Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber coming to OKC

1. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

I've used Uber several times now. Used Lyft once when I rode with someone else who called Lyft on her app. Everything else even about the two companies, I'm not going with the one who is going to show up with a pink mustache on the front of their car. I also don't want to be greeted with the fist pump or the canned speech they give to their drivers to spew to every customer about 'community.'

Lyft has offered me about $60 in free rides. I've yet to use a single dollar.

There is nothing 'dark and draconian' about Uber - that is simply Uber Nonsense.

Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    There is nothing 'dark and draconian' about Uber - that is simply Uber Nonsense.
    This is Uber's playbook for sabotaging Lyft | The Verge

We've used Uber twice (back and forth to the Jeff Beck show at the Zoo), worked well, but not cool if they're doing this kind of stuff...

3. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    This is Uber's playbook for sabotaging Lyft | The Verge

We've used Uber twice (back and forth to the Jeff Beck show at the Zoo), worked well, but not cool if they're doing this kind of stuff...
    The only thing tangible in that article was 'possibly' an Uber memo - which to me read perfectly fine; try and assesses the probability a Lyft driver might be persuaded to drive for Uber and if so try and recruit them.

That happens all the time with other companies.

As for hailing and canceling rides? No idea if that happens or not. I've heard the same accusations regarding Lyft and private cab companies.

Personally, you're not going to find many riders who give a flip about the rumors regarding what is or is not going on with the marketing of any of these platforms. They want a convenient way to go from A to B.

If people in large numbers really cared about how their product was marketed, produced, etc. then you'd never see American's buy another banana, cheap clothing, or even some electronics.

We can do the "aha, here's a link to prove my perspective" all day.....

Uber Claims Lyft Employees Canceled Nearly 13K Rides

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ft-fight.shtml

The only thing tangible in that article was 'possibly' an Uber memo - which to me read perfectly fine; try and assesses the probability a Lyft driver might be persuaded to drive for Uber and if so try and recruit them.

That happens all the time with other companies.

As for hailing and canceling rides? No idea if that happens or not. I've heard the same accusations regarding Lyft and private cab companies.

Personally, you're not going to find many riders who give a flip about the rumors regarding what is or is not going on with the marketing of any of these platforms. They want a convenient way to go from A to B.

If people in large numbers really cared about how their product was marketed, produced, etc. then you'd never see American's buy another banana, cheap clothing, or even some electronics.

We can do the "aha, here's a link to prove my perspective" all day.....

Uber Claims Lyft Employees Canceled Nearly 13K Rides

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...ft-fight.shtml
    Yeah, I figured that Uber, Lyft, other rideshare companies, and cab companies are all doing unsavory things with/to each other, that's just the way it is right now, the article about Uber was just the first one I saw a while back. I try to buy products and services from companies that aren't scum (or do scummy things) of some sort or another, but it's increasingly hard.

We'll probably still use Uber again in the future, it was pretty handy...

My thoughts on Uber vs Lyft are based on my own brand preferences. I was simply stating my aesthetic opinion and what has resonated with me. The quality of the services will ultimate speak for itself. Right now both companies are being forced to come together to save the rideshare business model from municipal overkill. It would behoove us to work together a little bit.

Saw this recently...its not here yet, but a third entrant can't be bad...bring on the price wars!
    -----
    Gett brings $10 flat-rate rides to Manhattan

The already heated ride-sharing war, led by Uber’s Travis Kalanick, is about to get even more intense — thanks to newcomer Gett.

Ride-sharing startup Gett, which is backed by billionaire Len Blavatnik, only launched in NYC last year and already it is looking to kick up the competition with $10 rides in Manhattan.

A Gett ride in Manhattan — even at peak times — will cost $10 starting Thursday and lasting through the year, company officials told The Post.

For Gett, it’s an opportunity to steal its rivals’ customers, especially the fast-growing Uber. Gett seeks to differentiate itself from Uber, which has been blasted for its “surge” pricing, by boasting flat rates no matter the time of day or the weather.

Gett brings $10 flat-rate rides to Manhattan | New York Post

=====

its starting to look like a race to the bottom for pricing, which ultimately is good for users, since car service is pretty much commoditized.

7. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    My thoughts on Uber vs Lyft are based on my own brand preferences. I was simply stating my aesthetic opinion and what has resonated with me. The quality of the services will ultimate speak for itself. Right now both companies are being forced to come together to save the rideshare business model from municipal overkill. It would behoove us to work together a little bit.
    "It would behoove us to work together a little bit." ---- that's an odd followup to, "...Uber, which is rather dark and draconian..." (with literally zero evidence provided to back that statement up).

FYI - Many drivers actually drive for both companies (regardless of Uber's/Lyft's preference/insistence that they don't).

My aesthetic preference is pretty much limited to a company that provides enough drivers that the service can be counted on, the vehicles are newer and clean, the driver is professional and friendly and the price is fair.

I personally find the fist pumps and canned speeches a turn-off. Not that the original idea wasn't okay. But once you realize the drivers are told to do this, it loses any personality whatsoever. Sort of like when chain restaurants force their employees to always greet customers with the exact same phrase or force all the counter help to yell out "Hello, welcome to ________" every time someone walks in the door. I prefer a more genuine and 'real' experience with employees and a company.

