Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 86 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212267 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma Sports

Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Thank you Martin for the find. Thanks you PA for the news.
    Heard it on the Sports Animal and there are a lot of posts on tigerdroppings.com about it. Sounds like an injury that may be just enough to limit him or keep him out of the Peach Bowl.

2. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Yep.... And it puts the entire load of the running game on Hurts and Brooks. While they should be fresh with the long break it's still going to wear them down unless CeeDee can take some pressure off of them with some quick scores to keep the offense off the field.
    Don't forget Pledger. He's not shabby.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Don't forget Pledger. He's not shabby.
    Agree but just not the hammer that Stevenson is and has not run the two back set which has worked pretty well at times. Maybe he’ll be our Roland Sales (you have to be old to understand this in OU history).

There is an appeal process for this action by the NCAA. The article quoted Gabe Ikard who said OU is appealing the suspension.

Why are players suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    24/7 Composite rankings the last 5 years (this combines about 4 different recruiting services)

Year OU --- Clemson
    2019 6--------10
    2018 9--------7
    2017 8--------16
    2016 19------11
    2015 15-------9

they have not recruited a lot better than OU
    At the end of each of those years Clemson will get rated higher than OU base on being more successful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bhawes View Post
    Why are players suspended.
    Failed drug tests (reportedly). https://oklahoma.rivals.com/news/key...yoff-semifinal

To lose Perkins for a game against the Heisman winning quarterback is awful news..

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Was it PEDs? Anyone know?

Tested positive for cannabinoids. It is in the link that Martin provided( #399) .

Blog Entries

More bad news for Sooners - strong safety Dellarin Turner-Yell is out of the Peach Bowl with a broken collarbone.

The idea that student athletes should be suspended at all, much less for half a season, for weed just once again shows the hypocrisy of the NCAA. I mean, medicinal weed is legal in Oklahoma and any football player would be able to get a prescription. Moreover, their favorite thing to penalize is taking if a student athlete takes a dime while they rake in the money from their labor. On the other hand, serious crimes like violence against women are brushed and offenders get minor suspensions or can just transfer and hide it. It's all disgusting.

To add to the discussion. MJ is not a performance enhancing drug. The NCAA should concern themselves with drugs that give one team an unfair advantage on the field of play.

14. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    The idea that student athletes should be suspended at all, much less for half a season, for weed just once again shows the hypocrisy of the NCAA. I mean, medicinal weed is legal in Oklahoma and any football player would be able to get a prescription. Moreover, their favorite thing to penalize is taking if a student athlete takes a dime while they rake in the money from their labor. On the other hand, serious crimes like violence against women are brushed and offenders get minor suspensions or can just transfer and hide it. It's all disgusting.
    While I agree with you on marijuana suspensions, they knew the rules. There are a multitude of rules that are in place that are kind of silly but we abide by them anyway.
    As far as players and violence against women, who are you referring to and when?

Dan, I know we often disagree on non-athletics related topics, but as with your other sports takes, you knock it out of the park on this one. Even if the NCAA wants it to be against the rules or maybe it's against team rules, whatever the case, I could see maybe suspending them for a quarter, possession, or something minor to prove a point, but suspending them for one or more games is completely ridiculous, especially when it's legal now in so many states. It would be like suspending someone for underage drinking.

It all goes back to the issues caused by it being illegal at the federal level...should be decriminalized with the legalization decision left to the states though that's a topic for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    As far as players and violence against women, who are you referring to and when?
    Here's a recent story on how the NCAA looks the other way as college athletes punished for violence against women just transfer to other schools and put students at those schools at risk: https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...ay/4360460002/

Currently, athletes are punished for making money off their own image or smoking weed, but rape isn't even an NCAA violation. As to solutions, activists are pushing for the NCAA to ban violent athletes: https://gatehousenews.com/predatorpi.../dispatch.com/ The biggest response I hear to this is that "everyone deserves a second chance," which is true... but you don't get to choose where you get your second chance. It's always important to prioritize victims in these cases and that's not what has happened.

17. Default Re: University of Oklahoma

Here's a recent story on how the NCAA looks the other way as college athletes punished for violence against women just transfer to other schools and put students at those schools at risk: https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...ay/4360460002/

Currently, athletes are punished for making money off their own image or smoking weed, but rape isn't even an NCAA violation. As to solutions, activists are pushing for the NCAA to ban violent athletes: https://gatehousenews.com/predatorpi.../dispatch.com/ The biggest response I hear to this is that "everyone deserves a second chance," which is true... but you don't get to choose where you get your second chance. It's always important to prioritize victims in these cases and that's not what has happened.
    Thanks! I understand your point now and agree there appears to be a huge inequity. It sounds like someone needs to file a lawsuit against the NCAA to make the rules more equal. I think there will soon be a huge overhaul of the NCAA over a number of things. It sounds like this matter will be one of them.

