Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon Construction Cam

Default Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

I guess the URL did not post last message.

Quote Originally Posted by Planman View Post
    Here are more pics. We saw them set a cage of re-bar that was 100 ft. long in a pier hole yesterday. I think this may be the first of the piers for the actual tower. I will try to get a pic of them setting one.
    They have been placing these rebar cages for weeks. They have probably installed close to 30 of them by now. They install them, cement (or concrete) them in, let it dry, then cover it up with dirt so they can drive on it. They will dig the top of them out when they are ready to pour the foundation.

Hi Planman, The pics are not viewable for some reason. The first one that you posted shows fine just the other ones since have not. Thanks for your efforts.

I have noticed that this morning where as normally we have had two and even three drilling rigs running in the area of the actual tower for weeks now, that this morning for the first time we only have the large blue one and there is only one remaining. So I am hopeful that we are almost there as far as the piers are concerned for the tower. Could be wishful thinking on my part though.

That was the largest seeen by us yet. Are you on site? The photos are on this site in my albums.

Thanks for the info on the location of the album, great pictures by the way! I am not on the site so rely on the construction cam to get my views, however I am somewhat of a design, development and construction junkie and so monitor the web cam way more than I should. multilple times an hour...yeah.

As far as the larger steel reinforcing that is being set as of late, I think the many ones that we have been seeing are for the internal columns and that the larger much deeper ones are the ones that are running around the perimeter of the tower. The larger ones I noticed are always on the outside of what I assume is the perimeter columns as indicated on the floor plans that have been posted in the other construction thread. I just captured one going in this morning at 8:45 AM. It makes sense from a structural standpoint that the ones on the exterior stand to have to resist the greatest loads laterally as well as vertically. So it stands to reason that they would require a greater enbedment length in the bedrock than the ones that are required to carry more of the dead loads and are more column codependant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	This morning 0845 taller piers.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	503.2 KB 
ID:	397  

Quote Originally Posted by OKC@heart View Post
    Hi Planman, The pics are not viewable for some reason. The first one that you posted shows fine just the other ones since have not. Thanks for your efforts.

I have noticed that this morning where as normally we have had two and even three drilling rigs running in the area of the actual tower for weeks now, that this morning for the first time we only have the large blue one and there is only one remaining. So I am hopeful that we are almost there as far as the piers are concerned for the tower. Could be wishful thinking on my part though.
    I think they are done drilling for the piers. Site is clear and blue driller is off to the side.

I would love it if they were but suspect thery are just excavating the rest of the site

Quote Originally Posted by ndmoore View Post
    I think they are done drilling for the piers. Site is clear and blue driller is off to the side.
    I would love it if they were but suspect thery are just excavating the rest of the site
    5pm and they're still off site. I'd suspect ndmoore to be correct. Does this mean that they'll be digging deeper soon to reveal the tops of the columns for eventual foundation?

Here are Planman's images:

The tops of the piers are being uncovered!

Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    They have been placing these rebar cages for weeks. They have probably installed close to 30 of them by now. They install them, cement (or concrete) them in, let it dry, then cover it up with dirt so they can drive on it. They will dig the top of them out when they are ready to pour the foundation.
    2-7-10

Devon Update:

The drilled piers for the tower were completed last Friday. Fifty nine piers were installed, the longest being drilled 135 feet below the dirt bench that the drill rigs sit on. Pier diameters were 60" and the shafts were filled with concrete with a maximum compressive strength of 12,000 pounds per square inch. The big blue drill rig is a Bauer BG-40 drill. Excavation to expose the pier tops will begin this week. The excavation depth is about 17' from the bench elevation and about 32' from street elevation.

There are approximately 580 additional drilled piers to install that will support portions of the Devon structure. While this work is being done, a 12' thick reinforced concrete pier cap will be poured on top of the 59 tower piers. After that, it's straight up with the tower.

The concrete walls around the perimeter of the site consist of overlapping drilled and concreted shafts (called "secant" shafts) with steel beams in some of them. Once excavation of the dirt started, the inside face of the secants was sprayed with a form of concrete called "shotcrete". The shotcrete is used as a subsurface for waterproofing material prior to forming the perimeter walls and pouring the wall concrete. In areas where the excavation is over
    16' +/- deep, the secant walls are laterally supported with earth anchors called "tiebacks" which keep the walls from falling into the excavation. The tiebacks are drilled outside the perimeter walls and consist of 6" diameter shafts that are filled with multi-strand steel cables and filled ith grout (cement and water). Once the grout hardens, the strands are tensioned to a specific load and locked off against the inside face of the secant wall.

