Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 217 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212267117 ... LastLast

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center & Hotel

On second thought - I'm not worried about it. When we start talking real dollars the public **** is going to hit the fan and this process will be stopped dead in tracks and I feel sorry for any public figure that backed this plan.

The North side is such a stupid location... It's going to serve the same purpose the old I-40 crosstown served for so many years. A WALL!!!!!! We just got rid of that wall and it feels completely different/open down there now. The South site is clearly the best location, yeah there's not much development there right now.. By the time this thing breaks ground, the central park will be finished, correct? Which in return will bring development in itself, correct? Plus with the loading docks (which can't really be dressed up too much) facing the railroad tracks... It only makes sense. Just my 2 cents.

3. Default Re: Convention Center & Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The problem with their criteria and weighting system is they are only considering the best site for the Convention Center, not what would be best overall for the city and downtown in particular.

So of course they are going to land on the best piece of development property downtown, but by doing so create all other types of issues that we've already discussed ad nauseum.

Also, by moving this project way up in terms of implementation timeline, the South site is greatly disadvantaged because as of now, there is no development in that area which counts against it.

And finally, I think they have greatly underestimated the site acquisition premium for the North site.

However, I've long been resigned to the way this is going to play out: On the North site and way, way over budget.
    This. The CC has justified itself in some circles, the ones driving the show. The only recourse we have is to make an over budget convention center not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    This. The CC has justified itself in some circles, the ones driving the show. The only recourse we have is to make an over budget convention center not an option.
    Can we somehow collude with the owners of the Ford Site to ask for more than the city can afford?

But in all seriousness, if the asking price is too high for the North site, is there any chance the city tries to Em. Dom. the owners, or will they move the site?

It doesn't really matter how much the land cost - the method of construction to put this undergound - and below the water table - is going to make it cost prohibitive. Plus they still have to figure out where the loading docks go - either facing the boulevard and central park, MBG, or the Arena. They can't do it on the west side because that is the expansion side and they can't close the loading bays for 2 years when they do a future expansion. Honestly, I am stunned at the effort put forth to force a square peg into a round hole but they just keep trying.

The Cox Center is paid for. Has underground parking. The convention rooms are basically the northern 1/4 of the building. The rest is the arena and the large room for exhibits on the west side. I'd say build the new facility on everything except the norther 1/4, which could still be used for meetings. The Barons can make a temp move to the Fairgrounds arena or Peake. When completed, the north 1/4 could be the site for the new CC hotel.

This sounds crazy but could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    The Cox Center is paid for. Has underground parking. The convention rooms are basically the northern 1/4 of the building. The rest is the arena and the large room for exhibits on the west side. I'd say build the new facility on everything except the norther 1/4, which could still be used for meetings. The Barons can make a temp move to the Fairgrounds arena or Peake. When completed, the north 1/4 could be the site for the new CC hotel.

This sounds crazy but could be done.
    It wouldn't be a temp move, it would be a permanent move. And regarding the underground parking, the major support piers wouldn't be able to support a hotel and probably not in the right place to support the orientation of a new convention center on top.

It can still be done, but its not as straight forward as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    It wouldn't be a temp move, it would be a permanent move. And regarding the underground parking, the major support piers wouldn't be able to support a hotel and probably not in the right place to support the orientation of a new convention center on top.

It can still be done, but its not as straight forward as it sounds.
    It would be more difficult than starting from scratch, but millions would be saved from the site acquisition alone, which would be an attempt to bring the cost back in line. They could 're-pier' where needed.

This would allow what is considered the chosen prime location for better use.

In the initial round of evaluating 8 potential sites, the Cox Center was the clear #1.

When they reduced it to the four finalists, they eliminated the Cox site up front for the reasons shown below:

The funny thing is that a new expo hall is going to be built at the State Fair Park midway through the Maps 3 program that could handle some of these events during construction if needed.

