Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Energy FC

1. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

I'm sorry; "if it was still going to be used for baseball" is one of the sillier things I've seen posted here in a while.

BTW, I'm not trying to make that personal. You certainly aren't the first or only person on here to suggest that baseball could just be pushed aside in favor of a soccer application. It's simply never going to happen.

2. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    Those fans have come up with some really cool designs.
    Totally agree. That is a first-rate public shaming.

Blog Entries

Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    Using Laramie's last pic, this is roughly what the dimensions of a soccer pitch would look like at BTBP
    Attachment 8138
    If it was still going to be used for baseball (meaning no structural teardowns) then you would have to work with the existing dimensions (325 ft down both lines)
    You would have to extend the field as far as possible past home plate in order to get a few extra yards for the length. At 325 ft from homeplate to the outfield fence, you are looking at probably 105yds at the most? I'm really guessing here, not sure how much real estate is actually between home and the dugouts.
    Good layout, Borchard:

Bricktown Ballpark could become a multi-use facility to include soccer and American football with some alterations.

We need to be aware of the trend in MLB: Parent clubs are locating top development franchises close to MLB operations.

MLB teams (with development city) in our region are:

Texas (Round Rock-Austin) 166 miles from Dallas; 189 miles to OKC. Frisco (24 miles) north of Dallas could be future home for Ranger operations.
    Kansas City (Omaha) 167 miles from Kansas City; 300 miles to OKC.
    Houston (Oklahoma City) 412 miles from Houston; The Woodlands (27 miles) or Round Rock (146 miles) from Houston could be future home for Astros operations.
    St. Louis (Memphis) 244 miles from St. Louis; 457 miles to OKC.
    Colorado (Colorado Springs) 63 miles from Denver; 501 miles to OKC.

We support AAA baseball at Bricktown Ballpark; we have statues (Bench, Mantle, Spahn) and busts (Allie Reynolds, Bobby Murcer, Pepper Martin, Carl Hubbell, Paul Waner, Lloyd Waner and Joe Carter) are placed atop marble bases with etched biographies. ) in commemoration of famous Oklahomans.

Major League Baseball Players Born in Oklahoma

Pittsburgh Pirate's Willie Stargell (Earlsboro, OK) is another great name in MLB. Joe Carter also has a street named in his honor in Bricktown.

Do we keep AAA or will we eventually end up with AA at the Brick?

Johnny Bench_________ Mickey Mantle_________Warren Spahn

Bricktown Ballpark would serve our community better as a multiuse facility.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Blog Entries

In the unlikely scenario we lost our ball club, since this was an original MAPS project, I'd like to see any re-tasking of the facility and associated funding go up for a vote since it's basically "our stadium", leased by the club. Probably your plan would win approval in that scenario, but I still feel better about it taking such an approach.

Blog Entries

Using Laramie's last pic, this is roughly what the dimensions of a soccer pitch would look like at BTBP
    Attachment 8138
    If it was still going to be used for baseball (meaning no structural teardowns) then you would have to work with the existing dimensions (325 ft down both lines)
    You would have to extend the field as far as possible past home plate in order to get a few extra yards for the length. At 325 ft from homeplate to the outfield fence, you are looking at probably 105yds at the most? I'm really guessing here, not sure how much real estate is actually between home and the dugouts.
    Here's the layout for the Tulsa Roughnecks FC at Oneok Field in Tulsa:

The Tulsa Athletics are in NPSL currently and they do play in the old Drillers Stadium. I couldn't find a layout but from they are working to convert the stadium to be more have torn out some stands and replaced others so the field sits up against the what was the left field stands. They are working to move up to the NASL but I'm not sure they are going to have the funding to do that and compete with the Roughnecks.

Blog Entries

ONEOK Field has a minimum permanent seating capacity of 7,833.

Impressive shot of the Tulsa Skyline beyond the outfield.

Tulsa has made preparations to utilized ONEOK Field for baseball & soccer. Could be the beginning of things to come should Tulsa push to get back into the NASL or make the grand move toward securing an MLS franchise for T-town and Oklahoma.

Tulsa had an impressive history in the NASL:

The Tulsa Roughnecks of the old NASL made a big impact on the region with a high average of 19,800 fans at Skelly Stadium in 1980.

1978 - 11,256
    1979 - 16,426
    1980 - 19,787
    1981 - 17,188
    1982 - 14,554
    1983 - 12,415
    1984 - 7,797

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I'm sorry; "if it was still going to be used for baseball" is one of the sillier things I've seen posted here in a while.

