Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Just received this via email:

To whom it may concern:

Please accept this note in response to all news articles and/or requests for comment regarding the Canton Classen Curve Apartment fire lawsuit that was filed by my firm on July 12, 2023.

As you are aware, the lawsuit was filed on July 12, 2023. On July 17, 2023, it was brought to our attention, by Red Dirt Electric, LLC’s attorney, that the Petition inadvertently listed an incorrect Defendant, Red Dirt Electric, LLC. Immediate action was taken to remedy that mistake. A Dismissal Without Prejudice was filed as to Red Dirt Electric, LLC on July 18, 2023, along with an Amended Petition naming the correct party, Red Dirt Construction, LLC.

Additionally, on August 2, 2023, a partner at our firm, Robert Todd Goolsby, met with Spencer and Maegan Struck, owners of Red Dirt Electric, LLC, and their attorney, to personally apologize for the mistake and any problems and or inconvenience it may have caused. Apparently, that personal apology was insufficient to end this matter. As a result, we are offering this as our written statement to once again apologize for the error and for any inconvenience it may have caused.

Goolsby | Proctor

At this point did it really hurt Red Dirt Electric or are they just trying to milk sympathy business?

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    At this point did it really hurt Red Dirt Electric or are they just trying to milk sympathy business?
    Legal expenses hurt.

If a major lawsuit publicly and wrongly blamed your life's business for a mid 8 figure fire, l think you'd be pretty livid.

Yes, it hurt without question. The media coverage alone has massive potential for damage to the business's name. Stories will float around with their name on it in perpetuity. The reason the law firm did not apologize is because they know they could be on the hook for compensatory damages.

Anyone googling that company's name will see news articles and comments about how they were sued. No dustups will prevent it.

Attorney's are paid handsomely for their detail skills. Someone failed to do that in this instance and a small business has been injured (legal fees) and should be held accountable. Firms also carry legal liability insurance when they do make errors. Surely there is a non-disclosed settlement in process?

It probably ruined their professional lives and will certainly result in them having to rebuild under a new legal structure, so yeah.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    It probably ruined their professional lives and will certainly result in them having to rebuild under a new legal structure, so yeah.
    I seriously doubt they had or will have to restructure. I also doubt it ruined their professional lives. In the end, they weren't accused of anything as the situation has been clarified. Doesn't mean they didn't suffer any expenses or temporary damage, but none that can't be easily rectified. In fact, I suspect a whole lot more people know about them than did before. And, are probably more sympathetic towards them for what happened and may even be more likely to use them.

Real bottom line is that you and I are both speculating only as neither of us know exactly what is going on with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I seriously doubt they had or will have to restructure. I also doubt it ruined their professional lives. In the end, they weren't accused of anything as the situation has been clarified. Doesn't mean they didn't suffer any expenses or temporary damage, but none that can't be easily rectified. In fact, I suspect a whole lot more people know about them than did before. And, are probably more sympathetic towards them for what happened and may even be more likely to use them.

Real bottom line is that you and I are both speculating only as neither of us know exactly what is going on with them.
    Wrong parties get named in lawsuits --all of the time-- and it happens in a lot of complex civil cases. In most cases, plaintiff's lawyers will sue anyone who could possibly be liable and then trim down defendants as discovery progresses and they figure out where there may be viable theories of recovery. In this case, someone was told that a contractor named Red Dirt needed to be sued. Most likley, a business entity search was done at the Secretary of State's website and Red Dirt Electric came up on page one along with their service agent and that's the name that got stuck on the Petition.