... Sort of like when chain restaurants force their employees to always greet customers with the exact same phrase or force all the counter help to yell out "Hello, welcome to ________" every time someone walks in the door. I prefer a more genuine and 'real' experience with employees and a company.
    This, a thousand times this. The absolute worst example I can think of was the one time I went to Campus Corner with friends to a place called Moe's. They were required to not just say, but holler out, Welcome to Moe's whenever someone entered. Worse still, this was not a duty assigned to just a single greeter, but a cluster bleep chain effect. Apparently, it was mandatory that every employee join in, in turn, whenever the call went up. As they were busy, it would restart before a prior round of bellowed welcomes would finish. Ugh.

If someone is taking both Lyft and Uber calls on the same night, does the 'stache attach with velcro?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    This, a thousand times this. The absolute worst example I can think of was the one time I went to Campus Corner with friends to a place called Moe's. They were required to not just say, but holler out, Welcome to Moe's whenever someone entered. Worse still, this was not a duty assigned to just a single greeter, but a cluster bleep chain effect. Apparently, it was mandatory that every employee join in, in turn, whenever the call went up. As they were busy, it would restart before a prior round of bellowed welcomes would finish. Ugh.
    That, a thousand times, too! Walgreens, at the drive-through pharmacy: "Welcome to Walgreens. How can I help you be well?" And when you are about to drive away: "Be well." Give me a break. It's so completely awful and I feel terrible that the employees are forced to say it.

11. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    If someone is taking both Lyft and Uber calls on the same night, does the 'stache attach with velcro?
    It can come off fairly easily and some just put it on the dashboard. Each company is starting to crack down on this practice by confronting drovers who do it (with an email initially). Pretty easy to spot - just open each app on two different devices and you see available cars at the exact same locations.

12. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

UberXL arrived in OKC today.

UberX = economy transportation for up to 4.

UberXL = a tab bit pricer transportation for up to 6.

Also, flat pricing to football games starts on Saturday for those who don't want to drive themselves or their group.

13. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

UberXL arrived in OKC today.

UberX = economy transportation for up to 4.

UberXL = a tab bit pricer transportation for up to 6.

Also, flat pricing to football games starts on Saturday for those who don't want to drive themselves or their group.
    Trips from South of Hefner to Norman are $40 and $60 if North (it looks like that like that applies to both UberX and UberXL).

I'm not exactly sure how the flat rates work or how easy it is to find one after the game, but $40 per car is not bad at all... especially when you factor in parking.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Trips from South of Hefner to Norman are $40 and $60 if North (it looks like that like that applies to both UberX and UberXL).

I'm not exactly sure how the flat rates work or how easy it is to find one after the game, but $40 per car is not bad at all... especially when you factor in parking.
    Having attended games in Norman for at least 50 years that kind of transportation there would have absolutely no appeal to me at all.

15. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Just saw they have uberXL here now. Could have used that last weekend

16. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

It had HUGE appeal last weekend for many. I know several people who used the service. A friend living at the Maywood had to call for 4 Uber vehicles to get their large group to/from the game. It was mostly a convenience for them - not having to caravan cars and find parking together, then walk, etc. Plus, you don't need a pre-determined 'designated driver.'

Lyft Plus just launched here as well.

19. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

There is a Lyft thread...

20. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Not the kinds of publicity you want for this type of business.
    Police interviewed Botros on Wednesday. During the interview, detectives said Botros described how the victim was dressed, and said in his home country of Egypt, if a woman dresses a certain way, "she [is] asking for that."
    Uber driver in Orlando arrested for groping passenger

I wonder how many incidents have happened with Uber. I'll bet if you made a list of the number of incidents with Uber drivers VS Cab drivers, Uber might take up 2 or 3 percent of the list.

23. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I wonder how many incidents have happened with Uber. I'll bet if you made a list of the number of incidents with Uber drivers VS Cab drivers, Uber might take up 2 or 3 percent of the list.
    Nowhere did I or the article imply that this is a common problem with Uber, Just that, with Uber becoming such an identifiable and popular (perhaps even iconic) brand for this line of business, this is exactly the kind of publicity they don't need. You don't want your brand associated with this sort of activity. "I almost go 'Ubered" last night on the ride home", etc...

As for cabs having the same problem, that's exactly my point. Everyone knows cabs can sometimes be sketchy. Uber is supposed to be the option that's above that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    Nowhere did I or the article imply that this is a common problem with Uber, Just that, with Uber becoming such an identifiable and popular (perhaps even iconic) brand for this line of business, this is exactly the kind of publicity they don't need. You don't want your brand associated with this sort of activity. "I almost go 'Ubered" last night on the ride home", etc...

As for cabs having the same problem, that's exactly my point. Everyone knows cabs can sometimes be sketchy. Uber is supposed to be the option that's above that sort of thing.
    I got you. My bad

25. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

It would be unrealistic to not thing things like this will happen from time-to-time, they simply employ so many people it can't be avoided. There background checks - like every other company's background checks - is limited to what pops up on a traditional background check. So, unless you've had a history of trouble, there is no way for them to predict it or filter you out.

I would like to see Uber do a bit more; like actually meeting with potential drivers before hiring them. This would allow them to make sure they a least appear to be a good fit for the brand. As it is now, they never see you, talk to you, see your car or experience you driving skills (or lack thereof).

Thread Information