Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Odot

Default Re: Odot

Here are a couple news pieces from The Sun:

I-35, Waterloo Road dangerous intersection - The Edmond Sun: Local News

This one explains the possibility that this might get moved up which I was hopeful for until I heard the state might divert resources away from ODOT. :/

Big crowd attends Waterloo town hall - The Edmond Sun: Lifestyles

I guess the I-35/Waterloo Rd. intersection needs the same added lane treatment that the I-35/51 intersection got several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Here are a couple news pieces from The Sun:

I-35, Waterloo Road dangerous intersection - The Edmond Sun: Local News

This one explains the possibility that this might get moved up which I was hopeful for until I heard the state might divert resources away from ODOT. :/

Big crowd attends Waterloo town hall - The Edmond Sun: Lifestyles
    Still this is a bit of overkill, going from a two lane road with stop signs to a style for higher than average throughput, skipping multiple other options between.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Still this is a bit of overkill, going from a two lane road with stop signs to a style for higher than average throughput, skipping multiple other options between.
    I don't think it's overkill, rather actually good planning to handle traffic now and for some years on into the future -- the lack of future planning being something that is a common complaint about ODOT from members here. ODOT seems to be damned if they do and damned if they don't.

5. Default Re: Odot

According to the article, one of the options being discussed is a diverging diamond interchange, which is still fairly new to the US and would be the first one in Oklahoma.

The way that a DDI works is that there is one traffic signal at each end of the interchange. At this signal the lanes switch places; that is, between the signals, the cars drive on the left. This allows them to make left turns to and from the interchange without crossing oncoming traffic. At the same time, slip ramps allow right-turning traffic to bypass the lights entirely.

The nice thing about the DDI concept is that it allows for greater throughput at a cheaper cost, since it can fit under the existing bridge. Of course, the main disadvantage is driver unfamiliarity and possible confusion at having to drive on the left. If signed and marked properly the risk of accidents can be minimized, but I'm sure we're all aware that providing proper signage and markings is a challenge for ODOT.

MoDOT has had great success with their DDI in Springfield, MO, the first in the US, and have rolled the interchange design out to Joplin and Kansas City, and KDOT has experimented with the design as well. It's a good thing to see ODOT considering more modern interchange designs, in my opinion. It seemed like interchange design in Oklahoma was running a great deal behind the rest of the field for a while, so it's good that we're slowly starting to catch up.

^^^ Yes, that is what they are likely going to go with.

Interesting read. Seems to me like a bunch of criticism with nothing else added. No plans or solutions just a bunch of bitching though this guy does bring up several valid points.

http://www.edmondsun.com/news/lewis-...4c2255a79.html

It's a good article, and it's very true. ODOT has been preaching this motor use tax issue for years. The problem started years and years ago when roads were built and paved and all the motor-use taxes were just piling up so to speak. Legislators saw this big cash cow and slowly started to syphon the money away for different uses. Well that was all fine and dandy back then, but now we're at a point where we need the funds back to reinvest in the infrastructure. But at this point how do you take the allocations away from where they've been put -- like education for instance. It's like the federal government and Social Security. For years and years the coffers of Social Security grew exponentially larger and the government saw that cash cow and started taking from the pot and replacing it with IOUs. Now that we're at the point of insolvency because the money is running out, how do you get the money reappropriated without hurting others or making others mad? It's a sucky deal.

They are adding signals to Waterloo Rd/I-35 and have chosen the diverging diamond interchange for the selected interchange although it won't start construction until 2021 which is laughable.

Signals to alleviate traffic woes until construction at I-35 and Waterloo Rd.

Red, yellow and green are about to become the three favorite colors of those who regularly travel Waterloo Rd. to access I-35.

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation plans to install temporary traffic signals on Waterloo Rd. at the I-35 interchange just north of Edmond. This safety measure is expected to improve traffic flow at the I-35 interchange, easing the long lines and delay that exists today during rush hour. The traffic signals will become permanent in 2021 when reconstruction begins, bringing a new type of interchange design to Oklahoma.

