Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Tinker AFB

Default Re: Tinker AFB

Tinker is such a godsend for OKC and the state.

26,000 steady, well-paying jobs with benefits. And more to come.

In West OKC you have Hobby Lobby, Amazon and a ton of other distribution centers.

In addition to the huge amount of state employees, all of this is why OKC is way more economically diversified than in the past and the primary reasons our employment numbers are always strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

In West OKC you have Hobby Lobby, Amazon and a ton of other distribution centers.

In addition to the huge amount of state employees, all of this is why OKC is way more economically diversified than in the past and the primary reasons our employment numbers are always strong.
    All of this is spot-on, Pete! And another bonus, Tinker is ALWAYS hiring more people, like always. There are large career fairs for Tinker jobs frequently! Companies open up shop there all the time, without much fanfare, as well. Sure, you have the Boeing's and Northrop Grumann's that get publicity (deservedly so, especially Boeing, since they have many thousands of employees near and on Tinker), but there are plenty of companies on Tinker, or very near it, that have 100s and 1000s of employees (I live at 89th and Sooner, so I see it almost daily).

+1 and too many zeros

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    And a complete interchange rebuild was just announced by ODOT for Douglas and I-40. Douglas will probably just be its own gate, stifling traffic connections to MWC from I-240 that would normally take Douglas.
    As an occasional commuter of this route, Sooner Rd is the initial alternative, but not looking forward to going through more of the middle of MWC just to get out south.

Re: Tinker AFB
    With the closing of Douglas Blvd. they need to upgrade Post Rd. and add interchanges at I-40 and I-240

Tinker is up to 31,000 employees

Quote Originally Posted by MWC59 View Post
    With the closing of Douglas Blvd. they need to upgrade Post Rd. and add interchanges at I-40 and I-240
    I don’t think so.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Tinker is up to 31,000 employees
    26K is the number the Chamber used but I'm not sure how they are calculating that.

In any event, Tinker is a massive economic engine.

I wonder if this is expansion to prepare for servicing the new B-21 bomber

Blog Entries

Good point. All other bomber PDM is here so it only makes sense for B-21 PDM to be here a well. It'd be different if either B-1 or B-2 were immediately retiring but I'm certain there will be overlap so B-21 will need it's own facilities. That said, seems like B-21 will resemble B-2 greatly so perhaps it wouldn't be much to adapt B-2 facilities for B-21.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    I wonder if this is expansion to prepare for servicing the new B-21 bomber
    From 2018: https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...tealth-bomber/

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Good point. All other bomber PDM is here so it only makes sense for B-21 PDM to be here a well. It'd be different if either B-1 or B-2 were immediately retiring but I'm certain there will be overlap so B-21 will need it's own facilities. That said, seems like B-21 will resemble B-2 greatly so perhaps it wouldn't be much to adapt B-2 facilities for B-21.
    PDM for the B-2 is in Palmdale california ..

Blog Entries

Oops, SSM is here (like B-1, where I worked), so presumed PDM was here (like B-1).

Oops, SSM is here (like B-1, where I worked), so presumed PDM was here (like B-1).
    B-2 software dev ops are at Tinker and so sometimes they come here for a software test/upgrade ..

IIRC the entire B-21 Depot will be located at TAFB

^^^^^
    From the image in this article it looks that way:

https://www.airforcemag.com/article/...r-takes-shape/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    B-2 software dev ops are at Tinker and so sometimes they come here for a software test/upgrade ..

IIRC the entire B-21 Depot will be located at TAFB
    Yes I participated in joint initiatives in 1083 a few times

Yes I participated in joint initiatives in 1083 a few times
    a few jobs ago i used to go over that way quite a bit .. but now i am on the other side of base ..

18. Default Re: Tinker AFB

26K is the number the Chamber used but I'm not sure how they are calculating that.

In any event, Tinker is a massive economic engine.
    26K civilian.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

19. Default Re: Tinker AFB

Quote Originally Posted by MWC59 View Post
    AMEN, there are a LOT of us that use Douglas to get to MWC from the southside and this is going to suck for us. At least put ramps at Post and get it up to 4 lanes BEFORE you close Douglas. MWC already has post at 4 lanes from 29th (the MWC line), north). With the increased traffic Post will get, it's going to HAVE to happen OKC.

Sooner is already EXTREMELY busy and has a lot of stop lights too. So using it as the alternative isn't an option. And it would really suck to have to add 2 miles to everyone's trip to go east and then west to get around this new closure.

And the closure isn't even needed. There are still so many options that are available that would keep Douglas open. There's no shortage of land on base. It's just more land-grabbing because they know if they ask, they will get it because no one wants to give any inkling of push back so we keep Tinker here. We're getting bullied into this.

The base has wanted to close Douglas for years due to the transfer of aircraft between Boeing and the main depot. If they're adding more maintenance/contractor capability on the east side, it makes more sense (both practical and security) for the base to close the street to public access to allow that to happen.

Recent aerial that shows the work north of the old GM plant. My goodness, this operation is just a massive financial engine for the OKC area with much more planned.

22. Default Re: Tinker AFB

It's amazing to review an outline of just how much is done at this base. For example, losing the GM plant was a huge blow but now they build two different aircraft engines there.

The former GM plant and building 3001 are both around 2.6 million sqare feet under roof.

23. Default Re: Tinker AFB

Half of Tinker’s E-3 airborne surveillance jets would be cut under Air Force budget proposal.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...dget-proposal/
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post
    Half of Tinker’s E-3 airborne surveillance jets would be cut under Air Force budget proposal.

They'd replace them with E-7 Wedgetails, though obviously it's no guarantee that Tinker would be home to the new aircraft. This was an interesting part of that article:

Airmen at Tinker spoke to Air Force Times in July 2021 about low morale that has long plagued their AWACS units and is exacerbated by the stressors of an old, sometimes unpredictable aircraft. When asked what could be done to improve the culture there, multiple people said getting rid of the E-3 would be ideal.
    Seems like this is a move that needs to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post

doubt that survives Inhofe and the committee but either way wedgetail is coming to Oklahoma soon

Thread Information