Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: National Basketball Association

Default Re: National Basketball Association

Next up-CJ Miles and Rudy Gay Thunder targets. Get these 2 and you have a pretty good lineup and depth. That team with PG13 would have prob. beat Houston in the playoffs and gave GS a run. Depth is what gave the Rockets the advantage. When the Thunder starters were on the floor they were as good or better than the Rockets. As soon as Russ sat the Rockets took control. I doubt that happens with CJ Miles and Gay coming off the bench.

I would say that Roberson is a higher priority than Miles or Gay. We'll find out soon enough...

Roberson and Paul George playing defense together combined with Adams would be a tremendous defensive unit.

Several reports say the Thunder is targeting Zach Randolph. That would be...interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Several reports say the Thunder is targeting Zach Randolph. That would be...interesting.
    I would be interested to see how he and Russell would work together. They are both very passionate people and don't really hold their emotions down.

Gay would prob. replace Kanter and Miles to replace Christion. Still think the Thunder are trying to move Kanter. This might allow the Thunder to keep Roberson if Gay comes as an MLE 1+1 deal. The Thunder would be a much stronger team than last years and would move into contention for number 2 spot in the west. Still would leave McDermott and Abrines and Grant on 2nd unit. That would be some decent depth and allow the Thunder to play small if Presti can get it done. I think this would be about the best the Thunder could put out there and would make them a legit contender. This has to be Presti's master plan IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I would be interested to see how he and Russell would work together. They are both very passionate people and don't really hold their emotions down.
    Russell Westbrook & Mighty Jo Z-Bo (Randolph)?

Recipe mixture for human nitroglycerin; they would blow up the Peake.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Gay would prob. replace Kanter and Miles to replace Christion. Still think the Thunder are trying to move Kanter. This might allow the Thunder to keep Roberson if Gay comes as an MLE 1+1 deal. The Thunder would be a much stronger team than last years and would move into contention for number 2 spot in the west. Still would leave McDermott and Abrines and Grant on 2nd unit. That would be some decent depth and allow the Thunder to play small if Presti can get it done. I think this would be about the best the Thunder could put out there and would make them a legit contender. This has to be Presti's master plan IMO.
    Interesting idea. The small part is spot on with replacing a backup 5 with a 3.

Taj Gibson signed with Minnesota, leaving the Thunder bare at PF.

At 14MM per, let him go

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    They have the guy playing for the Blue that they drafted in the 2nd round a couple years ago. Can't think of his name right now but he averaged 18-19 ppg and a bunch of rebounds last season. I heard some talk of them wanting to bring him up last season but didn't have any room on the roster. I do know he went to Kentucky and was their 6th man and did pretty well on a roster that was stacked with 1st round draft picks.

Hard to believe that Taj got that much. He is a decent reserve and has a decent all around game but 14mil per? Kanter is a better player at not much more and some think his contract is excessive. I hope we keep Kanter since he is a force on offense. Yes, he can struggle against some teams but he will win you more overall than he will lose. He's a good player.

They have the guy playing for the Blue that they drafted in the 2nd round a couple years ago. Can't think of his name right now but he averaged 18-19 ppg and a bunch of rebounds last season. I heard some talk of them wanting to bring him up last season but didn't have any room on the roster. I do know he went to Kentucky and was their 6th man and did pretty well on a roster that was stacked with 1st round draft picks.
    I would not expect Dakari Johnson to contribute to the Thunder in any meaningful way any time soon. He's done okay in the G-League, but his celing is probably an-end-of-the-bench big. Josh Huestis is more likely, but he just hasn't shown he has the overall skills to contribute either. Relying on either player would send a strong message to Russ that the Thunder are incapable of filling out their roster with NBA-level players. Remember, the Thunder thought Semaj Christon was ready to contribute from the G-League and it he was a disaster for OKC. The Thunder would have been better off keeping Ronnie Price instead of paying him not to play.

Losing Taj stinks. He's good, but $14 million is a lot for the Thunder with their salary cap constraints. If the Thunder don't get Rudy Gay, I could see a combination of Jermai Grant, Doug McDermott, and Paul George getting minutes at the 4. Roberson can play in the 4 spot offensively. There were rumblings late in the season that McDermott might try to work on his game so he could play at the 4 and Grant has already done so some. However, in late game situations, I bet the Thunder would want George at the 4 in a line with Russ, Abrines/McDermott, Roberson, George, Adams. George has publically stated he doesn't like playing the 4 defensively even though it's a great spot for him in small ball lineups. In the end, I hope the Thunder can pick up someone (Gay or otherwise) who has more experience playing the 4. It's a bit concerning to go into the season without a guy who has played the position.

Dakari Johnson - but today's game may be beyond him. He's big but slow.

