Widgets Magazine
Page 168 of 217 FirstFirst ... 68118163164165166167168169170171172173 ... LastLast
Results 4,176 to 4,200 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

Default Re: Convention Center

To those saying -1 for skybridge, I am genuinely curious. Can you explain what you feel the problem(s) associated with a skybridge might be? Would 5000-20000 people crossing the street all at once be preferable?

Blog Entries

generally grade separation is bad for street life, but I suspect the convention goers need to not be on the street in the middle of the conference at least...

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    To those saying -1 for skybridge, I am genuinely curious. Can you explain what you feel the problem(s) associated with a skybridge might be? Would 5000-20000 people crossing the street all at once be preferable?
    First, I go to a lot of big conferences and I've yet to see everyone at the conference cross the street at once. But, seriously, I think getting people on the street is a good thing. Sometimes it is too easy to never leave the convention center and see the city. Even just walking outside can cause attendees to look around and see something or place they might want to visit later. I'm just speaking from my experiences and preferences. I understand the appeal of keeping everyone inside the hotel/convention center 24/7, but I've found that to be the problem too for the host city. I've known conference attendees who never left the hotel/convention center over a 4-5 day stay.

I'd say people who don't leave Hotel/Convention center for 4-5 days would still just cross the street and never venture beyond those two buildings anyway. SKybridge or not. For this purpose I don't really mind a skybridge.

I get the rap against skybridges in the core between office towers which can kill street life below, but here, it's a convention center on one side, and a hotel on the other, which likely the only street life it will have is food/bev attached to it that hotel goers are going to use anyway. I get both sides though.

Blog Entries

Glad to see the excitement planned for our city to move forward on items like parking & some kind of connection from the Omni conference hotel to the convention center.

Bullbear bring up a good observation; ...people who don't leave Hotel/Convention center for 4-5 days would still just cross the street and never venture beyond those two buildings anyway.

Although it would be nice for convention attendees to get in some sight seeing in the core, our streetcar will provide a nice 5 mile cruise for those who take advantage. Convention goers will get information on what to see in the core: Midtown, Automobile Alley & Bricktown Entertainment Districts.

You'll see a much improved Oklahoma City come 2020.

7. Default Re: Convention Center

The sky bridge in this case is required to get caterings back and forth and to facilitate moving materials to and from an HQ hotel to a convention center during events. A physical connection such as this one is pretty much a requirement here.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The sky bridge in this case is required to get caterings back and forth and to facilitate moving materials to and from an HQ hotel to a convention center during events. A physical connection such as this one is pretty much a requirement here.
    knowledge...this guy has it when it comes to this topic

Its basically the same kind of setup the Renaissance has with the current convention center. The two buildings services are closely integrated and are essentially one building. Plus, it would be super annoying for a convention guest to have to cross the street in 30 degree weather. Would they wear a heavy coat for the short time it takes to cross the street? and if they did that they would be hot the whole time inside the convention. These details are silly to some, but are critical issues to others.

Blog Entries

Dogma shouldn't override common sense. This is not a new urbanist issue. It is a practical issue with no real downside.

No problem with the skybridge in this scenario.

Blog Entries

Any news or updates on the convention center development?

I believe the last things we're waiting on are the OGE station moving, final decision on skybridge/walkway, and construction bids. Once all those are done they should be breaking ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The city-paid consultants have made a recommendation to add a roundabout to Robinson to aid in traffic flow and drop-off.

Also, they presented several options for a skybridge that would connect the center with the proposed Omni hotel; an added expense of anywhere from $1 to $3 million. There is also the possibility of connecting the two via a covered walkway at ground level.

OKC seeks roundabout solution for convention center traffic

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record July 28, 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY – City Hall is addressing traffic management at the new MAPS 3 convention center in a roundabout way.

The decision is one of necessity – a direct approach is doomed to failure, project manager David Todd said.

“People would be making U-turns in the street, and that’s not safe at all,” Todd said. “And anything bigger than a midsize passenger car would have a hard time making a turn at all, based on projections of queuing. … You’d have to be a local and have visited many times to navigate the area.”

Todd was speaking to the proposal of realigning streets at Robinson Avenue and SW Seventh Street to form a circle rather than a 90-degree intersection. Maintaining the traditional grid layout that close to Interstate 40 will make it nearly impossible for drivers to drop off or pick up visitors without causing traffic snarls, he said.

