Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Panasonic Battery Plant

1. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Is any of this you say with any backup or is it all just speculation? I say this only because Japan isn't exactly a "woke" society.

Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

The irony of on one hand hating corporate handouts and on the other getting mad at our state for not handing out enough. Almost as great as glorifying big pharma companies 2 years ago.

^ Very true. I both hate corporate subsidies/handouts, and yet desperately want our state to land something big so that we can move up in the world. It's cognitive dissonance for sure, but sometimes you have to grit your teeth and play the game. Obviously Kansas is learning that it's a double edged sword though. Even though they 'won' they are going to be bled dry. It was already a questionable deal to give them so much, but if they go along with the extensions they'll probably be underwater despite the new investment. They'll probably be safe if they say no to anything else though. After all, they beat us by a mile.

I guess the only way to stop the handouts madness would be for a large number of states to come together to stop the practice with a pact of some sort. Not going to happen unfortunately.

There are some states that have those restrictions. It would likely have to come in the form of an interstate compact.

It looks like Volkswagen has chosen the US for a new site but hasn’t said where yet.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...he-2023-02-24/

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It looks like Volkswagen has chosen the US for a new site but hasn’t said where yet.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...he-2023-02-24/
    This is who they are in discussions with currently for building in Oklahoma.

Looking good. Hopefully we get the good news on Friday!

OKLAHOMA CITY — A multibillion-dollar company will decide Friday whether it will expand its operations to the MidAmerica Industrial Park in Pryor, a key state lawmaker said.

Lawmakers on Monday took steps to update an economic development incentive package that would be offered to the unnamed company that reportedly is Volkswagen.

A company that is looking to build a new battery plant is close to deciding whether its new facility will be located in Oklahoma or Canada.

With the clock ticking, a joint legislative budget committee gave approval to legislation that would reduce from 4,000 to 3,500 the number of jobs the company must create within four years in order to be eligible for incentives through the state's LEAD Act. Senate Bill 1176 also would return the $698 million in economic development incentives to the state's general revenue fund if the business doesn't make a binding commitment by April 15.
    - https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-an...9b0e8c517.html

How pathetic it is the state blew the Panasonic deal: https://www.ttnews.com/articles/butt...ng-renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Looking good. Hopefully we get the good news on Friday!

- https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-an...9b0e8c517.html
    Welp.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Welp.
    The article specifically states, “Legislative leaders are expected to fast track the legislation this week, and company leaders are expected to make a decision Friday, with a formal announcement coming the second week of March.”

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    The article specifically states, “Legislative leaders are expected to fast track the legislation this week, and company leaders are expected to make a decision Friday, with a formal announcement coming the second week of March.”
    Good eye, I apparently can't read lol

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Good eye, I apparently can't read lol
    lol no worries.

Might be for Scout, which VW bought. They just announced the vehicle manufacturing facility in SC.

https://www.wistv.com/2023/03/03/mcm...housands-jobs/

'Oklahoma misses out again. Scout was the rumor, and it is going elsewhere. The sad thing is, nothing we can do about it.

Another loss for Stitt, which no conservative seems to give a rat's behind about.

Oklahoma will keep losing these developments, and it is awful. OKC is fine, but the rest of the state is suffering under Bull-Stitt.

Edit: my point stands, but might be too quick on the draw.

That's just for the automotive plant -- I believe this battery plant may be separate.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    That's just for the automotive plant -- I believe this battery plant may be separate.
    I added an edit to my post. I was likely too quick on the draw. Granted, my point still stands.

I appreciate the clarification, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I added an edit to my post. I was likely too quick on the draw. Granted, my point still stands.

I appreciate the clarification, sir!
    It’s usually pretty safe to assume the state will fail/mess something up.

'Oklahoma misses out again. Scout was the rumor, and it is going elsewhere. The sad thing is, nothing we can do about it.

Another loss for Stitt, which no conservative seems to give a rat's behind about.

Oklahoma will keep losing these developments, and it is awful. OKC is fine, but the rest of the state is suffering under Bull-Stitt.

OKC has been one of the fastest growing metros the past 20 years percentage wise. So is it really a loss if we never had it? And to give up so much money to a private company? There will be many other companies come calling, we are a good state to come to and might be able to use our tax money more wisely on 2 or 3 for the same price that an be spread around the state.

And I would love to reply to the political jab but it would not be welcomed here. No politics seems to only apply to certain viewpoints. It is unfair some are allowed as lots of people read this site. Blaming the Gov without any facts to back it up is a very poor choice..

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    OKC has been one of the fastest growing metros the past 20 years percentage wise.
    Depends what exactly you mean by "one of" but this is not really true for the metro area. It's only true for the population of the city itself, which as we know encompasses a larger fraction of the metro area's population than many/most other major cities.

Blog Entries

Many of your MSA cities are losing population in the last 10 years. OKC MSA population has remained consistent over the past 20 years.

Oklahoma City MSA population 2010 1,257,804 - 2020 1,428,709 +170,405/11.93% increase
    Oklahoma City MSA population 2000 1,083,346 - 2010 1,252,987 +169,641/13.5% increase

Oklahoma City CITY Population 2010 579,999 - 2020 687,725 +107,726/15.7% increase
    Oklahoma City CITY population 2000 506,132 - 2010 579,999 +73,867/12.7% increase

Although the numbers are strong for the core central city, the MSA numbers keep OKC among the top 50 in the 42nd/43rd spots.

Consistent population growth especially in the central city over the last 20 years with raw numbers and percentage growth rising in both categories.

21. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Depends what exactly you mean by "one of" but this is not really true for the metro area. It's only true for the population of the city itself, which as we know encompasses a larger fraction of the metro area's population than many/most other major cities.
    Which, by definition, makes it part of the metro area. To your point, it's a complement to OKC that people desire to live acually in the city and not just the burbs.

Oh, well, every time a state manages to nab a major new industrial plant 49 states lost out on it

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Oh, well, every time a state manages to nab a major new industrial plant 49 states lost out on it
    Not even remotely true. Not all bid on these projects.

24. Default Re: Panasonic Battery Plant

They picked Canada. What a surprise!

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...da-2023-03-13/

How incredibly Oklahoma this all is.

Thread Information