Hard to believe that Taj got that much. He is a decent reserve and has a decent all around game but 14mil per? Kanter is a better player at not much more and some think his contract is excessive. I hope we keep Kanter since he is a force on offense. Yes, he can struggle against some teams but he will win you more overall than he will lose. He's a good player.
    Taj Gibson is a much better overall player than Kanter, which is why he is valued highly by a number of NBA teams. He's very good defensively and decent offensively (even if he can't stretch the floor to the 3 point line). From everything I've heard, there is almost no market for Kanter. To get rid of him the Thunder might have to give up another assett. Kanter is skilled, but players like him, Greg Monroe, and Jahlil Okafor are just not valued in the modern pace-and-space NBA. Teams want versatile bigs, not post-up players that can be played off the court by small ball lineups that kill offensive spacing. More traditional bigs can still succeed in the league if they can catch lobs, protect the rim, and show some athleticism (see Steven Adams). Obviously, being one of the worst defenders in the NBA more than negates what Kanter brings on offense. His individual numbers may look good, but he kills offensive spacing with his post-ups and poor passing. I love Kanter, but if the Thunder could offload him for nothing I think they would have already done it.

Kanter is good against a lot of teams offensively, but he's unplayable against two really important teams: the Rockets and Warriors.

Blog Entries

That's where the coach & the GM come into play. Rotate combinations of players to produce the best outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Taj Gibson is a much better overall player than Kanter, which is why he is valued highly by a number of NBA teams. He's very good defensively and decent offensively (even if he can't stretch the floor to the 3 point line). From everything I've heard, there is almost no market for Kanter. To get rid of him the Thunder might have to give up another assett. Kanter is skilled, but players like him, Greg Monroe, and Jahlil Okafor are just not valued in the modern pace-and-space NBA. Teams want versatile bigs, not post-up players that can be played off the court by small ball lineups that kill offensive spacing. More traditional bigs can still succeed in the league if they can catch lobs, protect the rim, and show some athleticism (see Steven Adams). Obviously, being one of the worst defenders in the NBA more than negates what Kanter brings on offense. His individual numbers may look good, but he kills offensive spacing with his post-ups and poor passing. I love Kanter, but if the Thunder could offload him for nothing I think they would have already done it.
    Don't forget to add D and not 3 guys, a la Tony Allen, Roberson, Thabo Sefolosha, and Andre Roberson. I suspect if Roberson gets a significant contract, it'll be the same reason Kanter did and its to turn the screws on OKC.

If Roberson gets more than 5 mil per yr contract I am not matching if I'm the Thunder.

Blog Entries

If Roberson gets more than 5 mil per yr contract I am not matching if I'm the Thunder.
    Thunder made a qualifying offer to Dre for $4.59 million on June 26. Agree OKCRT if he doesn't accept it, let him walk.

IF Roberson makes improvements in the two critical areas (free throws/3 point shooting); then that improvement will dictate how much he will get for the next free agency. Right now, those critical areas could cost the team; especially when opponents' strategy purposefully fouls him because he can't shoot free throws.

The Eastern Conference is historically bad. Wish the NBA would rebalance/shift the conferences, but I doubt they will.

Lol. There were times Roberson was the second most valuable player on the team. I think his basement is $8-10 million. If this was last summer, he'd have got at least $15 million. Let's hope teams run out of cap space age the Thunder get a good deal.

Roberson is even more valuable on a team with Paul George. He'll have less offensive responsibility and can help the Thunder be a top 5 defense. While Roberson stinks on offense, his defensive versatility is incredibly important in the modem day NBA.

If the Thunder let Roberson walk, why would westbrook stay with a franchise that just lets valuable players leave? Remember, there's no evidence that OKC could replace him with anyone. OKC has never landed a decent free agent yet. The Thunder need Roberson.

I predict the Thunder sign Roberson to a 4/40 extension. That would be a good price for OKC.

The Eastern Conference is historically bad. Wish the NBA would rebalance/shift the conferences, but I doubt they will.
    It's unreal. Some Eastern team will probably get in the playoffs 10 games under .500...

Again, I think people way undervalue Roberson. He's one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. Like Dan said, with Paul George now on the team, Roberson's offensive liability will be lessened and will allow him to be an even bigger beast on defense.

I think it would be a huge mistake to let Roberson go.

Also, it's not as simple as keep Roberson or let him walk. If you let him walk, but can't get anyone else, then what's the point? Presti knows more than us and if Roberson's price gets high maybe he decides to spend that money on Rudy Gay (if he indicated he'd come). But I'd rather have Roberson than an old, achilles recovering Gay.

Side note: I don't mind the Thunder signing Gay for $5-7 million or so, but Gay turned down a $14 million dollar player option even if that was before his injury. There are also going to be some other good players available if the Thunder can wait out the market... this free agency period will tell us whether OKC can convince players to come here.

Remember, the Thunder already offered Roberson $48 million for 4 years last summer and Roberson turned it down. However, the market was way better for players last summer. There's a chance OKC could get a deal on Roberson... it really all depends on what interest he gets from other teams. We should find out soon.

Thread Information