Widgets Magazine
Page 162 of 217 FirstFirst ... 62112157158159160161162163164165166167212 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

1. Default Re: Convention Center

Interesting, and good to know.

Have you seen the books, or is this just what has been said by management or colleagues? I'd also be interested to see if there was any change in occupancy after the subsidized John Q. Hammons hotel was built.

Also what is the NCED, is that subsidized? Obviously the Postal Service is a unique arrangement. For other events, is the Marriott able to offer discounts and incentives, and how are those funded? I suspect that is the case since you mentioned the good sales team, which is going to need some resources to work with.

That's the issue with these CC hotels. It's rare for them to actually have consistently bad occupancy bc cities often use the CVB or a public authority (often named "Industrial and Convention Development Authority" or something like that) to actually pay for deep discounts and huge incentives to lure these conferences.

Then out the other side of the mouth they trumpet the economic development spin-off of conventions, ignoring the surprisingly significant grand total for the continuous pay to play. I'm not at all against the CC, CC hotel, and OKC should pay to play, but it is what it is. We should be smart about it, and that's why hotels are often not over 800 rooms max, which is even pushing it.

Default Re: Convention Center

Mike Carrier sounds like a very smart man. I agree with every word he wrote.

However, there is a problem with the name Oklahoma City Convention Center, and that problem coincides with his point of confusion. While I really doubt anyone would really be dumb enough to show up at OCCC expecting a huge convention, I also wouldn't expect anyone to be dumb enough to show up at the State Fair Park looking for a location in Tulsa, something that apparently does happen.

That said, I still think that's the direction we should go. I know the fad is to take a kickback from some company to slap their name on it, but do we want to advertise the city, or a dying (but not fast enough, dammit) cable company, whose only tie to the city is a call center? And that can backfire and quickly become a joke. Ford Arena, anyone?

Depending on how much the convention center ends up costing, I easily seeing city leaders wanting to get the easy money from corporate sponsorship. If that happens maybe we can get a global company like GE to sponsor since they now have a presence in the city.

Not sure I see a reason to not seek naming rights. Didn't seem to confuse folks on the arena downtown under the various brands over time. And the money, it ain't exactly chicken feed.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Not sure I see a reason to not seek naming rights. Didn't seem to confuse folks on the arena downtown under the various brands over time. And the money, it ain't exactly chicken feed.
    100% agree. We live in a world where companies are willing to pay millions just so something has their name on the side, why wouldn't we take do this. It's common practice and yes sometimes it takes a year or so to stop calling it the Ford Center, but oh well. My only complaint with it's current name is it's just a little too long. Should have just been Chesapeake Arena.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Do you disagree with the reason listed in the article? I agree if it is 'free money' then why not, but I thought the article made some really good points. I can tell you without looking it up that the Orlando Convention Center is in Orlando (example only, don't know if there is one in Orlando, don't care) but can you tell me off the top of your head where the Duff Beer/Buzz Cola/Moe's Tavern/Stupid Flanders Arena is (other than Springfield, obviously)?

As for causing confusion, apparently it did according to the article linked.

8. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Do you disagree with the reason listed in the article? I agree if it is 'free money' then why not, but I thought the article made some really good points. I can tell you without looking it up that the Orlando Convention Center is in Orlando (example only, don't know if there is one in Orlando, don't care) but can you tell me off the top of your head where the Duff Beer/Buzz Cola/Moe's Tavern/Stupid Flanders Arena is (other than Springfield, obviously)?

As for causing confusion, apparently it did according to the article linked.
    People are going to the convention center because of the city, not the name. It's not "free money" either... the sponsoring company is paying good marketing money to have their name associated with the center. I don't think there's any reason the city would not have a corp. sponsorship.

9. Default Re: Convention Center

I'm fine with the OKC Convention Center name; and I would expect individual spaces (grand ballroom, atrium, meeting rooms a, b, c, etc) to be where the corporate/philanthropic naming rights come into play.

10. Default Re: Convention Center

Deleted.

Please find a more respectful way to express your point of view.

~ Pete

We could always go the route of the Rose Bowl and call it the Oklahoma City Convention Center presented by Boeing.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    We could always go the route of the Rose Bowl and call it the Oklahoma City Convention Center presented by Boeing.
    Like, plus one, upvote, heart, whatever. This checks both boxes, brands OKC AND gets the free money from the corporate sucker. I also like the sub-branding idea. Parking is brought to you by X, the Lobby is brought to you by Y, the concessions are brought to you by Z, etc. Make it rain!

Blog Entries

If the corporate money is a difference maker ($1 - $3 million annual naming rights range) say something like the GE - Hertz -or the ConocoPhillips Oklahoma City Convention Center let's take it and run. Keep the Oklahoma City full brand name attached to the name of the convention center.

