Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 98 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222368 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

The water is treated at a plant on the north side of the lake and they do a very good job as OKC water has consistently ranked in the top ten nation wide for may years.

The City does not remove trash from the lake to the best of my knowledge. They do empty the trash barrels though. When I questioned Parks officials about litter pick-up at the lake I was told that it couldn'e be done because of the wind in Oklahoma which will just blow in more trash!

My family and friends have spent countless hours at the lake picking up debris left by fishermen, water bottles and lids left by trail users, fast food trash from picnickers, and couches, tires, fence parts, old street signs, innumerable bottles and cans and certain things I shudder to mention. During the low water we thought it would be a good idea to get out there pick up the newly exposed trash but it all it did was give us feelings of futility.

We are currently planning our next lake clean-up for March. I'm looking at dates now to try and not interfere with other recreational events or Easter weekend. Volunteers usually come from the surrounding neighborhoods, from running and triathlete organizations that use the lake, other recreational lake users and boaters. This year we are trying to engage fishermen to help and we will be putting up posters at the area sporting goods stores.

You are more than welcome to join us. We will provide trash bags and rubber gloves and the City will pick up our bags of trash from the lake. Please watch the website www.lakehefner.org for the date and time.

Default Re: Lake Hefner at record low water levels, when will city buy Canton water?

Sorry, gotta go find a copy of Internet for Dummies.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Great, what are they going to fill the lake with, flood water every 4 or 5 years? What happens in the other non-flood years?
    Oh please. I've just proved your silly fearmongering to be completely off base and non-factual. You said we had no long term plan. In fact, I've provided you links to the long term plan. OKC is set for the long-term with the expansion of local reservoirs and the development of resources in SE Oklahoma which are nowhere near being threatened. One of our resources being drained in the event of an exemplary drought is no cause for serious concern, except maybe that we ought to be developing some of these resources more quickly.

Do a little research. The OWRB has had a drought management plan since 1997.

http://www.owrb.ok.gov/supply/drough...ought_plan.pdf

And in fact, of the 38 most recently identified potential sites for new reservoirs all are within 38 miles of OKC. The OWRB has stated that we have enough water currently to meet anticipated growth for the next 50 years without any new reservoir construction. It goes without saying that your little chicken little act falls somewhere between silly and insane.

http://newsok.com/study-identifies-3...rticle/3574027

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Oh please. I've just proved your silly fearmongering to be completely off base and non-factual. You said we had no long term plan. In fact, I've provided you links to the long term plan. OKC is set for the long-term with the expansion of local reservoirs and the development of resources in SE Oklahoma which are nowhere near being threatened. One of our resources being drained in the event of an exemplary drought is no cause for serious concern, except maybe that we ought to be developing some of these resources more quickly.

Do a little research. The OWRB has had a drought management plan since 1997.

http://www.owrb.ok.gov/supply/drough...ought_plan.pdf

And in fact, of the 38 most recently identified potential sites for new reservoirs all are within 38 miles of OKC. The OWRB has stated that we have enough water currently to meet anticipated growth for the next 50 years without any new reservoir construction. It goes without saying that your little chicken little act falls somewhere between silly and insane.

Study identifies 38 most viable sites for new Oklahoma reservoirs | News OK
    Water is not an infinite resource. It is more limited than you think. Not disagreeing you nor trying to be argumentative. Just keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Water is not an infinite resource. It is more limited than you think. Not disagreeing you nor trying to be argumentative. Just keep that in mind.
    I'm pinning my hopes on the premise that the OWRB knows what it's talking about when it says OKC is fine for the next 50 years without any new construction rather than a bunch of internet chicken littles who have read a few articles on the internet and now think they're experts on the subject. Especially, considering that in doing so, they had to simply disregard everything the OWRB, which is the only authority of any value on the subject outside of maybe the Army Corps of Engineers has to say.

In other words, RM et al are basically water "truthers."

Kevin, I don't think the OWRB took into account you keeping your lawn the greenest on the block. They may have to retract their statement to 47 years lol

I'm pinning my hopes on the premise that the OWRB knows what it's talking about when it says OKC is fine for the next 50 years without any new construction rather than a bunch of internet chicken littles who have read a few articles on the internet and now think they're experts on the subject. Especially, considering that in doing so, they had to simply disregard everything the OWRB, which is the only authority of any value on the subject outside of maybe the Army Corps of Engineers has to say.

I hope you're right. I just think that not all "experts" on the matter know what the hell they're talking about. Witness the I. M. Pei plan. I also hope you're right when I can go to ALL of the local lakes and see the fact of critically low water levels. I'll just comfort myself in knowing that the OWRB is so much better than all the other government entities and I can trust them implicitly.

I agree. I just think that our problems are more short term, other than that, I think you're right on track with that statement.

Oh please. I've just proved your silly fearmongering to be completely off base and non-factual. You said we had no long term plan. In fact, I've provided you links to the long term plan.
    I said what? You have me confused with someone else, mkjeeves perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I said what? You have me confused with someone else, mkjeeves perhaps.
    He seems to. But I didn't say we didn't have a long term water or drought plan. Nor did I say the sky is falling. I said we didn't have a comprehensive vision and plan for OKC et al. At least not a current one that I'm aware of. If we do, what is it and who developed it?