City Councilman David Greenwell recently raised constituents’ concerns about traffic circles or roundabouts, and he questioned whether it was the best plan for what promises to be a popular tourist area. He asked city staff to look closely at merging lane space and the impact of the circle’s diameter.

Farther west on I-40, Jack Bell, City Hall chief of staff in Conway, Arkansas, said size isn’t really a factor. In all cases, small and large, one lane or several, traffic flows smoother and with fewer accidents.

Bell said traffic circles are used near college campuses and at state highways in Conway. And because traffic circles are merger-oriented, they save on the city’s budget for light installation and repairs, he said. Conway is about to build its 20th traffic circle within the city’s 46 square miles, raising its per capita rate to one circle per 3,300 people.

Studies by the Federal Highway Administration back up Bell’s experience. The FHA found that roundabouts can increase traffic capacity by about 40 percent compared with traditional intersections by reducing idling and stops.

Although the terms are often interchanged, a modern roundabout in the U.S. typically refers to a counterclockwise circle around a center island without traffic signals or stop signs. Traffic circles tend to be larger and might incorporate signs and signals. Two of the most well-known examples are Dupont Circle in Washington, D.C., and Arc de Triomphe in Paris.

Emily White, manager at McNellie’s Pub in the Midtown district, said she’s never seen an accident at the roundabout just south of the restaurant at NW 10th Street. It used to be one of the most accident-prone intersections, which is exactly why City Hall rebuilt it a decade ago.

Todd said the MAPS 3 advisory group isn’t ready yet to commit to a traffic alignment at the convention center, but there doesn’t seem to be a better option.

“It’s really just a concept right now that we put out for consideration. The subcommittee told us, ‘You’ve got to solve this,’” Todd said.

In this photo I took of the coop, you can see the new OG&E substation taking shape in the lower left.

Not sure when they will make the full move from the station on convention center site.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    In this photo I took of the coop, you can see the new OG&E substation taking shape in the lower left.

Not sure when they will make the full move from the station on convention center site.

Can't believe we gave away riverfront property for an electrical substation. I realize there's a junk yard next door... but eventually that will be prime real estate. I guess we can pay to move it again in 15 years.

What's more stunning to me in that picture is the huge tract of land set to be developed from the CoOp, to the convention center site, to the park, west through what will hopefully be Strawberry Fields. How many acres is that totaled out?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    What's more stunning to me in that picture is the huge tract of land set to be developed from the CoOp, to the convention center site, to the park, west through what will hopefully be Strawberry Fields. How many acres is that totaled out?
    Approximately 275 acres.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Can't believe we gave away riverfront property for an electrical substation. I realize there's a junk yard next door... but eventually that will be prime real estate. I guess we can pay to move it again in 15 years.
    The problem is that Tract has almost no access and really no means for getting additional access.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Mainly because the city could do it for 'free'; i.e. not having to find more money to go acquire property rather than just give this away and not charge the convention center project.

Yet another hidden cost of the convention center.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    The problem is that Tract has almost no access and really no means for getting additional access.
    This specific problem is going to be a hard reality for the Coop site. People worried about Residential on that land need not worry, because there are about 15 acres (40% of the space) of that property that are going to be horrendous for retail.

23. Default Re: Convention Center

Phew. Glad to see Union Station still standing in the background. These days you never know!

Guessing this might have something to do with the ongoing move of the substation from the Convention Center site to the OK River site?

"I-40 closes at Shields Blvd. intermittently for Saturday, Sunday

All lanes of east and westbound I-40 will be closed intermittently between Shields Blvd. and Walker Ave. for 20 min intervals between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday for an OG&E project. Drivers should avoid the area and locate an alternate route. For more information contact OG&E at 405-553-3000."

Quote Originally Posted by riflesforwatie View Post
    Guessing this might have something to do with the ongoing move of the substation from the Convention Center site to the OK River site?

"I-40 closes at Shields Blvd. intermittently for Saturday, Sunday

All lanes of east and westbound I-40 will be closed intermittently between Shields Blvd. and Walker Ave. for 20 min intervals between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday for an OG&E project. Drivers should avoid the area and locate an alternate route. For more information contact OG&E at 405-553-3000."
    Yep.

Thread Information