So this game could be going a little better.

Blog Entries

To avoid commenting on the beat down, I will comment on the interesting substitution of Rattler for Jalen. Not sure what that was about - Mordecai has been listed as #2 all season and has been the first in (until today). When they panned to him on the sideline he appeared a little miffed.

Also, announcers said when asked if he was going to NFL, Lincoln said “probably not”....hmmmm.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: University of Oklahoma

Peach Bowl, Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta
    Attendance: 78,347

Oklahoma 28 - Louisiana State 63

Gamecast: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/401135278

Congratulations Tigers, got to give it up LSU on an outstanding Peach Bowl win.

Continue to reach the top 4 playoffs teams; our best days are ahead.

Can pretty much guarantee that Rattler will be the starter next year and Mordecai will either be on the bench, or (most likely) transferring somewhere else.

I left the game at half time. I will beat my standard drumbeat after these playoff losses. The B12 is a weak conference overall that plays gunslinger football for the most part. OU or any team coming out of this league will likely get beat under the new playoff format. The disparity in aggressive play was evident. That has been something I noticed while watching in person all our playoff losses the other team was simply tougher. Finally, I predict OU will not be invited to the final four in the near term unless there is no viable alternative team much like this year.

My "hot take" is that either Riley is going to win a title at OU during the next 2-3 years of the Rattler era, or he's probably leaving for the NFL once Rattler graduates/declares early for the draft and OU isn't going to win a title for a long, long time. OU should have won the title in 2017 if not for nepotism, last year's team obviously should have been a lot better on defense as well but probably wouldn't have hung with Bama and Clemson regardless. This year's team clearly was patched together with duct tape and chewing gum and was fairly fortunate to make it as far as they did, but it was a transitional year so I can't say I'm too disappointed in how everything went, all things considered. Next year will be very interesting, as the team did make some big strides on defense under Grinch this year despite yesterday's implosion, and I also want to see how Rattler does as I do feel he has the potential to be a generational talent at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    I left the game at half time. I will beat my standard drumbeat after these playoff losses. The B12 is a weak conference overall that plays gunslinger football for the most part. OU or any team coming out of this league will likely get beat under the new playoff format. The disparity in aggressive play was evident. That has been something I noticed while watching in person all our playoff losses the other team was simply tougher. Finally, I predict OU will not be invited to the final four in the near term unless there is no viable alternative team much like this year.
    OU has essentially become the football equivalent of the Kansas Jayhawk Basketball program.

Both schools have marginally superior talent to the rest of the Farmer Tad Conference and typically manage to dominate meaningless non-con games and roll through a Charmin soft conference, only to lose in embarrassing fashion during the games that actually mean something.

Would the game have been closer if OU wasn’t missing 4 or 5 key defenders? Sure. But it’s pretty apparent that OU has lacked the type of talent it needs (elite interior pieces) on defense for some time now. Tommy Harris ain’t walking through that door.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Again, being in a weaker conference hasn’t hurt Clemson at all. They’ve won 29 straight and very well could push it to 30 and another national title. Blaming everything on the big 12 is just lazy and frankly, ignorant. It obviously didn’t help that OU ended up down three starters on defense but they are going to have to continue the recruiting surge on defense to improve in the playoff. It is OU’s fault alone that this keeps happening. You can’t blame anyone other than the coaching staff. That said, given what they had to work with this year with Hurts at QB, all the linemen we had to replace, and what little Grinch had to work with in his first year...it was a hell of a coaching job to even get us there. Recruiting on defense will have to continue to improve or we will never have any real shot. We will continue to make it to the playoff if we are undefeated and will likely still get in over most one loss teams if we win the conference, lose to decent or good teams and keep attempting to play a tougher non-conference schedule than the majority of the NCAA.

To put things into perspective, out of 130 schools in the FBS, 11 total have made it to the playoff. 6 of those teams have won at least one game and only 3 have won the title. Only 4 of those 11 teams have gotten repeat bids to the CFP and only Clemson and Alabama have made it to the CFP more often than OU so OU despite our inability to win, OU is still in good company, especially when you look at the entire field...I would much rather win a game or two but to act like OU is some joke of a program in a joke of a conference is an extreme over reaction.

Thread Information