Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL in OKC

Default Re: NFL in OKC

I think one of the selling points for all of this would be the stadium. Not only would this be built for an NFL team to use, but it would offer OKC the chance to bid for the other large sports events. You build a dome/retractable roof stadium you stand a chances at landing other things. If it gets built you don't build it to the minmum but buildit so a team can't say no to the opportunity. Make it nice. Make it big enough
    1. NCAA basketball Final Four
    2. NCAA football Championship game. (And they will probably expand from the 4 team playoffs soon, so we would defiantly be apart of that)
    3. NBA All-Star Games
    4. Super Bowls (OKC would have to continue to grow, and we would have no shot for atleast 10 years because they're already bid out)
    5. Bowl games.
    6. ETC

Quote Originally Posted by bige4ou View Post
    I think one of the selling points for all of this would be the stadium. Not only would this be built for an NFL team to use, but it would offer OKC the chance to bid for the other large sports events. You build a dome/retractable roof stadium you stand a chances at landing other things. If it gets built you don't build it to the minmum but buildit so a team can't say no to the opportunity. Make it nice. Make it big enough
    2. NCAA football Championship game. (And they will probably expand from the 4 team playoffs soon, so we would defiantly be apart of that)
    3. NBA All-Star Games
    4. Super Bowls (OKC would have to continue to grow, and we would have no shot for atleast 10 years because they're already bid out)
    5. Bowl games.
    6. ETC
    Where do I sign up? Geterdone

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bige4ou View Post

3. NBA All-Star Games
    5. Bowl games.
    6. ETC
    These are definitely some good ideas for building a dome or retractable roof stadium. Our biggest concern would be having quality hotel rooms available for such an event. The events you listed require a minimum number of quality hotel rooms available for submitting a bid.

Oklahoma City will need to decide if it wants to build for the future or maintain the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    These are definitely some good ideas for building a dome or retractable roof stadium. Our biggest concern would be having quality hotel rooms available for such an event. The events you listed require a minimum number of quality hotel rooms available for submitting a bid.

Oklahoma City will need to decide if it wants to build for the future or maintain the status quo.
    The more information I see about the various NFL stadium deals currently out there, the more cautious I would be about one being here.

I've stayed out of this discussion forever, but I will finally say it: OKC will NEVER have an NFL team. Sorry, just don't see it, even with how successful the NBA has been here?

Quote Originally Posted by GoOKC1991 View Post
    I've stayed out of this discussion forever, but I will finally say it: OKC will NEVER have an NFL team. Sorry, just don't see it, even with how successful the NBA has been here?
    Did you also predict OKC would never be lucky enough to get a pro basketball team, like the Thunder?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Did you also predict OKC would never be lucky enough to get a pro basketball team, like the Thunder?
    Yes I did. I was wrong. Completely wrong. Could I be wrong on the NFL? Sure, and I would love to be, I love sports. I just don't see it, way more than I never saw the NBA.

In this case, at least, GoOKC1991 is 100% correct. This market can barely sustain one pro franchise. It could never support a second pro franchise, let alone an NFL franchise. Many other cities are way ahead of OKC when it comes to attractiveness for an NFL team.

Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    In this case, at least, GoOKC1991 is 100% correct. This market can barely sustain one pro franchise. It could never support a second pro franchise, let alone an NFL franchise. Many other cities are way ahead of OKC when it comes to attractiveness for an NFL team.
    Like Los Angeles ? lol

OKC will never have an NFL team unless we get about 5 more large corporate HQ's..... just not going to happen in the near future.

I don't think we would be a target market for the NFL right now. Clearly we are not a target market for the NFL right now. In 20 years who knows what will happen.

A successful pro sports franchise is like a cool car. Having one doesn't automatically mean your city is successful, any more than having a Ferrari means you are rich. You can blow all your money on a status symbol, barely afford the thing, and drive yourself right into the poor house. But having one is generaly a sign that you are successful. If you can properly support it, then you're doing very well.

