Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

Default Re: OKC Zoo

Glad to hear they're working towards a resolution. I figured it was something along those lines. Frustrating but hopefully not indefinite.

Noticed they got rid of the condor exhibit completely within the last few weeks. Are the birds being relocated?

I believe that was the oldest structure at the zoo. Over 100 years old and was relocated from Wiley Post Park.

4. Default Re: OKC Zoo

May is the opening of the new Asia area. Can't wait to see that!

5. Default Re: OKC Zoo

I went to the Tulsa Zoo this weekend for the first time since I was a child. We should be very happy with and proud of the Zoo we have here. The difference in quality is almost indescribable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I went to the Tulsa Zoo this weekend for the first time since I was a child. We should be very happy with and proud of the Zoo we have here. The difference in quality is almost indescribable.

Glad to her you make the comparison; this is why the 1/8 cent permanent sales tax funds our zoo receives is so important. We've all seen the Zoo's transformation; they have used those capital improvements funds wisely.

7. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Just returned from Mathis Brothers where I renewed our family membership to the Zoo. Discounts continue through May.

They've changed the membership plans up a bit.

We used to get the Family Plus plan. I think it was $90 and you got 3 adults and 5 kids who could go in each day. You also got about $30 in a gift card you could use in the gift store or for food.

They no longer offer the Family Plus plan and no plans offer a gift card any longer.

The only thing close to that is a plan that allows for 6 total people to enter the zoo (children or adults). That's $105.

We just decided to do the regular family membership - $69 and gets two adults and 5 kids. Oh, and I got a free giraffe stuffed animal for the grandbaby.

I was told they don't do the gift cards any longer because they've subcontracted out the food vendors and couldn't reach an agreement with them to take the gift cards are a reduced value to them.

Still a good value, but not nearly as good for us as it used to be.

Anyone know if the Sanctuary Asia exhibit is fully open yet?

I was at the zoo on Saturday and can report that Sanctuary Asia is not open yet. The target date is "Summer 2018". It appears as if there is still a ton of work to do to get this thing open in time. There was even work being done on Saturday when I was there. The buildings look close to being done but the landscaping has a long way to go.

10. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    I was at the zoo on Saturday and can report that Sanctuary Asia is not open yet. The target date is "Summer 2018". It appears as if there is still a ton of work to do to get this thing open in time. There was even work being done on Saturday when I was there. The buildings look close to being done but the landscaping has a long way to go.
    Sounds like "May" has slid back. Perhaps this weekend?

It would be really nice if it was open by Monday for Memorial Day zoo trips.

Dropping the gift card due to incompatibility with the food vendors is a bummer. But as a whole, I think the new vendor has been a great success, and the food is a lot better than it was a few years ago.

Reading through the last Trust minutes, I noticed that it looked like they leased out the park across the lake to the Girl Scouts for them to build out a park for activities and camps.

Zoo will be taking bids for a new Galapagos Tortoise Exhibit estimated at $600K.

It will consist of one open air habitat at approx. 1,200 SF with a visitor path that runs along the side of the new tortoise holding building. The building will be approx. 845 SF.

Taking up pRt of the children’s zoo? Looks like it would replace some of the wood/grass section and the sand playground area there.

Any word on Expedition Asia opening...soon?

17. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Any word on Expedition Asia opening...soon?
    We were there this weekend and were told end of this month.

18. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    We were there this weekend and were told end of this month.
    Did everything look almost done?

We're a Zoofriends family and we received some surveys from the zoo last week asking what parts of the zoo would I be most interested in seeing developed next and what areas of the zoo need to be improved the most. It also asked how often we visited the zoo, which exhibit was our favorite. What animals we'd like to see at the zoo.

The areas the zoo is considering adding and it asked me to rank them was:

New Sea Lion Exhbit
    Penguin Exhbit
    Ropes Course
    New Reptile House
    Conservation Breeding Center

Seems like they're trying to decide where to put small pieces of money for the biggest benefit to visitors. Still curious what the status on things like an all new aquatics center is.

I really wish they would expand upon the aquatics area, even if it was just giant aquariums filled with exotic fish. Would LOVE to see some sharks. Let's get a Great White!!! lol

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tyeomans View Post
    I really wish they would expand upon the aquatics area, even if it was just giant aquariums filled with exotic fish. Would LOVE to see some sharks. Let's get a Great White!!! lol
    Seconded. They need a new Aquaticus!

22. Default Re: OKC Zoo

My recommendation:

1) New Sea Lion Exihbit

2) Penguin Exhibit
    tie 3) New Reptile House
    tie 3) Conservation Breeding Center

Here is my list, in this order. I dropped the ropes, sorry - not a zoo function. I agree with the others that the Aquatics should be expanded and/or re-purposed into some sort of aquarium type function full of exotic and large fish. If this is not in the cards, then refresh the Sea Lion exhibit and build a new Penguin Exhibit (they sort of could be tied together maybe). I have the other two tied but the one in worst condition should probably be the true 3.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

A new aquarium area would be nice. Something that could compete against the Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks would be great, and provide a lot more "bang for the buck" with all of the other zoo exhibits. Large scale aquariums seem to be going strong right now.

Penguins are a fun exhibit and are currently at Tulsa and Wichita (Sedgwick County) Zoos, so it only seems appropriate a zoo of OKC's size, should have them.

24. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    Did everything look almost done?
    Actually did not get over to that part of the zoo, just heard it on the tram.

Quote Originally Posted by tyeomans View Post
    Great White sharks can't be kept in captivity

https://www.iflscience.com/plants-an...n-an-aquarium/

Thread Information