On the specific issue of water and drought, that does reoccur on a regular basis and is upon us again, we have a planning, quality of life and beautification ordinance in place that is at odds with water conservation measures proposed by a different agency. Why? Lack of planning and vision, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    He seems to. But I didn't say we didn't have a long term water or drought plan. I said we didn't have a comprehensive vision and plan for OKC et al. At least not a current one that I'm aware of. If we do, what is it and who developed it?
    I know exactly what you meant, but I am a bit of a visionary. I am less worried about the bumps in the road and more worried about where the road goes.

He seems to. But I didn't say we didn't have a long term water or drought plan. Nor did I say the sky is falling. I said we didn't have a comprehensive vision and plan for OKC et al. At least not a current one that I'm aware of. If we do, what is it and who developed it?
    We do have a comprehensive plan, but such plans have to be adjusted as realities change. When the reality is that we don't have to build another reservoir for 50 years and are supplied well enough to handle droughts like this one, things are fine. What do you want in a "comprehensive" plan? A plan that in 2035, we'll expand Stanley Draper whether we need to or not? We have the OKC Water Utilities Trust. They're doing their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    I hope you're right. I just think that not all "experts" on the matter know what the hell they're talking about. Witness the I. M. Pei plan. I also hope you're right when I can go to ALL of the local lakes and see the fact of critically low water levels. I'll just comfort myself in knowing that the OWRB is so much better than all the other government entities and I can trust them implicitly.
    "Critically low"?

Maybe for recreational use, but that's not what these lakes are for and there's plenty left.

"Critically low"?

Maybe for recreational use, but that's not what these lakes are for and there's plenty left.
    So much left that our U.S. Senators recently had a bill passed that allowed Norman to transfer water in from other lakes when it got so low it couldn't provide water to Norman?

Mid, I do not believe you understand what I said since you again talked about water plans, but it doesn't matter to me. Here is the current comprehensive plan.

http://www.okc.gov/planning/okc_plan...n2000-2020.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    So much left that our U.S. Senators recently had a bill passed that allowed Norman to transfer water in from other lakes when it got so low it couldn't provide water to Norman?
    And problem solved. They are now transferring water from the Atoka Pipeline. All is well.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Any new photos of Canton or Hefner as the waters fluctuate?
    I borrowed a couple shot on Tues. One more week.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5ea33e49.jpg
    http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/...pse48849cc.jpg
    http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2f109a8e.jpg

I thought everyone would enjoy this video.

Water Conservation Issues and Oklahma Drought Forecast - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by law View Post
    I thought everyone would enjoy this video.

Water Conservation Issues and Oklahma Drought Forecast - YouTube
    Way to go with the video LAW... Marsha Slaughter and Company killed Canton Lake with their lack of foresight, now she has killed this thread with her video! I kid, I kid....OK, no I don't...I''m serious!

Listening to her speak and tell lies, or half truths or whatever you want to call it, makes me want to punch my computer screen. I don't know what planet she is or has been living on, but this drought is considerably more serious than she is making it out. Her delusional thought of Canton Lake filling up in two years has me shaking my head at how she keeps her job!

The Climatologist seemed to be the only one in the room with the real grasp of how serious the situation is. Yes, it could rain this spring and it could rain a bunch, but when all signs and professional are implying they don't think it will, shouldn't you at least address that Ms. Slaughter???

I think we have redefined "truthers"!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkAFuqua View Post
    Way to go with the video LAW... Marsha Slaughter and Company killed Canton Lake with their lack of foresight, now she has killed this thread with her video! I kid, I kid....OK, no I don't...I''m serious!

Listening to her speak and tell lies, or half truths or whatever you want to call it, makes me want to punch my computer screen. I don't know what planet she is or has been living on, but this drought is considerably more serious than she is making it out. Her delusional thought of Canton Lake filling up in two years has me shaking my head at how she keeps her job!

The Climatologist seemed to be the only one in the room with the real grasp of how serious the situation is. Yes, it could rain this spring and it could rain a bunch, but when all signs and professional are implying they don't think it will, shouldn't you at least address that Ms. Slaughter???
    Who's saying this?

I went to Lake Hefner after work this evening to walk along 'The River' in my dress shoes, lol.

Turning back to look at the flow.

Halfway there.

Closing in on the delta.

As far as I got without trashing my shoes.

Heading back to the car.

Who wants to surf??

Good video. Interesting and informative on a couple of fronts. It's notable that we already rank far below the national averages in discretionary outdoor water use and are average with indoor water use. 30% here against 50-55% as an average elsewhere for outdoor water.

Good video. Interesting and informative on a couple of fronts. It's notable that we already rank far below the national averages in discretionary outdoor water use and are average with indoor water use. 30% here against 50-55% as an average elsewhere for outdoor water.
    Where did you get the 30% number?

From Debbie Ragan with the OKC Water Dept, "According to the OKC Water Department, about 60 percent of municipal water is used for outdoor watering."

Here's the link OKC encouraging residents to let grass go | KFOR.com ? Oklahoma City News & Weather from KFOR Television, Oklahoma's News Channel 4

I should add, before this latest water release.

Thread Information