Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

No idea how I didn't notice that. Thanks for the quick clarification Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

There is a sidewalk that leads from Blackwelder to the new stop.

I've been wondering about the usefulness of that stop recently, but maybe it'll help jumpstart development on that block. I seem to recall being told a while back that someone has been acquiring the land on that overall corner of NW Expressway and Classen.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I've been wondering about the usefulness of that stop recently, but maybe it'll help jumpstart development on that block. I seem to recall being told a while back that someone has been acquiring the land on that overall corner of NW Expressway and Classen.
    Yes, it's in this thread: https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=46858

It's unfortunate the city does not seem to be fixing the Blackwelder/NW Expressway intersection as part of this project. Blackwelder needs a left turn lane, the road needs to be widened and curbed for about 500ft, and signal improvements are needed. The stretch of NW Expressway from I-44 to Classen could use some traffic calming elements too.

Yeah, the intersection of Blackwelder and NW Expressway needs help. I live in the neighborhood and tried to get on Expressway earlier and the traffic was backed up to 47th St, with more trying to leave OnCue, Scooters, and turning right from 49th St. And people turning left onto Expressway both ways end up almost hitting each other all the time.

7. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

JUST 12 minute headways during peak hours? This is seeming more and more like the local bus service OKC should have rather than true BRT (which should have 5 min or less). Not saying OKC should have 5 min headways but def should be less than 10 min.

Love the 2 am weekends, but again - this seems like local night but rather than BRT.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    JUST 12 minute headways during peak hours? This is seeming more and more like the local bus service OKC should have rather than true BRT (which should have 5 min or less). Not saying OKC should have 5 min headways but def should be less than 10 min.

Love the 2 am weekends, but again - this seems like local night but rather than BRT.
    This is what I said months ago. My hometown has many bus lines with ~12 min (or better) service, at least at certain times of day, but none of which are referred to as rapid transit. It's just the standard for how buses should run. It'll still be the best bus option in OKC by far, but yeah... the bar is low.

This project like the streetcar is a joke. I have little to no hope for actual, useful mass transit in OKC for the foreseeable future. Maybe the RTA will operate better.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    This project like the streetcar is a joke. I have little to no hope for actual, useful mass transit in OKC for the foreseeable future. Maybe the RTA will operate better.
    It's a population density wait game at this point. We need to add about 250k residents between 240/LHP/Kilpatrick/235. Until then, it's going to be a struggle to justify the costs. I'd say we're 20-30 years away from that, so I think the only real value an RTA is going to provide at this point is kicking off the Edmond to Norman commuter rail which we need to have to give us a better understanding of what we really need to invest in 35/235 moving forward.

December 4th is the official launch of the NW line.

https://freepressokc.com/okc-nw-bus-...service-dec-4/

12. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

way to go, miss all of the fall to launch at the beginning of winter. ....
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    way to go, miss all of the fall to launch at the beginning of winter. ....
    I think it makes sense given the current status of construction. Backing up from the Dec. 4th launch date, there is an entire month for testing, so that starts Nov. 4th. That means the city has about six weeks to finish the platforms at 23rd and Classen, fix the intersection at Expressway/Penn, and finish the work at the two platforms in the CBD. Plus they need to install the remaining electric infrastructure, like the signal lights and signs. Seems reasonable.

Something I noticed during the construction phase is that the city replaced a lot of underground water infrastructure when they built these platforms. I think coordinating that utility work - which will prevent them from coming back and tearing it all up in the future - was well worth the extra two months.

One thing that has bewildered me... Why has the City put up these big barriers at the BRT stops?

Wouldn't a sign indicating "Service coming soon" or something similar along with the traffic cones serve the same purpose?

What are they safeguarding against?

^^^ Idiots driving up on them? Of course, not sure what's going to stop that once they're open...

I agree a "Coming Soon" sign would work, but since some of these are so close to existing stops or taking the place of them entirely, I think the city is just trying to make it 100% clear it's not an active stop. Some of the stops were/are still in various phases of construction too, with bolts sticking up out of the ground.

While it is ultimately up to the contractor & sub contractor for their traffic control methods, they will use huge barriers to keep accidental ADA use from happening. A blind person or in a wheel chair can slip past cones (yes it's happened) . The safety meetings when this was decided must of been an interesting. Could of be a bunch of factors for the decision.

Is this new information? https://twitter.com/RapidBrt/status/1714296493903859862

Say "Hi!" to Oklahoma City's first bus lanes!

Segments of NW Expressway & Classen Blvd. will be reserved for @EMBARKOK buses & motorists making right turns, preserving access to businesses, neighborhoods, and cross streets. https://loom.ly/TsgHKmk

Will be curious how this is enforced. Have little/no BRT experience - will the street be painted / extensive signage be used to identify the BRT lane?

Quote Originally Posted by tvkokc View Post
    While it is ultimately up to the contractor & sub contractor for their traffic control methods, they will use huge barriers to keep accidental ADA use from happening. A blind person or in a wheel chair can slip past cones (yes it's happened) . The safety meetings when this was decided must of been an interesting. Could of be a bunch of factors for the decision.
    this is 100% an embark decision they did the same stupid things for the street car stops .. (magically once service starts the "risk" doesn't matter anymore"

Are they striping the lane red? Putting up signs? What a stupid move to do at the last moment and not give anyone a heads up.

22. Default Re: Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    In some areas, at least along Classen and a bit up NW Highway, the lane already has "BUS" stenciled in giant white letters every so often in the lane itself. Not sure about signage; I haven't seen any to date.

You know, I think I noticed that while driving south on Classen on Sunday but didn't think anything of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    In some areas, at least along Classen and a bit up NW Highway, the lane already has "BUS" stenciled in giant white letters every so often in the lane itself. Not sure about signage; I haven't seen any to date.
    It would be nice if they painted the entire lane red with a double solid stripe and right turn only lane signs.

I'm legitimately surprised they're going this route, but doing so during the main commuting hours is a great compromise and I'm very glad they're having the courage to do it. I've also seen "BUS" painted in the lane, but I think it's going to take a lot more than that to enforce this.

Thread Information