Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Odot

Default Re: Odot

I'm fine with all of these except for connecting I-40 to I-44. There's a lot of folks who moved to Jones (and the surrounding area) to get away from suburbia's sprawl. And I imagine that the new loop will bring a lot of unwelcome development to their doorsteps.

Plus, why not use those funds to widen lanes, install lighting, and make further improvements to our existing infrastructure?

Something like this for SW OKC?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kilpatrick extension.JPG 
Views:	1110 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	11706  

Saw these images on FB that talk about the SW Loop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12065955_10153811713690962_2658509891464251289_n.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	11707

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12187748_10153422802238183_7580192638404593095_n.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	11708

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The $300 million to widen the turnpike between here and Tulsa would have been an excellent start to a improving the rail corridor. If we could get the track straightened out to permit long stretches of 70-80 mph trains, it would be a serious mode of transportation.
    Man I understand it would be a start, but this country really shouldn't invest in outdated forms a transportation when there is things like MagLev or better yet invest in the hyperloop. Do something innovative. It seems we just settle for what we limit ourselves to.

Quote Originally Posted by gurantula35 View Post
    Is there a visual they have for us to look at? if not, can someone make one? having a hard time picturing all this
    They said design and planning work will start immediately with construction starting in the 3rd quarter of this next year which this next year is 2 months away so I imagine we'll have some detailed plans pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Why is the southwest extension 7 miles 190 million???
    That seems pretty par for their spending on a ODOT freeway, around half for the main roadbed. Leaving enough for around three/four interchanges and the junctures. With the one at 152 designed so it could be eventually extended south.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook
    I wonder if the will have airport RD continue straight west where it turns south.
    They will probably keep with the plan to go south of the airport and turn east before hitting the river, eventually meeting up with i35 near flood road.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    ODOT needs to figure out how to pitch in for transit before they build highways to nowhere. This is incredible.
    I'm not advocating for or against this, I just want to point out that this is not an ODOT project. It will be the OTA and funded by bonds which are to be repaid by turnpike receipts.

Since the turnpike projects are not being done by ODOT, I created a new thread - Driving Forward OK - Oklahoma Turnpike Improvements and New Construction

I'm at a loss for words because I am just so dumbfounded by this. I understand but disagree with the SW loop. I don't think there is a shred of justification for the east loop. This is insane.

I am so glad that our hard core fiscally conservative "leadership" has hundreds of millions to blow on highways to nowhere, while we've had a stalled AICC for a decade, let the Capitol crumble up until the point of no return, are losing historic buildings left and right, and have huge unfunded transit needs.

ODOT needs to figure out how to pitch in for transit before they build highways to nowhere. This is incredible.
    Actually ODOT was approached in the late 1990s to study the possibility of getting an eastern outer loop starting south of Norman and extending along the eastern border of OKC but met fierce opposition from the "not in my backyard" crowd. ODOT won't pour money into transit simply because the majority doesn't want it. And obviously there is more than a shred of evidence for an eastern loop since ODOT has attempted a study and that the Turnpike Authority would invest it's own money to build a highway in the corridor. There will always be opposition to new highways by those who dream about mass transit and trains. But Okies like their space and their big vehicles too much to give them up.

11. Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Actually ODOT was approached in the late 1990s to study the possibility of getting an eastern outer loop starting south of Norman and extending along the eastern border of OKC but met fierce opposition from the "not in my backyard" crowd. ODOT won't pour money into transit simply because the majority doesn't want it. And obviously there is more than a shred of evidence for an eastern loop since ODOT has attempted a study and that the Turnpike Authority would invest it's own money to build a highway in the corridor. There will always be opposition to new highways by those who dream about mass transit and trains. But Okies like their space and their big vehicles too much to give them up.
    This is all circular reasoning. The OTA is a related party to ODOT. Almost every other state has a revenue sharing model that supports public transit. It is the largest source of funding for transit in many states. Most states have a majority who don't see themselves benefiting from public transit. Why is Oklahoma unique? That's half-assed and regressive work from ODOT, and I don't understand why the City of OKC isn't more publicly dismayed over what a disservice they do OKC. It's a joke really.

The turnpike should be generating enough revenue to cover better maintenance than there currently is. And no more if it isn't going to be leveraged to support other state initiatives. I don't get why these fiscal conservatives don't include ODOT as that third governmental agency they'd abolish. I'm sure we could do transportation block grants to MPOs and cities themselves to do what ODOT should be doing.