The two temporary traffic signals have been added to the interchange design contract with Garver Engineering and installation is scheduled for this winter. The department will pay an estimated $250,000 in state funding for these interim improvements, which will remain in place until the completion of the interchange construction project, which is scheduled to begin in 2021. These improvements were made possible due to the partnership with Oklahoma and Logan counties, which have committed to share in the maintenance costs for the signal lights.

“Residents’ concerns were heard loud and clear during our January public meeting. Through the support of area county commissioners, traffic woes can be addressed much sooner,” said Division 4 Engineer Brian Taylor. “The department believes these temporary measures will bring much-needed relief and added safety to users of this interchange.”

The interim project design also calls for extending the right turn lane from eastbound Waterloo Rd. to southbound I-35 and adding new pavement striping on the southbound I-35 on-ramp from Waterloo Rd. to help move traffic faster.

This area continues to see tremendous business and residential growth. The 2014 average traffic count shows 11,500 vehicles traversing this section of Waterloo Rd. daily, but by 2040 traffic is estimated to triple to more than 33,000 vehicles a day.

- http://ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroo...ticle_id=21759

Also, I came across this article and it said they are going to consider taking out bonds for transportation projects, am I reading that right? So this will allow ODOT to take out loans to fund projects faster?

A budget for the upcoming fiscal year hinges on numerous revenue-raising bills being considered in both chambers. Among the ideas for helping close a $1.3 billion hole in next year's budget are a $1.50-per-pack tax on cigarettes, a broadening of the sales tax, eliminating tax subsidies and the sale of bonds to fund transportation projects.

http://www.koco.com/news/Oklahoma-Se...sible/39610758

Holy hell yes please! Having projects fully funded up front is all well and good, and sound fiscal policy, but ODOT needs to have the option to issue bonds to get major infrastructure projects done much more quickly than they would otherwise. With limits, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Holy hell yes please! Having projects fully funded up front is all well and good, and sound fiscal policy, but ODOT needs to have the option to issue bonds to get major infrastructure projects done much more quickly than they would otherwise. With limits, of course.
    Back in the early 2000s ODOT attempted to go the bond route but ended up being rejected. They were called GARVEE Bonds. Legislators even took ODOT to court over the use of the bonds. I thought ODOT won, however I'm not sure why they were never issued.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Back in the early 2000s ODOT attempted to go the bond route but ended up being rejected. They were called GARVEE Bonds. Legislators even took ODOT to court over the use of the bonds. I thought ODOT won, however I'm not sure why they were never issued.
    GARVEE bonds were issued up to the maximum allowed. Yes, ODOT was taken to court, and yes ODOT won. The OK Constitution clearly states the State cannot go into debt, but the court decided this wasn't debt.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    GARVEE bonds were issued up to the maximum allowed. Yes, ODOT was taken to court, and yes ODOT won. The OK Constitution clearly states the State cannot go into debt, but the court decided this wasn't debt.

Cool. I couldn't recall what, if anything, had ever happened with that. All I remembered was it was a heated subject at the capitol.

This is pretty cool

Press Releases
    Thursday, May 26, 2016

ODOT sweetens Monarch Highway with new garden

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation is inviting Monarch butterflies and other pollinators to join travelers at the Oklahoma City Welcome Center to stretch their wings, grab a cup of nectar and check out the new garden on their way up the newly established national Monarch Highway.

The department planted the pollinator garden and updated its mowing practices in anticipation of the memorandum of agreement that was signed in partnership with six other states. This collaboration with the Federal Highway Administration and the Missouri, Texas, Iowa, Kansas and Minnesota DOTs designates Interstate 35 as the Monarch Highway.

“We are excited to be a part of this important effort to preserve habitats for pollinators that are vital to our food sources,” Brad Mirth, ODOT state maintenance engineer, said. “Our goal is to protect more of their natural habitat by allowing milkweed and native flowers to grow in the right-of-way where possible and use the garden as an educational tool to help the public recognize and protect this important vegetation.”

Beginning this spring ODOT will refrain from mowing the highway rights-of-way statewide, except where necessary, until July when the flowers will be primed for seed dispersal. The department will still mow in urban areas and safety zones, which includes medians and rights-of-way up to 30 feet from the pavement’s edge. In addition to protecting milkweed and wildflowers that butterflies need, the department expects this to be a cost saving practice.

