Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I was disappointed in the Meers Burger but I'm a fan of Nic's and those two burgers are on completely opposite ends of the burger spectrum.... Kind of wish I had tried the Q.
    For me, it's about context. A meersburger, RC cola, and peach cobbler is an unbeatable way to end (and offset, lol) a long day of exploring the refuge.

2. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

A Meer's Burger and Chicken at Eischen's are the same category for me -- Only 'really good' in context of the entire experience. Put either one in a strip mall that requires the food to stand on its own and its just barely 'okay.'

That said, I'll gladly pass on the burger the next time I'm in Meers and instead seek out the beef ribs.

Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Funny that San Diego doesn't have the greatest bbq, but they have beef ribs at most of the bbq restaurants. Harder to find pork ribs, unless you want baby backs.

4. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Well some of the best BBQ in the OKC Metro is about to be coming off this R&O Fat Girl.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1384220_702298616531984_5207370706404892089_n.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	9360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10426694_702298489865330_4007505706745144810_n.jpg 
Views:	632 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	9361

Headed down to Granbury, TX to pick it up Saturday.

Unfortunately for the majority of the OKC Metro.... The City of Moore won't allow me to sell meat out of my back yard.... Sorry... You'll have to take it up with the city.

Well some of the best BBQ in the OKC Metro is about to be coming off this R&O Fat Girl.

Unfortunately for the majority of the OKC Metro.... The City of Moore won't allow me to sell meat out of my back yard.... Sorry... You'll have to take it up with the city.
    BBQEA,
    But there's no law against giving it to me! Call me when you're back in town.
    C. T.

Yes sir, a difficult choice indeed. If only all tough choices could be so win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Yes sir, a difficult choice indeed. If only all tough choices could be so win-win.
    Kevin,
    Actually, I don't make a choice, I rotate when I am in the neighborhood (not often enough I'm afraid), but my preference is Q, so that's what makes it difficult.
    C. T.

My wife is starting her baking business since Colorado has a Cottage Foods Law that allows her to sell some baked goods out of a residential or commercial kitchen. BBQ and many other things are not allowed under that law.

We used to do a few big cooks a year in the Austin/San Antonio area for our Texas based motorcycle forum. A few guys had some good sized trailer rigs, park them in the cul-de-sac and cook all night and made a neighborhood and guests party out of it with about 100+ motorcycles showing up for lunch. It was always a good time and donations were accepted, whether it be monetary or food.

Do you deliver!..lol I need some good BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by okbbqea
    The City of Moore won't allow me to sell meat out of my back yard
    so... how much are tickets to see your backyard? oh... sure, while i'm here i'll take some complimentary bbq! -M

11. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    so... how much are tickets to see your backyard? oh... sure, while i'm here i'll take some complimentary bbq! -M
    You know I've been kicking around the idea of having an OKBBQEA get together and serve BBQ to the people that read my blog and follow me on FB. Only thing stopping me so far is a few logistical and legal issues.

Mostly the legal because I don't want to charge people, so it will be more like a picnic, but I would gladly accept tips to help cover my meat costs. Then there are the HD issues since it's really just me inviting people to come have a picnic and I'll let them have some BBQ for showing up. I'm not providing sides so people would have to bring their own if they wanted them.

Something that to me seems like it should be so simple but I have a sneaky feeling that due to the litigous nature of people and government red tape might be a difficult undertaking when I just want to put some smiles on peoples faces with some tasty BBQ.

You know I've been kicking around the idea of having an OKBBQEA get together and serve BBQ to the people that read my blog and follow me on FB. Only thing stopping me so far is a few logistical and legal issues.

Mostly the legal because I don't want to charge people, so it will be more like a picnic, but I would gladly accept tips to help cover my meat costs. Then there are the HD issues since it's really just me inviting people to come have a picnic and I'll let them have some BBQ for showing up. I'm not providing sides so people would have to bring their own if they wanted them.

Something that to me seems like it should be so simple but I have a sneaky feeling that due to the litigous nature of people and government red tape might be a difficult undertaking when I just want to put some smiles on peoples faces with some tasty BBQ.
    Very generous Gesture by you, however you are probably right in that something would cause it to be more trouble than you could imagine. That being said.. I'd totally be there..lol

I don't think anyone would make an issue out of something like this.

I've had massive New Year's Eve parties at my house (100+ people) where I provide everything and ask people to chip in $20 or so. Never had an issue, and I live in a very strict community.

14. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't think anyone would make an issue out of something like this.

I've had massive New Year's Eve parties at my house (100+ people) where I provide everything and ask people to chip in $20 or so. Never had an issue, and I live in a very strict community.
    Well I don't want to have it at my house. I don't want 100 strangers in my bathroom... LOL

I was considering a public park which is why I use the word picnic.

I would probably cook the meat at home and bring it to the site in cambros to serve. I know the City of Moore allows citizens to use the pavillions at the parks free of charge for the first two hours. So that would help me with the cost.

I've held class reunion picnics at OKC Parks (just paid a small amount to reserve a covered pavilion) and charged people.

I just wouldn't post any signs about charging and not give the impression you are trying to solicit walk-up business, which I'm sure you don't want anyway.

You really shouldn't have any problems doing this.

16. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Yeah... Definitely not a business thing... Not saying it couldn't turn into one but..... I get a lot of comments on the pictures I post and I really do appreciate all the feedback I get from people about my project and I would like to give them a chance to try what I think is really great Q.

There is a group down in Texas called T & E Meat Club that is doing something similar to what I have in mind.

You should open a restaurant!

18. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    You should open a restaurant!
    I probably should and I won't say I never will but I do have a very stable and secure job and I'm at a point in my life that the thought of taking risks isn't as appealing as it once was.

If I can ever do it on my own terms it will happen but I will need to have the cash to startup and operate on for 1 year before I would pull the trigger on anything. I won't make a risky business even riskier by starting it in debt.

I'm about 3 years from having my home paid for and then I'm totally debt free. At that point I'll have some decisions to make about what I want to do with the cash that was going towards the house.

Ray's is tied as my second favorite Q in Norman. I've gotten where I really don't have a specific preference between Ray's and Vans. I am happy when I leave either. I still prefer the Q at Sooner Legends at SW24th and Lindsey to either of the others. My lovely, who cares for Q less than I, speaks well of Sooner Legends tex-mex food in case your group needs an option for some folk. I've had a bite and it was good, but if I am in there, my order will be Q based.

It's been quite a while since I have other Q in Norman, as any one of these three definitely makes me happy and there is (my opinion) a huge gap between these three and the rest of the Norman Places. In fact, my #4 these days in Big Daddy's Smokehouse in Noble and not one of the other Norman stops.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    In fact, my #4 these days in Big Daddy's Smokehouse in Noble and not one of the other Norman stops.
    Kevin,
    Good choice, Big Daddy's is pretty good. Tough to choose between the CFS down the street and Q at Big Daddy's though.
    C. T.

As long as you invite everyone on your block, you won't run into any trouble. People are less likely to complain to the city if they were invited, even if they did not attend.

Another issue would be your anonymity! You could hire / persuade a fill-in.

23. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Another issue would be your anonymity! You could hire / persuade a fill-in.
    LOL.... True... Not that I've remained totally anonymous..... Quite a few competition cooks and judges know who I am but they respect that I'm trying to keep my identity low key. I have also acted as a consultant to a couple of people looking to open up new Q-raunts in OKC.

Originally this project wasn't supposed to be about me being anonymous.... My original plan was to find fellow Q-addicts but unlike groups like AA. We were going to embrace our BBQ addiction and meet monthly at various Q-raunts and eat and talk about BBQ.

Unfortunately it never seemed to take off and the few people that started it with me faded away after a few months. So then I turned it into the project that it is today. Sneaking into Q-raunts and eating and writing about it until I get caught or killed... lol .....And I'm pretty sure a few owners have wanted to kill me, ;+)

Last week our firm had an event in Tulsa at Burn Co. and it was the best BBQ I have ever had. No wonder people line up there every day at 10 am. Worth the drive.

25. Default Re: Best BBQ in Okc metro.

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    Last week our firm had an event in Tulsa at Burn Co. and it was the best BBQ I have ever had. No wonder people line up there every day at 10 am. Worth the drive.
    I haven't made it to every Q-raunt in Oklahoma yet but I would definitely say BurnCo is my favorite in Oklahoma at this point in time. I refer to the guys at BurnCo as the Rock Stars of Oklahoma BBQ.

BurnCo was the first Oklahoma Q-raunt to earn my 3-Hour Award.... Which means I would drive at least 3 hours to eat there again.

I have a 1-Hour Award, 3-Hour Award, and 6-Hour Award.

Thread Information