Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Had reason to be in Noble on Saturday. Decided to meet up with someone at Big Daddy's Smokehouse on Hwy 77 on the south side of town.
    Ordered up the three meat combo choosing slices of brisket, pork loin and turkey, with potato salad and baked beans. It was some dang tasty eating, and I can see me going back. Tasted the sauce to see what it was like, and it was ok, but it was not needed in an otherwise very good meal.

It did cross my mind as I finished my meal I should seriously consider seeking out more McClain business, if only to have reason to be on 77 more often.

Kevin,
    I took my London friend to the Rose Rock museum and while we were there, we had lunch at Big Daddy's (I don't really remember the name, but it's the only barbecue place in town) and we really enjoyed it. And of course, if you want a really good chicken fried steak, just North on Main is Kendall's.
    C. T.

Urbanized,
    Your right about the location, but didn't they get a lot of traffic from the legislature? They were always busy when I went there. I would lean toward management problems, and maybe the lack of interest by the surviving family. I know that Portland Avenue Barbecue closed almost as soon as the Owner(s) retired/died. The lady that prepared the meat for your plate died of cancer. Their daughter and son-in-law ran it for a little while and it was fine, they just didn't seem to want the store so it closed.
    C. T.

Is there a reason that there are no restaurants in Oklahoma that serves beef ribs? Ever since traveling to KC, I find pork ribs to be hugely underwhelming now. Is it cost, geography, both or none? I'd really like to know and figure this is the best place to find out. Thanks!

5. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    Is there a reason that there are no restaurants in Oklahoma that serves beef ribs? Ever since traveling to KC, I find pork ribs to be hugely underwhelming now. Is it cost, geography, both or none? I'd really like to know and figure this is the best place to find out. Thanks!
    It's cost.... Most places that serve beef ribs break even or lose money on them.

They take up a lot of space on a smoker for only 4 servings when you can serve a lot more from a brisket or a pork butt taking up the same or less amount of space.

And there actually is one place I know of that serves them in Oklahoma.... Meer's Store & Restaurant in Meer's Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    It's cost.... Most places that serve beef ribs break even or lose money on them.

They take up a lot of space on a smoker for only 4 servings when you can serve a lot more from a brisket or a pork butt taking up the same or less amount of space.

And there actually is one place I know of that serves them in Oklahoma.... Meer's Store & Restaurant in Meer's Oklahoma
    I have dreamed of a food truck that serves beef ribs. Maybe I'll do it some day when I retire lol.

There are only a few that offer them in Central Texas and most places only have them occasionally as a special. The only place that I know of that has them on the menu all the time is The County Line, there are still two of them in Austin.

I had beef ribs at a place in Dallas, but it was fancy, not just a smokehouse. I'll have to try Meers when info down that way next time. I know they're resource-intensive, but they're soooooooop good.

9. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Man, I'm totally down with a Meers burger, but I not sure how I would feel about eating BBQ there.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Man, I'm totally down with a Meers burger, but I not sure how I would feel about eating BBQ there.
    The brisket there isn't bad, or I should say it didn't use to be anyway. I haven't gone over to Meers in a while. Went more often back when I volunteered at a Scout camp a bit north of there. Never had a bad meal there.

11. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I was disappointed in the Meers Burger but I'm a fan of Nic's and those two burgers are on completely opposite ends of the burger spectrum.... Kind of wish I had tried the Q.

12. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I like all types of burgers. I don't discriminate. That said, a Meers burger is best enjoyed as the midway point of a long motorcycle ride. I don't think I'd go out of my way to eat there if it was in OKC.

13. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

I was disappointed in the Meers Burger but I'm a fan of Nic's and those two burgers are on completely opposite ends of the burger spectrum.... Kind of wish I had tried the Q.
    For me, it's about context. A meersburger, RC cola, and peach cobbler is an unbeatable way to end (and offset, lol) a long day of exploring the refuge.

14. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

A Meer's Burger and Chicken at Eischen's are the same category for me -- Only 'really good' in context of the entire experience. Put either one in a strip mall that requires the food to stand on its own and its just barely 'okay.'