It's an easy mistake to make when you're an attorney having to draft a Petition and you've never met or had anything to do with any of the parties involved. It looks like what needed to happen was what happened and the Petition got amended and the Electric Co was dismissed. There may or may not be attorneys fees involved on their part. It would have likely been sufficient for them to call the Plaintiff's attorneys and ask that they take a second look as their company had nothing to do with that project. It could have been as simple as that. No need to jump to conclusions here.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Wrong parties get named in lawsuits --all of the time-- and it happens in a lot of complex civil cases. In most cases, plaintiff's lawyers will sue anyone who could possibly be liable and then trim down defendants as discovery progresses and they figure out where there may be viable theories of recovery. In this case, someone was told that a contractor named Red Dirt needed to be sued. Most likley, a business entity search was done at the Secretary of State's website and Red Dirt Electric came up on page one along with their service agent and that's the name that got stuck on the Petition.

It's an easy mistake to make when you're an attorney having to draft a Petition and you've never met or had anything to do with any of the parties involved. It looks like what needed to happen was what happened and the Petition got amended and the Electric Co was dismissed. There may or may not be attorneys fees involved on their part. It would have likely been sufficient for them to call the Plaintiff's attorneys and ask that they take a second look as their company had nothing to do with that project. It could have been as simple as that. No need to jump to conclusions here.
    Yes. But the vast majority of cases don't draw media scrutiny. Or scrutiny anywhere near the level of this lawsuit, which was a lead story in local media that ran for more than one day.

I would venture the exposure -- especially now they are being portrayed as being wronged by big law firms -- has only helped their business, and maybe by a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I would venture the exposure -- especially now they are being portrayed as being wronged by big law firms -- has only helped their business, and maybe by a lot.
    And good for them. The largest law firm in Oklahoma City, out of pure, rank incompetence chooses to sue a 3 person company that is completely innocent. I feel zero sympathy for the law firm and revel in their discomfort. And I am not implying that Pete is taking the law firm side, or feeling sorry for them.

13. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

The company that insures Oklahoma Gas & Electric is not going to be too happy to pay out this claim. Even if it gets settled out of court, the payout will be tens of millions of dollars.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...s/71067521007/

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The company that insures Oklahoma Gas & Electric is not going to be too happy to pay out this claim. Even if it gets settled out of court, the payout will be tens of millions of dollars.

Ope watch out, I'm sure our electric bills will go up again to cover the extra expense, like with the winter storm

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

Probably non union electricians.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    Ope watch out, I'm sure our electric bills will go up again to cover the extra expense, like with the winter storm
    Funny you should post this today. Just earlier today I received a notice that my averaged bill with OGE is actually going to be reduced about 10% this year because of fuel price reduction.

I hope 2024 brings great news regarding this property! Fingers crossed it'll be residential over retail.

I think residential and retail would both work! To valuable piece of land to sit idle and vacant.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    I think residential and retail would both work! To valuable piece of land to sit idle and vacant.
    Well, with it, unfortunately, tied up in litigation and insurance ,issues, it has no choice but to sit idle.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Well, with it, unfortunately, tied up in litigation and insurance ,issues, it has no choice but to sit idle.
    Time is money! Hopefully, this can settle more quickly. Turtle thumping progress, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Time is money! Hopefully, this can settle more quickly. Turtle thumping progress, lol.
    Nothing quick about an insurance claim especially if there is pending litigation. Unfortunately it could sit empty for years.

In a statement to The Oklahoman, Humphreys Capital and Hines reported the two firms had hoped to begin demolition in March, but faced delays waiting for OG&E to remove transformers and equipment located next to the garage.

Check out this article from The Oklahoman:

Garage, last remnant of Canton Apartments, to be torn down but rebuilding is uncertain

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...n/74156052007/

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    In a statement to The Oklahoman, Humphreys Capital and Hines reported the two firms had hoped to begin demolition in March, but faced delays waiting for OG&E to remove transformers and equipment located next to the garage.

Check out this article from The Oklahoman:

Garage, last remnant of Canton Apartments, to be torn down but rebuilding is uncertain

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...n/74156052007/
    For some reason I thought the garage escaped structural damage. Am I mistaken or are they just tearing it down to get rid of it?

I think current construction and debt costs, even with the higher rents this location would command, make this project hard to pencil without any kind of public assistance.

I thought the same, Jeep. Which should result in it being easier to pencil…

Thread Information