The garden, a registered Monarch Waystation, is a 20 foot by 40 foot plot containing five types of milkweed, Black-eyed Susans, purple coneflower and other types of wildflowers as well as native grasses little bluestem and switchgrass. Visitors can view the garden at the Oklahoma City Welcome Center on I-35 and 122nd St. in Oklahoma City.

Monarch butterflies born in late summer or early fall migrate south to winter in Mexico. In the spring, the butterflies return to the southern U.S. and lay eggs. Successive generations of Monarchs continue moving north, which takes them along the I-35 corridor and finally into Canada. These Monarchs begin the cycle over again by completing a 2,000-mile trek back to Mexico.

- https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/ne...ticle_id=22039

Lots of new interactive maps: http://okdot.maps.arcgis.com/home/

I-40/I-40B interchange has some pretty cool proposals including a modern interchange round-a-bout, ddi, and a rotary oval interchange. All of which would currently be new to ODOT until the first DDI in the state is constructed at I-35 and Waterloo. I'm excited ODOT is getting more progressive on road interchanges. Now let's see them start putting HOV and 4+ stacks in OKC.

https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and.../20160524.html

I personally like the modern round-a-bout option.

I-40/I-40B interchange has some pretty cool proposals including a modern interchange round-a-bout, ddi, and a rotary oval interchange. All of which would currently be new to ODOT until the first DDI in the state is constructed at I-35 and Waterloo. I'm excited ODOT is getting more progressive on road interchanges. Now let's see them start putting HOV and 4+ stacks in OKC.

https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and.../20160524.html

I personally like the modern round-a-bout option.
    That oval design looks very interesting.

http://journalrecord.com/2016/06/02/...ridge-capitol/

From what I have heard, they will either build a bridge significantly lower than the current one or go below grade in some areas. Will be interesting to see the plans for the creek if they do go below grade.

I understand the reasoning, but my goodness would that construction be a pain, I drive over that bridge twice a day.

HangryHippo Guest

It would be nice if there were some way to realign that whole mess...

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I understand the reasoning, but my goodness would that construction be a pain, I drive over that bridge twice a day.
    Yeah, I am guessing would they have to close it entirely for awhile?

http://journalrecord.com/2016/06/02/...ridge-capitol/

From what I have heard, they will either build a bridge significantly lower than the current one or go below grade in some areas. Will be interesting to see the plans for the creek if they do go below grade.
    Looking down the road: Contract would allow study of removing Belle Isle bridge

By: Dale Denwalt The Journal Record June 2, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – State transportation officials will vote Monday on an engineering contract to study the removal of the Belle Isle bridge.

MacArthur Associated Consultants is being considered for a $1.9 million preliminary engineering design contract that would examine the structure and also plan for reconstruction of part of Interstate 44.

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation has recently finished rehabilitation work on the bridge, and more work is scheduled to begin this summer, ODOT spokeswoman Mills Gotcher said.

In April 2015, the bridge was narrowed to two lanes while workers rehabilitated the piers, some of which had disintegrating rebar and concrete.

The Belle Isle section of the highway sits over a large commercial development and intersects with major city roads like Classen Boulevard and Pennsylvania Avenue. The bridge also connects to the southeastern terminus of the Northwest Expressway.

The engineers will evaluate how the bridge could be lowered and otherwise improved.

“We’ll look at everything from the height, to how far we want to reconstruct it to its impact at different intersections,” Gotcher said. “There are a lot of interesting intersections along that area, so we’ll have to examine all of those.”

There will also be an environmental study ordered because of a former water park in the area.

When the engineering work is complete, the Belle Isle project will go on the department’s eight-year plan, a long-term list of projects.

“We just have to get this out of the way and put it in the rotation,” Gotcher said. “We’re looking kind of far out there.”

Maybe tunnel it through the area leaving the surface streets with their intersections. Perhaps making the I44 stretch there a main street with exit ramps coming from below up to there for Northwest Expressway, etc.

Thread Information