Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 217 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222368118 ... LastLast

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center & Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the planning commissioners have nothing to do with the site selection .... the CC can go there right now ... the only issue would be .. if the the planning commission doesn't pass that item and then the city has to use ED to get the site they would have a future issue if they allowed private business to operate there

they would not have that issue if that came to an agreement .. to buy the site ...

also of note is that they don't really need the planning commission approval .. they could vote it down and then the city council could approve it any way ..
    from the story

The first public hint of a challenge to this process emerged last month when planning commissioners refused to approve an amendment to Urban Renewal's acquisition plan for the area that would allow for the purchase of the dealership site.

Read more: MAPS 3 convention center site is being questioned | NewsOK.com

2. Default Re: Convention Center & Hotel

The item was not posted online until after I called the city about it yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    from the story
    thank you...I have came to realize that most people on this site really don't know whats really going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The item was not posted online until after I called the city about it yesterday.
    Thanks for doing that. I did the same with the Downtown Design Review Committee a few months ago.

And even after posted, the CC agenda was completely empty of any real information (files to be added later). These things cause me to be concerned about how this group is going about it's business.

from the story
    did you read what i wrote .. all the approval of the "amendment to Urban Renewal's acquisition plan" does is allow the city to allow private sector business on property acquired by eminent domain

it has nothing to do with the acquisition of the property or the site selection for the CC it has to do with stopping a possible lawsuit if the property is EDed and then used for a hotel

All I know is the planning commission didn't approve the amendment and now Urban Renewal can't buy the land.

All I know is the planning commission didn't approve the amendment and now Urban Renewal can't buy the land.
    umm .. the city can still buy the land .. and has most likely already made an offer on the land ..

The article says that they can move forward with buying the land. I think it was a Jim Couch quote.

EDIT:

City Manager Jim Couch, meanwhile, responds that property acquisition is moving forward as planned, that there is no effort to reopen the convention center site consideration.

Maybe so, but yet, here we are.

Maybe so, but yet, here we are.
    Trust me, I want them to be stalled and select another site...but it's not my call...It appears it's not even the citizens' call at this point.

I'm not going to say this is a lie...

City Manager Jim Couch, meanwhile, responds that property acquisition is moving forward as planned, that there is no effort to reopen the convention center site consideration.
    ...but that can mean different things to different people. Maybe Jim Couch should publicly share the acquistion plan so we can all be aware of just how 'forward' things are progressing and if they are still going as 'planned'. As for 'no effort to reopen the convention center site consideration', I offer this:

In delaying consideration again last week, Planning Commissioner Bob Bright argued he was unaware of the deliberations that led to the site choice and was too unfamiliar with the process to give his approval. Another planning commissioner, John Yoeckel, asked that more time be given to allow for recently hired consultants to look at how the convention center site, future park site and a new streetcar system would all fit together to ensure the proper locations were chosen.

Read more: MAPS 3 convention center site is being questioned | NewsOK.com
    In order for a snowball to gain momentum you first need snow, and it is piled up high around this project.

on edit - let me also add:

Behind the scenes, several prominent players in the downtown business and development community have discussed whether the site chosen was indeed the best choice. They are revisiting the merits of the second-ranked site — one in southeast Bricktown on the site of the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark parking lot, the Bricktown Event Center and part of the Stewart Metal Fabricators site.

Read more: http://newsok.com/maps-3-convention-...#ixzz27VUu2ect

do you even understand what the planning commission vote was about??

it was so IF OCURA has to get the land via eminent domain the city can rent/lease part of the land to a private entity ..ie a hotel flower shop cafe ect ... that is the ONLY REASON for the planning commission vote ...

with out that vote .. the city can still buy the land ... and the city could even ED the land ... .

Well clearly we know it isn't moving forward as planned. If the planning commission doesn't approve it then that means no convention hotel attached, no park front or boulevard front retail, no restaurants, etc. That seems like a show-stopper to me.

It was listed in the MAPS 3 Board agenda (but not the CC subcommittee's) that they have selected Populous / GSB to perform the CC Conceptual Study.

Well clearly we know it isn't moving forward as planned. If the planning commission doesn't approve it then that means no convention hotel attached, no park front or boulevard front retail, no restaurants, etc. That seems like a show-stopper to me.
    good point...

no it means it will go to the city council with a negative recommendation from the Planning commission .. and the city council will then pass it ..

