Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: WinCo

1. Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Seems like using higher quality meat for BBQ defeats the purpose of why BBQ developed in the first place
    Yep.... It's a fad brought on by shows like BBQ Pitmasters that show all the comp guys using prime/wagyu briskets..... That may be necessary in competition but the beginnings of BBQ are rooted in making tough, undesirable, cuts of meat edible.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    What's the real difference between choice and select if they are prepared properly?
    Price mostly.... I have no problem cooking select briskets and getting quality product...... With that said if I can get a higher quality piece of meat for lower quality price... I'm going to do it.

2. Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    They must have because dam, all I saw was Select ones and they were definitely higher than those Choice ones in your pictures. I was going to grab another one but they didn't have the good ones out when I was their last time. Someone needs to get to the bottom of this immiediately
    Any chance you spotted sasquatch buying beef jerky at Winco the day you were there too?

Default Re: WinCo

What's the real difference between choice and select if they are prepared properly?
    I don't think that I've ever cooked a select brisket, but it would stand to reason that less marbling means a greater possibility of drying out the meat, especially the flat portion. Of course, if one wraps the brisket at the stall, that could help a great deal. Choice brisket is pretty inexpensive at Sam's, so I'll either buy it there or Uptown. When I'm spending that much time and money on a piece of meat, I figure I'll hedge my bets by going choice. Doubt I'll ever be able to feel good about spending Prime money on a brisket.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Any chance you spotted sasquatch buying beef jerky at Winco the day you were there too?
    Actually yes...but conveniently there are no pictures of THAT, either.

Your meat will take longer to smoke and render out the fat on Select vs Choice or Prime, so you end up using more wood and it takes longer for it to cook.

Does anyone know of a grocery store in OKC that sells Prime briskets?

7. Default Re: WinCo

Your meat will take longer to smoke and render out the fat on Select vs Choice or Prime, so you end up using more wood and it takes longer for it to cook.
    Hmmmmm.... In 20+ years of cooking briskets I've never had this problem.... I must be doing something wrong.

8. Default Re: WinCo

Does anyone know of a grocery store in OKC that sells Prime briskets?
    Yes

9. Default Re: WinCo

I would think Select would take less time to cook as they generally have less fat (%2 or so) where Choice can range up to that 4% to 10% based on the cut. I've never really had a reason to buy Select and Choice is widely available here in Oklahoma for my smoking habits at reasonable rates.

10. Default Re: WinCo

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I would think Select would take less time to cook as they generally have less fat (%2 or so) where Choice can range up to that 4% to 10% based on the cut.
    Yeah... You would think that but apparently there is something in that select fat that makes it harder to render out.... Or so I've heard.

Personally all the briskets I cook get cooked until they jiggle like jello, so cook times vary, but that usually has more to do with the size of the brisket than the grade.

I dropped down to select grade during the drought when prices skyrocketed as cattle farmers cut back on their herds.... Now that choice is back under $3 lb.... I've gone back to choice or CAB briskets just because they are a little more forgiving to cook.

Yes
    Ok what stores carry Prime brisket and whats the price range for them??

You can get prime brisket from Lobels in New York for 119.00 but that seems really high to me.

http://www.lobels.com/usda-prime-beef-brisket/p/UPBRSK

13. Default Re: WinCo

You can get prime brisket from Lobels in New York for 119.00 but that seems really high to me.

http://www.lobels.com/usda-prime-beef-brisket/p/UPBRSK
    Seems like you would pay more for gas to get there than the brisket costs.

Seems like you would pay more for gas to get there than the brisket costs.
    It's sent through the mail. But what stores locally sell Prime Briskets?

39th & Portland location as of last night:

Went in the other day, moderately impressed, they had some solid prices on their value items and of course their wall of deals you walk through to enter. Average retail pricing seemed to be at a Crest level if not a tad cheaper in many cases, many things higher though probably to margin up on those things. Maybe I've been spoiled by the mega Crests, Reasors etc in OK but it was almost a bit claustrophobic to walk around in? It was busy but the ceiling didn't feel as high as a normal high end grocery store is and had a lot of utilities hanging down. Very plain as well which probably helps their low costs but after seeing stores in the area put a ton of work into theming and decor it was a bit odd.

Very impressed by their bulk section, though some of the suggestions seemed a bit odd to me. The coffee grind section and honey section were also very unique and neat to see. Pricing in bulk was fantastic if that's your thing. Not impressed at all with their bakery, very few cakes on display, I was a bit concerned by their dates on their bakery items, many things I saw went out of date within a day. Which is fine if they're baking fresh every morning which hopefully they are this soon into being open. Meat section looked good, good prices, interesting recipes on the tags a lot of time, I didn't get a chance to check percentage of select vs choice though .

Center store grocery seemed a bit confusingly laid out. Maybe it's the fact you have so many avenues to go down and turn down aisles but I was missing a lot of things as I shopped. They also have a lot of issues still at checkout which I'm sure is due to customers not understanding the bag your own thing yet. Many people just stared at the groceries instead of hopping down and getting started. Maybe better signage would improve things.

They definitely are going to have an audience that will love them but honestly for me, if I still want a premium shopping experience with good prices I'll probably still go to Crest the majority of the time. I can also confirm Crest is pushing hard on AWG to get pricing on key items more in line with what Winco is currently at. But many are waiting to see if Winco raises prices up here in a few months. So we will see.

I find the comments on claustrophobia to be interesting. That's the same reason we frequently end up skipping the crest on Rockwell and Hefner for Homeland. Even though the selection is good, the store is so moved that we end up deciding to pay $30-$50 more a grocery trip at Homeland to avoid the crowds.

I went at 7:30 on a Tuesday night and it was busy but not overly so. Maybe the aisles aren't as wide as I'm accustomed to at something like a Crest? I dunno it felt slightly overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOkie View Post
    I find the comments on claustrophobia to be interesting. That's the same reason we frequently end up skipping the crest on Rockwell and Hefner for Homeland. Even though the selection is good, the store is so moved that we end up deciding to pay $30-$50 more a grocery trip at Homeland to avoid the crowds.
    This. I usually skip the homeland to shop at Crest on Rockwell and Hefner, but man those aisles are small..

Anyone know what is the latest on the Penn and Memorial rd location?

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Anyone know what is the latest on the Penn and Memorial rd location?
    Their are site issues (a creek runs right through) they have been trying to work through. Winco still hasn't purchased the land.

Midwest City location

Just got a flyer in the mail that Winco is hiring for the Midwest City location.

Has anyone heard when they plan to open?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just got a flyer in the mail that Winco is hiring for the Midwest City location.

Has anyone heard when they plan to open?
    Pete,
    Yeah, I'm excited. They want to hire me. Got an offer in the mail Saturday. Somewhere on this forum I read that August is their target date. I think it's in the Mid-Del group.
    C. T.

Ok what stores carry Prime brisket and whats the price range for them??
    Sams Club

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1212.JPG 
Views:	337 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	13941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1212.JPG 
Views:	337 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	13941

Thread Information