A competent state DOT would be great, but given the consistent dastardly moves from ODOT, we just shouldn't work with them. This is what they do and will always try to do, whether its Ridley, McCabe, or someone worse and more incompetent.

The turnpike should be generating enough revenue to cover better maintenance than there currently is.
    What are the problems with turnpike maintenance? I don't think I've heard anything about problems in that area.

This is all circular reasoning. The OTA is a related party to ODOT. Almost every other state has a revenue sharing model that supports public transit. It is the largest source of funding for transit in many states. Most states have a majority who don't see themselves benefiting from public transit. Why is Oklahoma unique? That's half-assed and regressive work from ODOT, and I don't understand why the City of OKC isn't more publicly dismayed over what a disservice they do OKC. It's a joke really.

The turnpike should be generating enough revenue to cover better maintenance than there currently is. And no more if it isn't going to be leveraged to support other state initiatives. I don't get why these fiscal conservatives don't include ODOT as that third governmental agency they'd abolish. I'm sure we could do transportation block grants to MPOs and cities themselves to do what ODOT should be doing.

A competent state DOT would be great, but given the consistent dastardly moves from ODOT, we just shouldn't work with them. This is what they do and will always try to do, whether its Ridley, McCabe, or someone worse and more incompetent.
    LOL! OKC has benefited more from ODOT than you apparently realize. But in terms of transit, the way to do it is to pool your transit folks and get them with their respective legislators to get with ODOT. This is the process; this is how you get change -- not getting on a message board and berating an agency. Seriously, without a majority of voices the status quo continues. And if you have done this and there is still no major action then this is a sign that you just might be in the minority. To call an agency incompetent simply because they don't do what you and your friends want is pretty crazy man. Personally I think their engineers are a little complacent and don't come across as innovative in terms of interchange design, etc., when compared to traveling to other cities and states, but I hardly call them incompetent.

Federal bill promises boost for road, transit funding in Oklahoma | News OK

WASHINGTON — Oklahoma will get a substantial boost in federal funding for roads, bridges and mass transit under a bill cleared Tuesday for final congressional approval.

Over the next five years, the state is expected to receive nearly $3.4 billion in highway funding and more than $240 million in mass transit funding.

House and Senate negotiators finished work on a five-year, $305 billion highway bill that could be approved by both houses this week. It would mark the first time in a decade that Congress passed a highway bill lasting more than two years.

Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Tulsa, one of the lead negotiators on the legislation, said the $3.6 billion that Oklahoma is set to receive will be “the largest single infrastructure investment in Oklahoma's history.

One thing I am hoping in this is that some projects get pushed forward such as the interchange projects(235/44). I sent ODOT an email asking them include that project on their info page(Oklahoma Department of Transportation - Major Projects) of major projects. They seem to be doing a much better job at including projects on their website now. They told me they plan on letting the next phase out to bid this spring which will be the bridges. I'd like to see the other phases get pushed up as well.

There are several other projects such as the I-35/Waterloo Rd. Interchange replacement that could get pushed up as well.

Not ODOT exactly, but will impact ODOT. Congress approved the FAST Act which is great. One of the plans that has been on hold to widen I-40 in Midwest City could be pushed up which will be nice. That whole stretch needs to be reworked.

FAST Act Approved By Congress - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Yah, the I-35/Waterloo interchange needs to be moved up. Some days the traffic coming off of north bound I-35 is backed up to the lanes of I-35. Not safe at all. As more homes are built in north Oklahoma county/Edmond and south Logan county, I can only guess what a nightmare it will be in a few years without any major changes.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Yah, the I-35/Waterloo interchange needs to be moved up. Some days the traffic coming off of north bound I-35 is backed up to the lanes of I-35. Not safe at all. As more homes are built in north Oklahoma county/Edmond and south Logan county, I can only guess what a nightmare it will be in a few years without any major changes.
    It'd really help to put in new ramps at a Sorghum Mill or Simmons Road instead of just an overpass. Covell used to be like that too. The way they're developing NE Edmond, you can't just have Covell, Waterloo and Seward as access points.

I agree with you. Sorghum Mill might be do able but Coffee Creek has some expensive homes built in what would be taken to build it. Simmons seems like it would be do able. ODOT needs to aleast purchase the ground for future building. With the water line east of I -35 more of the land will develop into smaller lots. Wait until the high school and the Woodland Park land is developed and then tell me what the traffic situation will be like.