It is so awesome to see the steel reinforcing exposed!!! The weather is killing me though! I know that they will do all they can even in the rain when possible, but sheesh!! I am hoping for a dry spell for a while this spring (at least until they get the foundation poured)

Wow...can see the tops of the piers now. Even with the snow coming down.

RWB - thanks for the information. That's awesome to get to understand exactly what they are doing and why. Much appreciated!

RWB or Insider,
    You seem to be the persons to know.
    I presume a tower crane will come soon? If so, where might it be placed?

Curiously,

Cam Junkie #57

Thanks for the update RWB. What is your role in this project? I am suprised that the pier cap is that shallow. I would have expected a much thicker mat type foundation that the reinforcing would be tied into, from which the vertical structure would spring. Do you have any idea how much this weather is going to delay the prep in forming the pier cap? The site looks pretty soupy right now and the weather doesn't look good for a few days. I know that the moisture wouldn't effect the concrete, rather it is an issue of getting vehicles in and out of the site, ie. dump trucks etc..wheeled rather than tracked. I appreciate the detail in your post earlier.

Smile Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

Thanks RWB for your input. That was awesome! Keep posting.

17. Default Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

...I am suprised that the pier cap is that shallow. I would have expected a much thicker mat type foundation that the reinforcing would be tied into, from which the vertical structure would spring...
    You thought a 12 FOOT thick reinforced concrete pier cap sounds shallow? I'm surely no expert in this type of construction, but that sounds like an awful lot of mud to me. When you consider that it ties to nearly five dozen 60" DIAMETER piers that go more than 100 feet deep... ....wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    You thought a 12 FOOT thick reinforced concrete pier cap sounds shallow? I'm surely no expert in this type of construction, but that sounds like an awful lot of mud to me. When you consider that it ties to nearly five dozen 60" DIAMETER piers that go more than 100 feet deep... ....wow...
    HaHaha!! Yeah I am going to have to chock that one up to a serious case of the Mondays brain. Thanks Urbanized for calling me out on this, when I first read it I could have sworn that I read 12" and I thought to myself..there is no way that can be! (of course it couldn't) I should have spent the time to re-read the origninal post. That will teach me to quickly post while in the middle of doing other tasks at work! And for the record I had no problem with the 59 5' diameter piers going 100' it was an unbraced length issue being tied together with a 12" pier cap that caused my consternation. And well you see with 12 (feet) I have no concern, other than the fact that I somehow mis read the " or ' designation. You gotta love Mondays!

Ahem...12' (feet) sounds much more appropriate for the pier cap. All is right with the world!

19. Default Re: Devon Tower Construction Cam!

Hah! Yeah, I don't think the thing will be blowing over in the wind...

It's alright, OKC@Heart. When I read it, I first read 12 (inches) as well. Gotta love "bad case of the Mondays"!

There was just an accident on the parking garage site - a large pillar was knocked over as well as a slab - don't know if there was anyone under it, but may wanna keep the workers in your thoughts and prayers.

Oh Crap...That is exactly a sites worst nightmare...I sure hope serious injury was avoided somehow...those columns are huge on the west side expansion. does anyone know how or what happened? Thoughts and prayers for all involved injured or witnesses alike. Those moments never leave you.

There are two images of the damaged area of the garage on the other Devon Construction thread. Anytime there are large concrete structural components collapsing it is hard to classify the accident as small as was done in the other post. I sure hope for a miracle as far as the crew who were on site at the time. It looks like there was some significant damage based on the images from Planman posted above. It looks like the Library escaped undamaged, although that column came awfully close.

In regards to the cam shot...not a single work site light on. Did they suspend work due to weather (which is lame compared to what it was forecasted to be) or due to the west side accident?

The Tower Pier Caps have not been un-covered yet. The pier caps you currently see are mostly old pier caps. The two Tower Cranes will be positioned east and west of the tower. Installation of the piers for the tower cranes started today, but was delayed by the weather. Installation of the first tower crane will likely occur within the next two weeks.

Thread Information