Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    The current entrance to OKANA is less than 500 yards to the I-40 on/off ramp. It's also a 3 min drive from the current entrance to the on/off ramp for I-35 at SE 15th. Why on earth would there need to be a new exit built from I-35 for this property?
    I'm sure the Chickasaws are arguing that the east side of the project will be huge and very busy and to fully develop the property on the west side, they don't want to bring all traffic through the one entrance on Eastern.

And clearly, the state is listening because this is already a discussion, according to a source from the OKC Chamber. I strongly suspect the Chickasws will make the development of the west parcel contingent on getting this new ingress/egress.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm sure the Chickasaws are arguing that the east side of the project will be huge and very busy and to fully develop the property on the west side, they don't want to bring all traffic through the one entrance on Eastern.

And clearly, the state is listening because this is already a discussion. I strongly suspect they will make the development of the west parcel contingent on getting this new ingress/egress.
    I thought they were originally going to make an outlet on the west side that went south to 15th? That would give two routes to access the property without having a dedicated exit to this site. It just seems completely unnecessary and a waste of land/money.

3. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Not a technicality. Projects owned by the tribe on tribal land don't pay property tax to the tribe, that would be dumb. They want a TIFF on the property taxes on land they own in Oklahoma City.
    swake, you proved my point (maybe unintentionally though). They didn't need government $$ to build on tribal lands yet came out with fantastic product. I'm not saying they don't need TIF to build in the city, but it is almost as if the city is paying half of the cost - which isn't fair for non-tribal entities who might want to also build in OKC. I think the cap should be at 10 or 15% irregardless, let alone a developer that has an entire soverign (tribal) GOVERNMENT on its side (or using your theory - they ARE the soverign tribal government).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

4. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Quote Originally Posted by golden_gatorcane View Post
    Any talk going around to expand the street car to this area? While I want to see stadium and aquarium become realities, the FAM/OKANA area seems just a bit too far for walkability from downtown (Producers has that one advantage, although getting the land for stadium/aquarium there sounds problematic compared to a willing Chickasaw Nation). Wouldn't want to see this FAM/OKANA area build up and have to become exclusively car-centric for access with massive parking lots.
    .. and additional, dedicated freeway exits (that many on here are clamoring for). ... Extending the streetcar and using (but upgrading) the existing grid is the way to go, with carefully planned, integrated parking vs. lots and seas of parking.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Oklahoma will have to begin building those interchanges that you see in places like Chicago and Dallas-Fort Worth building stack interchanges and round abouts. There is plenty of money in Biden's $1 Trillion Infrastructure bill (Passed November, 2021) to get those funds.

Has nothing to do with Oklahoma's two U.S. Senators and five House of Representatives voting against the bill. Oklahoma taxpayers deserve those funds directed to impact our state, we've paid into the system.:

CNBC - https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/15/bide...-into-law.html

The legislation will put $110 billion into roads, bridges and other major projects. It will invest $66 billion in freight and passenger rail, including potential upgrades to Amtrak. It will direct $39 billion into public transit systems.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    I thought they were originally going to make an outlet on the west side that went south to 15th? That would give two routes to access the property without having a dedicated exit to this site. It just seems completely unnecessary and a waste of land/money.
    Agreed.

I don't like the idea that the Chickasaws are already making things contingent on them getting what they want.

7. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Agreed.

I don't like the idea that the Chickasaws are already making things contingent on them getting what they want.
    What demands have they made?

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    What demands have they made?
    I didn't say anything about demands. You must have made an error.

9. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

I didn't say anything about demands. You must have made an error.
    Yeah, I must've misunderstood "making things contingent on them getting what they want".
    So what do they want and what are they making contingent?

Blog Entries

Adding a 404 room hotel resort to the mix of hotels in our city will make it possible for Oklahoma City to bid on more events. Especially those in Medical and Clinical Research. Sure it's not downtown, however it's closer to the 195 room Embassy Suites Hotel at the OU Health Science Center Complex. That puts almost 600 quality rooms in that area.

Blog Entries

They want a gondola from Okana to each downtown district plus the innovation district

:-P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    They want a gondola from Okana to each downtown district plus the innovation district

:-P
    Interesting--is they a link to this story.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Interesting--is they a link to this story.
    I think Shawn was being facetious.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Yeah, I must've misunderstood "making things contingent on them getting what they want".
    So what do they want and what are they making contingent?
    Lol. Does seem the definition of “demands”.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    I think Shawn was being facetious.
    Was hoping to get some kind of response from him since he posted that line. Something like a gondola would IMO take away from having the Riverboat Cruises.

Blog Entries

The tongue in cheek face in that post says it all.

Was sorta poking fun at the guy proposing a downtown gondola at the 2014 OKC Boulevard public meeting...

Blog Entries

This enormous $102.1 million in TIF funds (Final approval pending OKCED & OKC City Council) is an investment that will help the Chickasaw Nation accelerate their plans (Phases) on that 100 acre development,

Four important factors with this development:

1. Adds a 404 room hotel resort in an undeveloped area that will enhance the FAM museum. Will benefit visitors of the WCWS who stay at the
    resort much like the tourism associated with the Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum.

2. Potential access to the area with more infill development near the OKANA Resort & FAM Museum with more road infrastructure. More
    covered parking garage structures.

3. Potential to add an Aquarium and a Multipurpose Stadium to the area all south of the Oklahoma River. More sit down eating
    establishments and some fast food restaurants in the area.

4. The infrastructure that will be needed can be supported by funds in the Biden Infrastructure bill. Look for Residential developments to
    explode in this area.

The $342 million OKANA Resort & Water Park Development will have a comparable impact that MAPS 1 had on Oklahoma City in the 1990s.

Wow! They've certainly been working on the land clearing. I didn't even realize they were doing that.

Blog Entries

Will be exciting watching this project come together. Hope the TIF for this development is approved,

21. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Agreed.

That's life, in business, politics and love. LOL

Look, the Chickasaw's saved that museum. They pump millions into the Oklahoma economy with their enterprises and seem thoroughly of quality for the city and state. These are investments in the future because if successful, the Chickasaw's will just reinvest back into the state.

23. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

I guess step one is to move the road. Seems awfully small for the amount of things that are going to be serviced by it but maybe it's just bad perspective from the rendering?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I guess step one is to move the road. Seems awfully small for the amount of things that are going to be serviced by it but maybe it's just bad perspective from the rendering?
    What are you talking about?

Blog Entries

Would love to see a road parallel the railroad track under I35and another iconic bridge over the river to connect to the Boathouse district.

Maybe that or build a sky-monorail over I-35 and across the river from it to the Boathouse District and then over 1-40 to Bricktown. Great skyline views from above the roads and a fun trip by itself. Connect all the entertainment areas and put a resort hotel and hostel in the Boathouse area and it creates a huge and wonderful entertainment destination area...... especially if they do a really good aquarium at the OKANA. The streetcar takes over from there to spread people out to the park, midtown and downtown and connects closely by the train station. That might help draw from DFW and Wichita areas.

Helps OKANA, Boathouse area, Bricktown, the trails, downtown, etc. And, if they happen to put the new stadium in the old cotton mill site, it could have a stop there too. Skyrail, riverboats, railroad, walking biking trails, streetcar, roads. Connectivity!

With a skyrail, from a first impression standpoint, travelers through OKC on both I-40 and I-35 would see a totally modern and cool city infrastructure and maybe look at OKC altogether differently. Might even divert their eyes from the labyrinth of highways jamming up the central city.

Thread Information