understand that officials with the City of Oklahoma City have already been working on this for more than two years..?
    per David Holt's statement 6 years in the making

The next year will interesting. Things will have to be put in motion fast depending on how much infrastructure is projected to be needed outside the venues themselves.

25. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    per David Holt's statement 6 years in the making
    That's accurate. About two years ago is when it started to get much more real. There has been a tremendous amount of work done on this project is my main point. OKC wasn't magically named as a host city, with officials now scrambling around like chickens with their heads cut off. Writing the City off as "reactive vs proactive" is incredibly insulting.

Thread Information