Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212267 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn Square Mall

1. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

this may have been posted earlier, and if so im sorry, but does anyone have any pictures of PS when it was an open air mall?? I'm too young to remember it that way.

Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    this may have been posted earlier, and if so im sorry, but does anyone have any pictures of PS when it was an open air mall?? I'm too young to remember it that way.
    Check out page 5 of this thread. I wish I was too young to remember this. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Check out page 5 of this thread. I wish I was too young to remember this. LOL
    Going back and looking at the picture got me reading Spartan's little rant again. Ha! I forget how delusional that guy is! What happened to him? I never see him post anymore (not a bad thing though).

Also, did Penn Square always have the same layout it does now? Meaning, has it expanded since it was open air?

When then enclosed it, they added the entire wings to the north (movie theater) and west (originally Foley's) and a complete second level.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    When then enclosed it, they added the entire wings to the north (movie theater) and west (originally Foley's) and a complete second level.
    Thanks Pete.

I'll try and find an original floorplan.

Basically, it was John A. Brown and Rothschild's on the far west end and Ward's where Penney's is now.

The main area of smaller shops ran east/west from Browns (on right in picture below) & Rothschild's (on left) towards Wards. There was a courtyard in the middle where every Christmas they had a house for Santa.

Quote Originally Posted by ProV1x View Post
    Going back and looking at the picture got me reading Spartan's little rant again. Ha! I forget how delusional that guy is! What happened to him? I never see him post anymore (not a bad thing though).

Also, did Penn Square always have the same layout it does now? Meaning, has it expanded since it was open air?
    LOL. Yeah he still posts, but not as much. He lives out of state. He likes to post fancy words and utopian theories he learns in academia, but I still find him a valuable poster to this site.

What year did the mall become an enclosed mall?

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Ward's where Penney's is now.
    i thought that penney's was added on in the 90's... -M

Yes, should have thought of that!

Here is that 1969 aerial cropped. Not sure what was in the back that I labeled ???.

Penney's was added on directly east of Ward's which is now Dillard's.

the spot macy's now occupies was added later... i think the "???" might have been a grocery store in '69. -M

It was enclosed as a single level mall around 1980 (I found the drawings in the vault at Benham one time), the expansion (second level, JCP, movie theater) was in the late 80's to early 90's.

JCP was added somewhere in the mid 90's. It was the very last major change to the mall.

Penn Square is just about the only local mall I can stand. I used to like browsing in that "New Age" place on the second level with all the plants and little waterfalls and trippy music. Can't remember the name of it . . . And Successories . . . And Franklin Quest . . . And was it the Pepperoni Grill by the entrance next to Penn? Wasn't The Sharper Image store in there at one time?

18. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

I remember a New Age themed store called Earth Home, but it was on the first floor near or at where the Apple Store is now. There was a Sharper Image near Center Court, I forget which hallway.

Wasn't The Sharper Image store in there at one time?
    they were there for a long time, I do not remember if it make it to when all their stores closed but it was their past the chains prime

And was it the Pepperoni Grill by the entrance next to Penn?
    There is one now, was it ever on the second floor years ago or did I just imagine that?

looks like the grocery was a humpty dumpty in 1970... -M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    the spot macy's now occupies was added later... i think the "???" might have been a grocery store in '69. -M
    Yes, there was a Humpty Dumpty back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    I remember a New Age themed store called Earth Home, but it was on the first floor near or at where the Apple Store is now. There was a Sharper Image near Center Court, I forget which hallway.
    Sharper image was where Fossil is now and Earth Home was right next to Apple iirc

23. Default Re: Penn Square Mall

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Sharper image was where Fossil is now and Earth Home was right next to Apple iirc
    My Aunt and Uncle owned The Sheen Drug when Penn Square first opened. They had a drug store right next to Humpty Dumpty. They only stayed there a few years.

Blog Entries

Was Val Genes there also?

Does anyone remember what the candy place was called where Starbucks is now? I knew there was some kind of candy place there I just can't remember its name.

Some of my favorite stores when I was younger were Electronique Boutiques, The WB Store and Suncoast, I miss some of the older stores in Penn Square.

Thread Information