The Thunder have been the most visible indication of the turnaround that OKC has experienced in the last 20 years. In the early 90s having an NBA team would have pushed this city to the breaking point, being unable to maintain it and being a giant source of stress and heartache rather than civic pride. Getting the NFL today would clearly be biting off more than we could chew, but it doesn't mean that it's out of the question for the future. Around the time MAPS 5 or 6 rolls around, if OKC has continued to grow as we have been, and we've got a lot of well established urban neighborhoods, a good public transportation system, a strong economy, etc, then it may be something we want to target.

After all, in 30 years I plan to live in a much bigger house than I do now, and drive a much nicer car. Just because I can't afford to live in Heritage Hills today doesn't mean I never will.

Barely sustaining the Thunder? Seems legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Barely sustaining the Thunder? Seems legit.
    Yah right...... the Thunder are one of 4 teams that have a waiting list for season tickets. I know it wasn't you Jake that made this remark, but sometimes it takes reading it twice before I make a comment.

No disrespect to either side of the argument! That's not my intention.

I'm feeling a little too sassy today. Guess I had too much coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Yah right...... the Thunder are one of 4 teams that have a waiting list for season tickets. I know it wasn't you Jake that made this remark, but sometimes it takes reading it twice before I make a comment.
    It's not only about season ticket revenue. Compare the Thunder's TV revenue with the other title contenders. Not even close. The Thunder doesn't have as big a pool to pull from for sponsorship/support dollars. That directly impacts the team's ability to spend beyond the tax line, a limitation that the team will increasingly find to be a growing hurdle. If you were to add another pro franchise in this market, it dilutes further the available dollars to help support the team. People can keep chasing after the pipe dream of another major pro sports franchise in this market, but I would rather we devote our best resources to giving the current pro franchise the support needed to be a true contender long term.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    I don't think we would be a target market for the NFL right now. Clearly we are not a target market for the NFL right now. In 20 years who knows what will happen.

A successful pro sports franchise is like a cool car. Having one doesn't automatically mean your city is successful, any more than having a Ferrari means you are rich. You can blow all your money on a status symbol, barely afford the thing, and drive yourself right into the poor house. But having one is generaly a sign that you are successful. If you can properly support it, then you're doing very well.

The Thunder have been the most visible indication of the turnaround that OKC has experienced in the last 20 years. In the early 90s having an NBA team would have pushed this city to the breaking point, being unable to maintain it and being a giant source of stress and heartache rather than civic pride. Getting the NFL today would clearly be biting off more than we could chew, but it doesn't mean that it's out of the question for the future. Around the time MAPS 5 or 6 rolls around, if OKC has continued to grow as we have been, and we've got a lot of well established urban neighborhoods, a good public transportation system, a strong economy, etc, then it may be something we want to target.

After all, in 30 years I plan to live in a much bigger house than I do now, and drive a much nicer car. Just because I can't afford to live in Heritage Hills today doesn't mean I never will.
    I really think this is spot on. Nobody can say that the NFL would NEVER happen in OKC. We don't know that just like those who do think we could have a team don't know. We can sit here and talk all we want, but at the end of the day it's going to be somebody with a lot deeper pockets then us decide that it's something they want to do. Just like in the case with the Thunder. OKC did an amazing job when the Hornets came, but had it not been for Clay Bennett and his boys deciding they want to bring the NBA to OKC, we would never have a team. Before any team even thinks about coming there is going to have to be a great stadium to come to. That's the bigger issue first. And I believe that is a possibility in the future.

Aside from Los Angeles, I have not heard any talks of the NFL looking at any other US cities. The focus seems to be on getting a team in London

It's not only about season ticket revenue. Compare the Thunder's TV revenue with the other title contenders. Not even close. The Thunder doesn't have as big a pool to pull from for sponsorship/support dollars. That directly impacts the team's ability to spend beyond the tax line, a limitation that the team will increasingly find to be a growing hurdle. If you were to add another pro franchise in this market, it dilutes further the available dollars to help support the team. People can keep chasing after the pipe dream of another major pro sports franchise in this market, but I would rather we devote our best resources to giving the current pro franchise the support needed to be a true contender long term.