BTW, I'm not trying to make that personal. You certainly aren't the first or only person on here to suggest that baseball could just be pushed aside in favor of a soccer application. It's simply never going to happen.
    I didn't take it personally at all. I was simply saying that, unless we lose baseball and it's no longer played at BTBP, and "permanent" modifications aren't possible, then any soccer team playing there would have to work within the existing confines. And, yes, it can be done.
    And i'm not trying to demean anyone who follows the Redhawks, either. But you cannot deny that baseball in OKC has gotten less popular? I even went to the Big XII baseball tournament when OU and OSU played, and it was the smallest crowd I had ever seen for a Bedlam game at BTBP.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Tulsa has made preparations to utilized ONEOK Field for baseball & soccer. Could be the beginning of things to come should Tulsa push to get back into the NASL or make the grand move toward securing an MLS franchise for T-town and Oklahoma.

The Tulsa Roughnecks of the old NASL made a big impact on the region with a high average of 19,800 fans at Skelly Stadium in 1980.

1978 - 11,256
    1979 - 16,426
    1980 - 19,787
    1981 - 17,188
    1982 - 14,554
    1983 - 12,415
    1984 - 7,797

The scuttlebutt I've been hearing is that the Tulsa Athletics organization is trying to move into the NASL. If they do, then they will still be playing at Driller Park, which they have pretty much taken over for their NPSL team now. They have removed some seating down the first baseline to lengthen the field, and they have added some small bleachers where center field used to be so fans can sit on that side of the pitch.
    We'll see what happens with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

1978 - 11,256
    1979 - 16,426
    1980 - 19,787
    1981 - 17,188
    1982 - 14,554
    1983 - 12,415
    1984 - 7,797

Or looking at it another way, the novelty wore off after 3 years.

Tulsa Roughnecks -
    They were NASL champs in 1983. The league folded the following year. A bit of history -

Tulsa Roughnecks (1978?84) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blog Entries

The scuttlebutt I've been hearing is that the Tulsa Athletics organization is trying to move into the NASL. If they do, then they will still be playing at Driller Park, which they have pretty much taken over for their NPSL team now. They have removed some seating down the first baseline to lengthen the field, and they have added some small bleachers where center field used to be so fans can sit on that side of the pitch.
    We'll see what happens with that.
    You have some old Roughnecks people behind the Tulsa Athletics. They have limited funds but a really good following and reportedly put on a great a game experience. They draw several thousand fans a game for an amateur team. What they are accomplishing is really impressive. They have a lot of desire and a good following but need more money.

Behind the “New” Tulsa Roughnecks FC you have the Tulsa Drillers organization with plenty of money and a great downtown stadium that will play high level minor league pro soccer. The new Roughnecks have yet to play a game. Let’s see how they do. They do very well with The Drillers.

There is a good amount of drama between the two. The Athletics group hates the Drillers group. One because they see the Drillers group as just being baseball people who are trying to take the Tulsa market from the Athletics who are the real soccer people. And because they have the money to do it and they took the Roughnecks name. Another piece to this little puzzle is that the MLS had people that were considering Tulsa placing a team in Tulsa that were working with the old Roughnecks guys. MLS needed a stadium for the team but the city declined to build one and instead built a very successful new stadium for the Drillers. The same Drillers that suddenly are interested in Soccer.

It’s not a little bit ironic that the old Roughnecks people are now using the old Drillers stadium as their own for the Athletics.

Tulsa’s a pretty good soccer town, we will see how this all plays out. Tulsa needs to be in a league that also includes a team from OKC.

That's quite an interesting history. I think professional soccer is going to do great in both markets, and I can't wait to see how the USL Pro rivalry buds between Energy FC and Roughnecks FC. How grand it would be to have another great sports rivalry with Tulsa since we lost Blazers/Oilers.

Energy fc wins 2-0!!!!!!!

Nice job! They are clearly playing better and are now climbing the table.

I believe we may have found a rival, that was chippy!

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    I believe we may have found a rival, that was chippy!
    apparently there was a little back and forth between their keeper and The Grid when he was at the north end. Seems everyone took it in stride, so you may be right!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Fun atmosphere tonight during a 2-0 win over Sacramento. Energy are looking good. It's fun to see the team and coaches come over to the North End after the match to thank the fans.

18. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Energy FC unveil plan for Taft Stadium Seating

http://www.energyfc.com/index.cfm?fa...C-000C296FBAA9

Learn more about Energy FC's home in 2015
    Energy FC

I still can't figure out what the structure is going to look like behind the historic wall:

The stadium lights with OKC on them are already up. Not sure what else has happened behind the scenes.

This one at least gives me hope that it will look better than some of the original concept art made it seem like it was going to.

I do hate that the track is there though

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    The stadium lights with OKC on them are already up. Not sure what else has happened behind the scenes.
    The concessions, etc. buildings on each corner are nearly structurely complete.

I know they are just renderings, but the field definitely looks wider than the one they currently play on at BMHS.

was the game chippy last night, since the first encounter vs. Sacramento was far from friendly

Thread Information