Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 103 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202166 ... LastLast

Thread: Omni Hotel

Default Re: Convention Hotel

I am not taking a position for or against the convention center hotel, but this story is a good read concerning Dallas's approach to the subisidized Omni Hotel:

How Government Subsidies Are Hiding the Omni Convention Center Hotel’s Losses

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I am not taking a position for or against the convention center hotel, but this story is a good read concerning Dallas's approach to the subisidized Omni Hotel:

How Government Subsidies Are Hiding the Omni Convention Center Hotel’s Losses
    Good find adaniel.

I don't know the true situation in Dallas, however maybe the market for conventions in the BIG 'D' has overextended itself--is the market oversaturated? Dallas probably has over 16,000 hotel rooms in the downtown area alone.

Cities like Nashville, Charlotte, New Orleans and Denver offer an alternative to Dallas. Oklahoma City could become an up-and-coming competitive convention destination if we build the facilities to complement the convention center. This would include an anchor hotel which could provide accommodations for large tier II level conventions.

Kansas City's situation:

Kansas City lost an earlier opportunity to host a Walmart Convention.

Visit KC CEO: KC needs a downtown convention center hotel - Kansas City Business Journal

2016 GOP: Kansas City loses bid to host GOP convention

I guess the Kansas City Marriott doesn't count?! It seemed really big when I was there a month ago or so, and it is adjacent to the convention center.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFP View Post
    I guess the Kansas City Marriott doesn't count?! It seemed really big when I was there a month ago or so, and it is adjacent to the convention center.

The KC Convention Center is attached to the hotel via an enclosed walkway. You would think that major hotel brand with 983 rooms would be competitive.

We have some ground to catch up with a lot of cities in the convention industry. It's a competitive industry; you've got to have something (convention center-hotel complex) to get something. The Cox Convention Center is so outdated you couldn't host a major pinball convention.

Kansas City Marriott Downtown | Hotel Accommodations

Kansas City Marriott Downtown Hotel | Technology & Amenities

I could see Walmart having many conventions in OKC if they have the space and rooms. With it being based in Bentonville, AR it is not a long distance to OKC and Walmart has a very rich history and relationship with the state of Oklahoma. I could see big conventions there, so lets build a 35 story hotel with about 1000 rooms and lets get it on.

Not to mention, this hotel will be shown constantly during OKC Thunder games. That kind of advertisement is tough to beat. Hey Clayco, are you taking notes? Build those new buildings so nice and tall that the country see them on a regular basis! You can't lose that way, free advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by soondoc View Post
    Not to mention, this hotel will be shown constantly during OKC Thunder games. That kind of advertisement is tough to beat. Hey Clayco, are you taking notes? Build those new buildings so nice and tall that the country see them on a regular basis! You can't lose that way, free advertisement.
    Nah, I like them all the same height. Seems fine to me

Especially if you rig lights on the outside windows to make a moving video board like the KC Mariott did for the World Series! Here's a still:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KC Mariott World Series Pic.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	460.9 KB 
ID:	9541
    Imagine the Thunder logo moving across the side of the OKC Convention Hotel! Pretty cool!

9. Default Re: Convention Hotel

Perhaps they refer to a hotel that is not only adjacent to the convention center for the main event, but one that also has significant additional meeting space for separate and break-out meetings that often are necessary with large events. When the Democrats came to Denver, there were events related to, but separate from the Democrat convention all over downtown. It was truly a circus. I am not familiar with that Marriott location, but perhaps it doesn't have much meeting space.

SoonerFP, that would look great with OKC flashing all across the building. Imagine a 30+ story hotel across from the arena with many game day shots?

Maybe using the hotel as a giant billboard could create added revenue to support it being built. Basically a 30 story led screen. Sort of like a positive version of the Bladerunner cityscape.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Perhaps they refer to a hotel that is not only adjacent to the convention center for the main event, but one that also has significant additional meeting space for separate and break-out meetings that often are necessary with large events. When the Democrats came to Denver, there were events related to, but separate from the Democrat convention all over downtown. It was truly a circus. I am not familiar with that Marriott location, but perhaps it doesn't have much meeting space.
    My meeting was actually at the Marriott and it was for a national meeting of several hundred people. They have two floors of meeting space. It was perfect for our size of meeting, but perhaps it isn't enough for the bigger events. We certainly didn't need the convention center.

SoonerFP, that would look great with OKC flashing all across the building. Imagine a 30+ story hotel across from the arena with many game day shots?
    Absolutely! +1

14. Default Re: Convention Hotel

Especially if you rig lights on the outside windows to make a moving video board like the KC Mariott did for the World Series! Here's a still:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KC Mariott World Series Pic.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	460.9 KB 
ID:	9541
    Imagine the Thunder logo moving across the side of the OKC Convention Hotel! Pretty cool!
    Always enjoy seeing the designs they would do for the Big XII Championship Game and also Christmas whenever I'm up in KCMO.

Is there any rumors as to how many stories this hotel will be? I thought I heard 15 somewhere earlier but that seems pretty small to me. Lets hope it's at least 25 to line up somewhat with these other new buildings.

They want it to be around 735 rooms and it has to fit on that lot, so it seems 20-25 stories would be a good estimate.

Much will depend on the hotel operator.

Hopefully this turns out great, i don't really see the logic about putting this between the MBG and the future maps park, it just seems like it cuts off green space....
    Maybe if they give us a brilliant design for the hotel though....

20. Default Re: Convention Hotel

Has the city expressed willingness to pay a huge subsidy for this project? Even Denver and Dallas had to pony up big time for convention hotels

Quote Originally Posted by Village View Post
    Hopefully this turns out great, i don't really see the logic about putting this between the MBG and the future maps park, it just seems like it cuts off green space....
    OKC needs a very large, full-service convention hotel. The Sheraton doesn't cut it. Hopefully they can get a high-end brand like JW Marriott or Omni.

22. Default Re: Convention Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Village View Post
    From the renderings, though, it looks like there will be a passage between the buildings that will connect the two parks. Hopefully there will be retail or an outdoor patio for the hotel's restaurant or something facing the passage. That will make for a dynamic area connecting the two green spaces.

SouthsideSooner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Has the city expressed willingness to pay a huge subsidy for this project? Even Denver and Dallas had to pony up big time for convention hotels
    I had a conversation with a member of the council recently about this subject and they told me the that the subsidy on this would be smaller than most people seem to think. They told me that they feel like with the location that's available, they've got a great product to sell and that they're getting a lot of attention from some from very impressive names.

They also mentioned that they would be very willing to walk away from the Clayco development if the TIF request didn't become a lot more reasonable...and I quote "you have to keep in mind, we're a pretty fiscally conservative bunch".

It certainly makes me wonder if the 499 Sheridan development was brought in on such a tight budget to free up the TIF dollars to ensure that these other developments happen as envisioned...

Convention center hotel plan moves ahead | NewsOK.com

In documents seeking proposals for the hotel and parking, the city says its priorities include maintaining connections between the area’s parks, including Myriad Botanical Gardens to the north and the new MAPS park to the south.

The city wants a pedestrian-friendly design that promotes walkability downtown while “accommodating further private development and creating a distinctive architectural landmark that captures the identity of Oklahoma City.”

The city says the study indicates a hotel with at least 500 rooms would be necessary.

I think that if some major players are interested, this could be a home run for OKC. I would love to see an Omni type hotel with approximately 30 stories if not higher. I think that is not unreasonable and a 35 story hotel would look oh so good against the Peake for Thunder basketball games on national television. You can't buy that kind of free advertising.

Thread Information