Sounds like that if the Cox center is ever demolished, a new central plant would have to be built for the arena.

They just want to use the dealership site to hide the crackheads at the park from existing downtown

Since when does land cost infrastructure improvements and construction cost not considered in the design. Okc is going to end up with a 1 acre park 500 feet of trails and sidewalk 1 senior center 2 blocks of streetcar and a massivily overbudget CC that's stuck in limbo just like the Indian arts center. Then they'll want another 700 million to finish the convention center land short us on what the people actually want

Quote Originally Posted by 1972ford View Post
    They just want to use the dealership site to hide the crackheads at the park from existing downtown

t
    They may have their own political reasons for building at the Ford site, but this isn't one of them. The whole point of the new central park and core to shore is to redevelop this area. Besides, the "bad area" you think of is south of the new I-40. North of I-40 is a run down industrial district which will see 40 acres bulldozed next year to make way for parkland.

So how far over budget on maps projects are we already. I know the sidewalks were scaled back by 2/3

Quote Originally Posted by 1972ford View Post
    So how far over budget on maps projects are we already. I know the sidewalks were scaled back by 2/3
    I think things are a little premature to know exactly where the budget is on anything, including the sidewalks. The last word out was they were going to take a second look and revise priorities to obtain more sidewalks. I don't think a contract has been let on any CBD Maps3 projects yet, other than engineering and evaluations.

Interviews for the Convention Center A/E Team are occuring tomorrow...

Steve confirms what all of us knew - the convention center site is not a popular choice.

MAPS 3 convention center site is being questioned | NewsOK.com

MAPS 3 convention center site is being questioned
    A debate that has been ongoing mostly behind the scenes about the selected site for the MAPS 3 Oklahoma City convention center is starting to go public.

Read more: MAPS 3 convention center site is being questioned | NewsOK.com

There is a Convention Center Subcommittee meeting today but the group violated the open meeting law by not posting the agenda and notice until this morning.

I wonder if much will come out about the site acquisition progress.

I sure hope so, these people need to be exposed for the lack of openness to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Are these interviews public?
    No, they are not.

There is a Convention Center Subcommittee meeting today but the group violated the open meeting law by not posting the agenda and notice until this morning.
    Really?

I was told there was a meeting today and yesterday I double-checked the City's system and there was no sign of it.

This morning, it was listed.

They are required to provide 48-hour notice.

I'm glad that the Planning Commissioners won't let Couch & Co. push them around and will allow further transparency for the CC site to continue. I hope a new site is chosen, so we can see some private urban development downtown to front the new boulevard.

I was told there was a meeting today and yesterday I double-checked the City's system and there was no sign of it.

This morning, it was listed.

They are required to provide 48-hour notice.

Was it perhaps posted timely somewhere other than the web? When I worked with a state agency that had a board, for many years the agency did not have a web site. Meeting agendas were posted at the agency HQ and whereever the board was physically going to meet.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    I'm glad that the Planning Commissioners won't let Couch & Co. push them around and will allow further transparency for the CC site to continue. I hope a new site is chosen, so we can see some private urban development downtown to front the new boulevard.
    the planning commissioners have nothing to do with the site selection .... the CC can go there right now ... the only issue would be .. if the the planning commission doesn't pass that item and then the city has to use ED to get the site they would have a future issue if they allowed private business to operate there

they would not have that issue if that came to an agreement .. to buy the site ...

also of note is that they don't really need the planning commission approval .. they could vote it down and then the city council could approve it any way ..

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Was it perhaps posted timely somewhere other than the web? When I worked with a state agency that had a board, for many years the agency did not have a web site. Meeting agendas were posted at the agency HQ and whereever the board was physically going to meet.
    There is that chance. The official post board is outside of Council Chambers. That is where the City Clerk posts all notices. She is extremely thorough regarding that, I'll give her that.

NOW, whether or not that is enough nowadays is a separate topic.

Thread Information