Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

It seems that with the demolition of the garage, the two original developers are abandoning all hope in developing along their original plan.

Story also says they will create a lawn.

My sense is they are going to sit on this property while the lawsuit plays out, then probably sell it.

Sad. But this area needs a mixed-use development, not just apartments. Hines has done so much better than this, so am empty lot is almost better.

Hopefully it gets litigated reasonably quickly, so the next steps can take place.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    Sad. But this area needs a mixed-use development, not just apartments. Hines has done so much better than this, so am empty lot is almost better.

Hopefully it gets litigated reasonably quickly, so the next steps can take place.
    Unlikely, given that the Steelyard lawsuit from 2018 is still ongoing.

Wow. Such a lost opportunity. Almost tragic.

Maybe after they sell it someone will come in and develop it into a mixed use with more emphasis on retail. I doubt we see another gigantic apartment complex here, ever. Hopefully I'm wrong.

A big field for the next decade would be bummer.

The original plan with retail running through it was a ton better than what this turned into. Maybe this will be a blessing in disguise.

7. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    The original plan with retail running through it was a ton better than what this turned into. Maybe this will be a blessing in disguise.
    I totally agree with you there!

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    From your lips to God’s ears. Hines and Humphreys are certainly capable of so much better.

A mini Oak development would be cool. A combo boutique hotel with a few floors of Apartments. A total of 4 stories hotel/residential building. Including an open plaza with retail restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    A mini Oak development would be cool. A combo boutique hotel with a few floors of Apartments. A total of 4 stories hotel/residential building. Including an open plaza with retail restaurants.
    Wasn't something like this proposed for this area at one point?

I have no inside knowledge, but this makes me think the unneeded and unsecured parking garage would need to be lit, fenced and possibly patrolled by security to maintain safety for the neighboring property owners. Squatters, skateboarders and improved property taxes and insurance can be a steady drain on the checking account of the owners. Especially if you add in the possibility that the garage might have gotten so hot that getting an engineer to guarantee there is zero chance of failure might be difficult.

That makes sense, Dob. I’m sure I’m not alone in hoping this isn’t just another empty lot for half a decade, though.

It was similar. No Hotel tho.

14. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

I can think of multiple prime pieces of property in OKC that sat empty for most or all of the 45 or so years that I’ve been at least a part time resident of the metro. Five or ten years is a blip in the development world.

Default Re: Residences at Classen Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    These plans from a few years ago show fewer apartments and some retail which now seems to be no longer part of the development plans.

These were the initial conceptual plans.

I can't think of any other plot of land in this city would it be easier to live without a car. Hopefully some sort of housing happens here in the next 10 years.

18. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I can't think of any other plot of land in this city would it be easier to live without a car. Hopefully some sort of housing happens here in the next 10 years.
    Why do people not want cars? You are stuck in a small area unless you pay someone to take you somewhere else.
    (I really thought I asked this earlier, but I guess I didn't verify the post went through.)

Quote Originally Posted by bamarsha View Post
    Why do people not want cars? You are stuck in a small area unless you pay someone to take you somewhere else.
    (I really thought I asked this earlier, but I guess I didn't verify the post went through.)
    I got rid of my car in 2017. I live 90% of my life within two square miles. I have no regrets. It’s been such a higher quality of life.

20. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Even if most people still want to own a car and have the freedom to move around both locally and at distance, many still want to live somewhere where cars are truly optional. If your only choice to get around and live your life REQUIRES that you own a car, that’s the OPPOSITE of the freedom you believe cars represent.

Not trying to make light of your question, but you mention having to “pay someone to take you somewhere else” like you don’t have to pay to buy a car, maintain it, and insure it. If anything, the cost of owning a car is one of the more well-known barriers to entry of car ownership.

22. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    Not trying to make light of your question, but you mention having to “pay someone to take you somewhere else” like you don’t have to pay to buy a car, maintain it, and insure it. If anything, the cost of owning a car is one of the more well-known barriers to entry of car ownership.
    That's very true, good point. Maybe I should have went with the original phrasing (that I thought I posted) about being dependent on someone else (not just paying someone else).

I was just curious as I have never even considered not having a car. Just seems getting to work, getting kids to school, going to the store (especially since they made shopping carts harder to "take with you"), and all that gets a lot more complicated.

I may be a little odd here, but I also hate going downtown/midtown (and Penn Square Mall) because of all the traffic and parking issues... but I still need my car. Haha! I was just curious on what the appeal of no car is, so I thought I would ask (since that's the way this convo went).

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Even if most people still want to own a car and have the freedom to move around both locally and at distance, many still want to live somewhere where cars are truly optional. If your only choice to get around and live your life REQUIRES that you own a car, that’s the OPPOSITE of the freedom you believe cars represent.
    and like wise living somewhere that owning a car is only affordable for the ultra rich is also the OPPOSITE of freedom ..

It is nice to not have to drive everywhere. I like being able to walk 10-15 minutes and be able to get something I need. It is like having quests IRL.

25. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

That conversation thread was likely deleted because it became argumentative and wasn't trending in the right direction. I appreciate that they keep us on the topic even when sometimes I veer wildly off it.

Thread Information