Oklahoma City convention center designer chosen, site will remain south of Myriad Gardens

The citizens committee tasked with guiding development of a new convention center is sticking with a site chosen south of the Myriad Gardens after hearing a proposal that the location be reconsidered.

Read more: Oklahoma City convention center designer chosen, site will remain south of Myriad Gardens | NewsOK.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Oklahoma City convention center designer chosen, site will remain south of Myriad Gardens

The citizens committee tasked with guiding development of a new convention center is sticking with a site chosen south of the Myriad Gardens after hearing a proposal that the location be reconsidered.

Read more: Oklahoma City convention center designer chosen, site will remain south of Myriad Gardens | NewsOK.com
    Still needs the City Council approval, will our City Council do the right thing and recommend a new site? Or we they let L.Nichols and Co. impose their will, and leave it south of the Myriad Gardens? They might as well call it the Devon Energy Convention Center.

19. Default Re: Convention Center & Hotel

I have told anyone who would listen the last year that this debate is far from settled. I know my ideal site on Tenth is a long shot, however, I bet the Bricktown site becomes the non-establishment favorite very,mvery quickly. Makes too much sense. Way too much.

HangryHippo Guest

What 10th St site are you talking about, Spartan?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Smoke and mirrors Pete - the Citizens Committe IS the MAPS III Convention Center Committee so big surprise they still want the Ford site - we already knew that. The problem is they still can't afford it. They can spin it however they want but the fact is they are reviewing the location.

The committee and city staffers did agree, however, to add into the Populous contract that the firm assess costs and feasibility with the dealership site as one of their first tasks.
    So what happens if Populous comes back and says it isn't feasable (which we all know it isn't)? I think certain members of the Committee are setting it up to give themselves an out without it looking like they are second guessing themselves.

Smoke and mirrors Pete - the Citizens Committe IS the MAPS III Convention Center Committee so big surprise they still want the Ford site - we already knew that. The problem is they still can't afford it. They can spin it however they want but the fact is they are reviewing the location.

So what happens if Populous comes back and says it isn't feasable (which we all know it isn't)? I think certain members of the Committee are setting it up to give themselves an out without it looking like they are second guessing themselves.
    the city will do a land swap and keep that as the site ..

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I have told anyone who would listen the last year that this debate is far from settled. I know my ideal site on Tenth is a long shot, however, I bet the Bricktown site becomes the non-establishment favorite very,mvery quickly. Makes too much sense. Way too much.
    the bricktown site does not make sense from a cost standpoint .. or a 30 story hotel stand point ..

if it gets moved (i don't think it will) it will go back to the mayors site

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Still needs the City Council approval, will our City Council do the right thing and recommend a new site? Or we they let L.Nichols and Co. impose their will, and leave it south of the Myriad Gardens? [special=They might as well call it the Devon Energy Convention Center][/special].
    I think there is a high degree of likelihood that is what it will be called one day. Someone commented to me not very long ago there has already been off the record discussions that Devon has let it be known they are prepared to pay for the naming rights one day. I do not put much weight into a rumor like that, but it makes logical sense in my mind that could happen. When the day comes to discuss naming rights, the City will obviously open it up and make it a competitive business deal, but I don't think it's not too farfetched to think there might have already been some discussions with Devon in that regard. If Devon was highly interested, I could see the City feeling they owe it to Devon because of P180 and all, and, I could see Devon very much wanting the naming rights since Ches has the arena. This is just a hypothetically question, but if this were the case, could the city have some ballpark idea as to how much naming rights would equate to, and, could some of those monies be used to help stretch the budget? I think it is safe to say that if it were to be named after Devon, Larry Nichols would likely not allow the facility to be reduced in scope or in quality.

A few recent CC naming right deals include Tulsa which just inked a deal with Cox, Delta just inked a deal for the Milwaukee CC, but only for 1 year, and a couple of months ago, Phoenix hired a consultant to help market the naming rights for their CC.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the city will do a land swap and keep that as the site ..
    Maybe - but they still have to find a way to keep from putting loading docks along MBG, the new boulevard, or the arena. They can't put them on the west side because that is the expansion side.

Thread Information