Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

I just keep dreaming of a scenario where the Gazette buys the Oklahoman and Pete becomes Steve’s boss. Hilarity ensues.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I just keep dreaming of a scenario where the Gazette buys the Oklahoman and Pete becomes Steve’s boss. Hilarity ensues.
    I really, really regret not trying to get investors together and buy the Oklahoman before GateHouse.

And not just to smite my enemies but because I believe it could be much better and in turn a much bigger asset to OKC. As it is, there is no longer an organization to buy. Effectively, they are just a news bureau for a big conglomerate and almost all the paper's functions are no longer staffed or performed locally. More than half of their content is not even written in OKC.

So, when GH has squeezed every bit of life out, all that will remain is a husk and nothing to rebuild. Complete opposite of the Gazette where we do everything here, so there was a great foundation from which to build. The only thing we outsource is printing the weekly paper. Most issues, we don't even use freelancers.

The Oklahoman has implemented their paywalll:

well... then i guess i will now be getting all of my news from the Gazette...

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    well... then i guess i will now be getting all of my news from the Gazette...
    And OKCTalk!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And OKCTalk!
    nah... i just come here to argue... lol

I had two teenage girls come by my house yesterday trying to sell me on a subscription as part of a fundraiser to pay for college, they gave me a free sample. When I said no, they were visibly disappointed, asked for the sample back and left. Lol

I pay for their digital subscription and cannot get access to the site. I put in the PW correctly and it won’t let me in. I reset the PW and it won’t let me reset the PW and gain access. It’s debiting straight out of my account so I know their IT is hosed. And what is the deal with all of the three month old stories I still see on their homepage? Are they down to a staff of five now?

Example, I visited the site tonight (after realizing the only way to change my PW was to visit the desktop site), and saw this story on the homepage. NOTE THE DATE. This is still living in the main content area of the homepage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Newsok Old thunder story.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	15367

Pete, just got a notification on loopnet that 14,000+ sq ft of additional space just became available on the second floor of their building. Looks like the Oklahoman’s second floor space. You should move the Gazette up there
    https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/100-...y-OK/14498849/

Ironically, the Journal Record also has a big chunk of space for sub-lease right across the street at Corporate Tower.

Both the JR and Oklahoman are now owned by GateHouse media.

HangryHippo Guest

Ironically, the Journal Record also has a big chunk of space for sub-lease right across the street at Corporate Tower.

Both the JR and Oklahoman are now owned by GateHouse media.
    Do you think they'll be combined soon?

I really, really regret not trying to get investors together and buy the Oklahoman before GateHouse.
    Give it a year or two, there may be another chance.

The good thing about their payroll is that Okc talk members are a lot less likely to post news that the Oklahoma stole from okctalk.

Great article in this week's Gazette:

https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/c...nt?oid=6349958

Now they are limiting articles available without a subscription. Ultimate proof newspapers are dying. Kinda stinks, because I enjoy Dave Cathey.

17. Default Re: OPUBCO / Oklahoman Business Practices

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Now they are limiting articles available without a subscription. Ultimate proof newspapers are dying. Kinda stinks, because I enjoy Dave Cathey.
    Maybe get a subscription then.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Maybe get a subscription then.
    I might. But it is just how they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I might. But it is just how they did it.
    If you find enough value in Dave Cathey, anyway. Advertisers, apparently don't think The Oklahoma as a whole was value.

Great article in this week's Gazette:

https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/c...nt?oid=6349958

Less than 100 employees at the Oklahoman. I'm sure there are some blog sites/youtube sites that approach that number.

I'm sure they'll refund the TIF money they received for job creation downtown.

We haven't received our physical paper since April. They ask you to report online but the form is usually broken and they do nothing to correct the issue or follow up. Last year delivery stopped for a month or two and it had to be escalated several times before it finally started showing up again.

Blog Entries

There was in insert in our paper last week with the same jibber-jabber.....finding new carrier contractors, be patient, support local journalism, etc. This week we’ve been getting a paper - I think it comes about 10 AM but of course no one is home at that time to know for sure.

I'm sure they'll refund the TIF money they received for job creation downtown.
    The other great part is that we moved them from one part of okc to another. Nothing new was created here, outside the finish out of some office space. We basically paid them very well to move down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    The other great part is that we moved them from one part of okc to another. Nothing new was created here, outside the finish out of some office space. We basically paid them very well to move down the road.
    And at that time, they were owned by one of the world's richest men who had just pocketed $74 million for selling their existing HQ.

Thread Information