That said, I'll gladly pass on the burger the next time I'm in Meers and instead seek out the beef ribs.

Funny that San Diego doesn't have the greatest bbq, but they have beef ribs at most of the bbq restaurants. Harder to find pork ribs, unless you want baby backs.

Little off topic but I am going to try some beef ribs this weekend for the first time. Haven't decided whether to do them on Hastybake or throw in the cookshack with the brisket I am doing. Anything different to watch for with beef versus pork ribs? Haven't unwrapped them yet so not sure if there is a silver membrane to be removed like pork ribs.

17. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

There is a membrane but I really consider membrane removal a personal choice. I like a nice piece of crispy membrane myself. So I rarely remove it from either beef or pork ribs.

Are you cooking short or back ribs?

There is a membrane but I really consider membrane removal a personal choice. I like a nice piece of crispy membrane myself. So I rarely remove it from either beef or pork ribs.

Are you cooking short or back ribs?
    They are back and leaning towards Hastybake versus the cookshack. Do they tend to be tougher than pork? If so, may do in cookshack at lower temp and finish on the grill.

19. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    They are back and leaning towards Hastybake versus the cookshack. Do they tend to be tougher than pork? If so, may do in cookshack at lower temp and finish on the grill.
    I would use the Hasty but I like the flavor that charcoal as a fuel source gives the meat.

Here are a couple of links to blogs about my beef rib cooks. You might be able to gather a little info there.

Oklahoma BBQ Eaters Anonymous: I MAY BE FULL OF BOLOGNA... AND BEEF RIBS!!!
    Oklahoma BBQ Eaters Anonymous: FRED FLINTSTONE WOULD LOVE THESE RIBS

I would use the Hasty but I like the flavor that charcoal as a fuel source gives the meat.

Here are a couple of links to blogs about my beef rib cooks. You might be able to gather a little info there.

Oklahoma BBQ Eaters Anonymous: I MAY BE FULL OF BOLOGNA... AND BEEF RIBS!!!
    Oklahoma BBQ Eaters Anonymous: FRED FLINTSTONE WOULD LOVE THESE RIBS
    Thanks...good stuff. The Bologna looked amazing I usually score my with an x pattern. Great tip on box blade. With beef, I am a big fan of using the Hasty charcoal with a couple handfuls of soaked Jack Daniels wood chips.

For the Mr. Spriggs fans, I drove to a small shopping strip to visit another business and it was out of business, but a van was parked there painted with Mr. Spriggs ads and there was an electrician that told me he was doing some work for Mr. Spriggs Barbecue in the space I was originally wanting to visit. It's at 700 North Air Depot. It's a relatively new (last five+ years or so) store, and they are just getting started, so no idea when they will be doing business. Just thought I would pass it on.
    C. T.

22. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    It's at 700 North Air Depot. It's a relatively new (last five+ years or so) store, and they are just getting started, so no idea when they will be doing business. Just thought I would pass it on.
    C. T.
    You sure that's not 700 South Air Depot?

700 North is residential but 700 South is where Apple Medical was located. The Van has been parked there for several months now so they are moving really slow but glad to hear they are still moving and not totally dead in the water.

You sure that's not 700 South Air Depot?

700 North is residential but 700 South is where Apple Medical was located. The Van has been parked there for several months now so they are moving really slow but glad to hear they are still moving and not totally dead in the water.
    BBQEA,
    Oops, I was going to Apple Medical and they are gone. Yes, 700 South Air Depot. I am not a Mid/Del person, and even though I should know better, I am turned around when I am there. Darn shame too, since I am moving to Midwest City in the next few months.
    C. T.

24. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Well some of the best BBQ in the OKC Metro is about to be coming off this R&O Fat Girl.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1384220_702298616531984_5207370706404892089_n.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	9360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10426694_702298489865330_4007505706745144810_n.jpg 
Views:	632 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	9361

Headed down to Granbury, TX to pick it up Saturday.

Unfortunately for the majority of the OKC Metro.... The City of Moore won't allow me to sell meat out of my back yard.... Sorry... You'll have to take it up with the city.

Do you deliver!..lol I need some good BBQ

Thread Information