Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 121314151617

Thread: Kroger

1. Default Re: Kroger

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Why would the Whole Foods in OKC be significantly worse than any other area of the country? I haven't noticed any difference compared to the Southern California area, which is like the world capital of WF. The TJ's here is far less busy and better stocked than any I saw in California; same is true of Costco.

We should have more stores like Uptown Grocery but you don't go?

The grass is always greener somewhere else.
    Whole Foods in OKC is exactly the same as the one l use in south Denver.

Default Re: Kroger

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    The fact that Melissa, TX will have better grocery elections, per capita, than OKC ever will, is hard to fathom.

OKC has a few nice grocery stores, but most Homelands are adequate, nothing special. Same with Crest, aside from the Fresh Markets. Uptown used to be elite, but I don't love them since the takeover (and it has NOTHING to do with no alcohol). 1 Whole Foods, 1 Trader Joe's, OKC hits way below its weight class, compared to other cities of its size. It can improve, but it would take Homeland and Crest stepping their game up, or an outsider coming in to force them to.
    Actually, we drove through Melissa on the way back from Skate America in Allen last weekend, and it's part of the huge mega-DFW-sprawl, you can't compare Melissa by itself to OKC's metro area.

I will agree with the local stores not being up to where they should be. Homeland used to serve Boar's Head deli meat, now it's crap from Dietz & Watson, just for one data point. Their selection is very standard, nothing really out of the ordinary or great, just basic. Private Selection pizzas, mac'n'cheese, Home Chef Soup from Kroger are extremely good, and we have nothing like that at Crest, HL, etc., for another data point. I could go on, but just see what you can get at Kroger if you need something aside from the basic-level items and see if you can get that at Crest, WM, HL, Uptown, etc. Sprouts is our go-to for produce, some wine, and fresh things we don't want to take a chance on from Kroger, and even they are lacking sometimes.

We tried some Dietz & Watson hot dogs from Homeland after reading an article that they were rated #2 in quality after Nathans which were rated #1. The Dietz & Watson hot dogs were horrible. After grilling them the skins were so tough you couldn't bite through them.
    Something I just saw at the Crest in Yukon a few days ago that I have never seen in any Oklahoma grocery store ever was Krakus Polish Ham. It is really big up north and in the Chicago area where I'm from. So anyone from up there that is missing some of that you can go to that Crest and get some.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    We tried some Dietz & Watson hot dogs from Homeland after reading an article that they were rated #2 in quality after Nathans which were rated #1. The Dietz & Watson hot dogs were horrible. After grilling them the skins were so tough you couldn't bite through them.
    Something I just saw at the Crest in Yukon a few days ago that I have never seen in any Oklahoma grocery store ever was Krakus Polish Ham. It is really big up north and in the Chicago area where I'm from. So anyone from up there that is missing some of that you can go to that Crest and get some.
    For awhile, Crest had 8-packs of Vienna beef hot dogs, which I didn't think I would ever see. They were $5.98 at first but I think they were eventually marked down to $3.98 or even less.

I prefer Vienna Beef over Nathan's or Hebrew National. One of the highlights of our summer trips to Colorado/Manitou Springs was stopping at a small hotdog stand for Chicago Style hot dogs prepared with all of the authentic Vienna Beef products (hotdog, bun, relish, etc..).

I hope the Polish Ham at Crest is not a one and done thing and they continue to stock it. I will be a regular buyer if they do. I miss that from Chicago as much as White Castle.

I can attest to the difference in Whole Foods in north Dallas and ours in OKC. The one's in Dallas are much larger, has more items in stock and has a larger variety of items. Ours in OKC seems way more compact than others I've been to. In Ashville, NC, the Whole Foods has a large bar area and you can walk around shopping sipping on local brews.

This is not to knock ours here in the city. It is just different than others I've visited. I love ours and we frequent it often driving in from North Edmond. Hoping we do get one in Edmond perhaps in a larger footprint.

We also love Trader Joes, which ours here does seem more compact than the one in north Dallas we take my mom to when we go help her shop.

Would love to get an HEB or Kroger Marketplace here.

Would be super happy if Central Market would open a new location in OKC! One of my favorites when I lived in Plano! I was in TJ's last week on Sunday and they were slammed! I casually asked if they planned on opening up any new locations and the clerk replied they are looking at opening up to two additional locations in the OKC metro.

Thread Information