Are you eluding that the Thunder are in the RED ?

Like I said, there won't be another pro franchise for many years.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Are you eluding that the Thunder are in the RED ?

Like I said, there won't be another pro franchise for many years.....
    As far as I have heard, the Thunder are squarely and comfortably in the black. But when you compare them to title contenders, which are generally teams in bigger cities, they probably don't make as much from television revenue. The Thunder are very well managed and are in a very good position.

I'm perfectly happy to sit back and enjoy the Thunder for the next two decades or so. I am in no rush to go out and get another pro franchise. I certainly would not object, however, if one fell into our lap.

Getting the NFL today would clearly be biting off more than we could chew, but it doesn't mean that it's out of the question for the future.
    Point being...argue this thread in 20 years. Not today.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Point being...argue this thread in 20 years. Not today.
    Just keep it kicking around for 20 years. Clay Bennett started sniffing around back in the late 80s trying to get a professional team to come to OKC. This sort of thing takes time. Start planning and preparing for it in the next few years, with no expectation of movement for another 20.

Just keep it kicking around for 20 years. Clay Bennett started sniffing around back in the late 80s trying to get a professional team to come to OKC. This sort of thing takes time. Start planning and preparing for it in the next few years, with no expectation of movement for another 20.
    I'm not arguing about the issue of a team being a possibility in 20 years. I'm talking about bringing this thread back after 20 years cause unless somebody has a little insight with regard to key insight on real dealings for a potential team tomorrow...this thread needs to be locked. It's pointless for us to all give opinions on something now that may or may not be possible in 20 years...

It's like me starting a thread on flying cars...lol.

Blog Entries

The best NBA markets of 2012-13

Top 7

1. Miami Heat
    2. San Antonio Spurs
    3. Los Angeles Lakers
    4. Boston Celtics
    5. Chicago Bulls
    6. Portland Trailblazers
    7. New York Knicks

Significantly better than expected

8. Oklahoma City Thunder
    9. Denver Nuggets
    10. Utah Jazz

Slightly better than expected

11. Dallas Mavericks
    12. Phoenix Suns

Barely better than expected

13. Cleveland Cavaliers
    14. Milwaukee Bucks
    15. Orlando Magic

The worst NBA markets of 2012-13

Barely worse than expected

16. Toronto Raptors
    17. Los Angeles Clippers

Slightly worse than expected

18. Sacramento Kings
    19. Houston Rockets

Significantly worse than expected

20. Golden State Warriors
    21. Memphis Grizzlies
    22. Minnesota Timberwolves
    23. Detroit Pistons

Bottom 7

24. Philadelphia 76ers
    25. Indiana Pacers
    26. Charlotte Bobcats
    27. Atlanta Hawks
    28. New Orleans Hornets
    29. Brooklyn Nets
    30. Washington Wizards

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Links didn't work. Now fixed.

I agree that OKC should not have an NFL team, but it is a stretch IMO to say that they couldn't support another professional team. OKC and Tulsa are close enough that any professional team in OK can draw support from both cities. If people are willing to drive from Tulsa to OKC for a Thunder game on a weeknight and then turn around and drive back, they would definitely make the trek for a game in the middle of the afternoon on a weekend. The two combined metros would add up to be in the neighborhood of 2.3 million people. This is bigger than a market like KC, where I'm from, which is a lot more isolated and the only real city that is close enough that people drive in for games on a consistent basis is Topeka (about 250,000 people). And KC has the NFL, MLB, MLS, and Nascar. The fact is that people in the middle of the country LOVE sports. How many metros of 5 million plus on the coasts have stadiums that are empty on a consistent basis? Short answer, lots. ~2 million people is all you need to support multiple franchises. Look at KC, Cleveland, Cincinnati, etc. Central OK could definitely support another professional team, but that doesn't mean that it should. I'd rather just continue to enjoy what we have.

Thread Information