The naming rights money could go back into future improvement of the convention center.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    If the corporate money is a difference maker ($1 - $3 million annual naming rights range) say something like the GE - Hertz -or the ConocoPhillips Oklahoma City Convention Center let's take it and run. Keep the Oklahoma City full brand name attached to the name of the convention center.

The naming rights money could go back into future improvement of the convention center.
    (Bolding added by me)

Another round of likes/upvotes/etc. Include the city in the name. In a timely coincidence, I was watching the parades this morning, and since I was looking, I noticed the branding, but I wasn't hit over the head with it. The announcers said something like "ConstructCo is proud to present the BFE Marching Band", and/or the banner on screen had, unobtrusively to the left, the ConstructCo logo, keeping the focus on the BFE Marching Band. The announcers then spent the 2-3 minutes talking up the band, not ConstructCo.

It is indeed possible.

Personally, I'm strongly opposed to simply naming the convention center after the name of the city and calling it a done deal. It feels like we're quickly becoming oversaturated with projects in that area being generically named "Oklahoma City <whatever>". In my opinion, simply naming it after the city lends no uniqueness or character to the project. I'm more in favor of naming the convention center after some prominent civic leader, in much the same way that the new Maps 3 Expo Center was named the Bennett Event Center.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with combining the two ideas - for instance, San Jose's convention center is formally named San Jose McEnery Convention Center, though many locals simply refer to it as the McEnery Convention Center. I would not be opposed to something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    It feels like we're quickly becoming oversaturated with projects in that area being generically named "Oklahoma City <whatever>".
    While I agree with this because of renaming the Canadian river as the Oklahoma river and having the Oklahoma Blvd, I think the article made some good points for naming the convention center after the city. What should've happened is to have left the Canadian river the same, name the boulevard something other than Oklahoma and then name the convention center after the city.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    While I agree with this because of renaming the Canadian river as the Oklahoma river and having the Oklahoma Blvd, I think the article made some good points for naming the convention center after the city. What should've happened is to have left the Canadian river the same, name the boulevard something other than Oklahoma and then name the convention center after the city.
    This.

Why not call it the MAPS 3 Convention Center?

It would be a good way to get convention-goers to ask "what is MAPS 3?" and then you can tell them all the investment we've done in our city.

19. Default Re: Convention Center

I like 'Oklahoma City Convention Center'.

But another choice would be to follow Seattle's lead and call ours 'Oklahoma Convention Center' (Seattle's is called 'Washington State Convention Center').
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I like 'Oklahoma City Convention Center'.

But another choice would be to follow Seattle's lead and call ours 'Oklahoma Convention Center' (Seattle's is called 'Washington State Convention Center').
    My problem with Oklahoma city Convention Center ( aside from being pretty generic in a sea of Oklahoma City named things ) is the abbreviation comes down to OKCCC which then confuses with Oklahoma City Community College. but at a loss as to a good name that identifies correctly without being corny.

Blog Entries

Red Earth Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    I like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    ....this refers to the number of republicans in the state, right? ;-)

MAPS 3 overage could go toward public garage

By: Brian Brus The Journal Record December 13, 2016

OKLAHOMA CITY – Cautious projections and cost savings on MAPS 3 projects are expected to leave nearly $39 million that hasn’t yet been earmarked, City Manager Jim Couch told City Council members Tuesday.

Couch also suggested how the money could be spent and still serve the goal of the $777 million Metropolitan Area Projects temporary penny sales tax program: build a parking garage near the new MAPS 3 convention center.

“Overall, we’re in good shape,” Couch said, adding that the overage also takes into consideration the recent economic downturn. “It’s not just for the convention center. … It’s for the park, it’s for the modern streetcar, it’s for the potential convention center hotel, and it would be for the Chesapeake Arena.”

Couch said the parking garage would fall under the oversight of COTPA, the Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking Authority, and they would need to commit only $10 million to help the project.

Additionally, the 77-acre central park also in the works under MAPS 3 is running into increased costs for land acquisition and remediation, he said, so $9 million could help there as well.

Other projects include a fifth senior wellness center – the original MAPS 3 project list planned only four – at a cost of $9 million to $12 million, about $3.5 million in sidewalks throughout the city and a like amount for new trails. The Riversport Rapids facility on the shore of the Oklahoma River may need more funds also, Couch said.

Councilman Ed Shadid questioned the good sense of investing in another parking garage when it appears that autonomously driven vehicles will soon fill the streets. When Councilwoman Meg Salyer pointed out that they’ll still need to be kept somewhere, Shadid said the cars will be shared by several people, further reducing the need for more parking spaces.

The issue will likely be submitted at a regular council meeting for discussion and action, a process that takes several weeks and allows for public input.

So, after cutting back on sidewalks, the whitewater facility and other projects, suddenly we have $39 million extra just as there is a request for a new convention center parking garage that was at first rejected by the committee.

Thread Information