Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

A hotel in the boathouse district would be great too, maybe not necessary but would still be legit. I know OKANA opening up will kind of fill that void.

OKC is the only city outside of California that will be hosting?!

How much grandstand capacity will be needed at the whitewater facility ?

Anyone have an idea ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post

Anyone have an idea ?
    I believe they are looking at 10-12K.

Remember that RFP I posted about new plans for the Whitewater facility? That's what it was about and AHMM won the planning rights which have already started.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This would be a great time for the Chickasaws to announce a big hotel in the Remington Park parking lot, something we have all be clamoring for.
    Is this a wink to something you've heard?

I'm sure you've heard rumblings about new developments coming in association with this news. I won't pry it out of you, just curious if there were any.

No, I haven't heard anything specific about a hotel on the Remington grounds but do know it was discussed long before the Olympics came on the radar.

[URL="https://la28.org/en/newsroom/la28-updates-venue-plan.html"]
    Moving out of the City of Los Angeles – requires City approval
    Olympic Swimming to Inglewood
    Paralympic Swimming to Long Beach
    Olympic Artistic Swimming to Long Beach
    Olympic Basketball to Inglewood
    Olympic Canoe Slalom to the City of Oklahoma City
    Olympic and Paralympic Equestrian to Temecula
    Olympic and Paralympic Shooting to existing venue outside of Los Angeles
    Interesting that softball is included in the body of the announcement, but not in this list. Maybe just an oversight, but I assume it needs City approval, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Interesting that softball is included in the body of the announcement, but not in this list. Maybe just an oversight, but I assume it needs City approval, too.
    I believe it's because a softball venue was never previously announced; there was a provisional plan for the whitewater events in the Sepulveda basin, which is within L.A. city limits.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    I'd like to see them add shade awnings over the seating. Summer time in OKC is brutal, and I'm assuming games will be played all day long.
    OMG YES I hope someone sees this been saying it for years.

I was curious about the format. Looks like in 2020 there were six teams competing over 6 days for a total of 17 games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softba...ummer_Olympics

In 2008, there were 8 teams, with about 30 games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softba...ummer_Olympics

It will be interesting to see what the format is and how many teams / games there are.

Let’s goooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

I believe it's because a softball venue was never previously announced; there was a provisional plan for the whitewater events in the Sepulveda basin, which is within L.A. city limits.
    That makes sense. Thanks.

This has to be by far the biggest thing to ever happen to the city, right? I was happy enough to just get the canoe slalom. To get both events is truly amazing. I am so grateful and proud of OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    This has to be by far the biggest thing to ever happen to the city, right?
    IMO, the only single thing that would compare was getting the Thunder.

Blog Entries

OKC is easily the softball capital of the world.

And that's because our city has supported the WCWS for decades and help build it into the amazingly popular sport it is today. And we have also heavily invested with our own tax dollars.

It's hard to comprehend the enormity of all this. And we've got 4 years to revel in the attention, plus we don't have to spend a ton of money for all the amazing recognition.

It sounds over the top, but this is the type of thing that may kick OKC into being a Tier 2 city.
    Now, all we need is a 1907' high tower.

I'll admit I know next to nothing about how canoe slalom works, especially qualifying criteria, but this says, as of October last year, 24 different countries had qualified for events in Paris:

https://www.canoeicf.com/news/update...%20next%20year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Now, all we need is a 1907' high tower.
    Oddly, this announcement will only help the other 3 towers to get built, which is by far the most important thing.

Get ready for much more publicity about OKC being the next hot city. It is a very strong argument.

Anyone have an idea ?
    Yes, per the LA Times article. Speaks volumes about the work David Holt put in with his relationship with Mayor Garcetti. Just incredible news for our city, which is destined for even more greatness. So proud of OKC and all that we have done as citizens -- and visitors -- to support this dramatic ongoing transformation.

Oddly, this announcement will only help the other 3 towers to get built, which is by far the most important thing.

Get ready for much more publicity about OKC being the next hot city. It is a very strong argument.
    It's already happening. I saw an article yesterday mentioning OKC as the ninth-best place for new college graduates to move to. All of the other cities were bigger and more well-known. We are already on the lists.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Yes, per the LA Times article. Speaks volumes about the work David Holt put in with his relationship with Mayor Garcetti. Just incredible news for our city, which is destined for even more greatness. So proud of OKC and all that we have done as citizens -- and visitors -- to support this dramatic ongoing transformation.
    The 'build it and they will come approach' of tax-supported facilities continues to pay dividends; and it was the only reason we got a shot at an NBA team.

Got to get tickets for the family. I have several years to save up at least lol

I hope the city gets proactive now on making the city as great as possible. There are some I've seen who don't like this news, due to the increase of tourists, and traffic increases....4 years out.

The new arena might just be in the picture as well. If completed, great place for telecommunication, news networks, media operations, transportation and other information etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    I hope the city gets proactive now on making the city as great as possible. There are some I've seen who don't like this news, due to the increase of tourists, and traffic increases....4 years out.
    Those people can deal with it for a couple weeks. lol

The new arena might just be in the picture as well. If completed, great place for telecommunication, news networks, media operations, transportation and other information etc.
    The newly revised goal is to have it ready by the summer of 2028, and I said at the time I didn't think that timing was coincidental.

It will at least look pretty in all the coverage shots.

Thread Information