I really want to see Waterloo turned into a freeway. It is the perfect location too. Most of the ROW that would be required would tear down sh!tty metal buildings and it's right on the county line.

Connect it to SH-74.

From ODOT

ODOT grateful for historic FAST Act, sustained federal funding for Oklahoma transportation

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

December 7, 2015

PR# 15-048

After years of uncertain federal funding for transportation, the Oklahoma Department of Transportation is hailing the successful passage of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act by Congress and signed into law by President Obama. The FAST Act provides five years of federal funding and important policy reforms.

While the measure includes increased federal funding, the critical component for ODOT is five years of sustained funding for transportation
    More than $643 million in federal funding for Oklahoma’s state and local roads and bridges in the first year, with incremental increases each subsequent year. This is an increase from about $612 million in annual funding received previously.
    Nearly $50 million for public transit programs in the first year, with annual incremental increases in funding
    Reforms to the environmental review process to help projects move faster and more efficiently
    Provisions allowing existing, legally-placed church and service organization signs that meet certain standards to remain near highways
    Highway funding allocated for improvements to freight corridors
    States can compete for grant funding for major projects that are too large to complete with traditional funding sources
    Transportation officials including Oklahoma Secretary of Transportation Gary Ridley and Executive Director Mike Patterson praised U.S. Senator James Inhofe’s vision and continued leadership on a national level to see this bipartisan bill through the process and U.S. Rep. Markwayne Mullin’s role as a member of the conference committee.

“We are delighted and relieved because the funding and policy reforms included in the FAST Act will help ODOT continue delivering on its commitment to make transportation safer and more efficient for Oklahoma’s people and businesses,” Patterson said.

Since the previous long-term transportation bill expired in 2009, Congress has passed numerous short-term funding reauthorizations, which each provided only a few months of flat funding at a time. Even with some additional state funding for ODOT in recent years, uncertainty in both federal and state funding categories can always impact long-term transportation planning, since projects can take a decade to plan, design and construct.

“This is a historic piece of legislation that will continue the progress made on highways and bridges in Oklahoma,” Ridley said. “We are very grateful to Oklahoma’s congressional delegation and especially Senator Inhofe for his steadfast support for transportation over the years and his hard work in shepherding this bill through Congress.”

The certainty provided by the FAST Act will help ensure that ODOT will have funding necessary for projects already under construction and those scheduled in the Eight-year Construction Work Plan. The current plan for Federal Fiscal Years 2016 through 2023 contains more than 1,800 highway and bridge projects in all 77 counties totaling nearly $6.5 billion. It is funded equally with federal and state funds. The projects in the Eight-year Construction Work Plan are only possible with reliable federal and state funding.

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/ne...ticle_id=17080

Here is a new interactive map by ODOT displaying road closures and conditions.

http://ok.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewe...5589ab7e2f42c1

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I really want to see Waterloo turned into a freeway. It is the perfect location too. Most of the ROW that would be required would tear down sh!tty metal buildings and it's right on the county line.

Connect it to SH-74.
    That would be fantastic! I think the R-O-W only exists for the widening of it to a four or five-lane thoroughfare, but yes a freeway would be great. Even five-laning it (four-lane with a constant middle turn lane) with right-turn only bays at intersections would be awesome. There is tremendous growth up in that area and an expansion would be really beneficial. I would think it would be easy to get done given it's a shared public road between Logan and Oklahoma counties, which means they would need to get together and work it out. Get some federal funding on board then boom, magic.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    That would be fantastic! I think the R-O-W only exists for the widening of it to a four or five-lane thoroughfare, but yes a freeway would be great. Even five-laning it (four-lane with a constant middle turn lane) with right-turn only bays at intersections would be awesome. There is tremendous growth up in that area and an expansion would be really beneficial. I would think it would be easy to get done given it's a shared public road between Logan and Oklahoma counties, which means they would need to get together and work it out. Get some federal funding on board then boom, magic.
    Yeah, and the time to start planning is now. Secure the new ROW. Even if today they decided they wanted a highway there, it probably wouldn't even start construction for another 3-5 years and that'd be with bonds. ODOT really needs to get it's planning stuff in order. Once the whole north-north west side gets filled in along with North Edmond, this area will truly become a nightmare for traffic as no freeway is nearby. Honestly, they should have built a 4 lane highway here back in the 90's.

Thread Information