Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 106 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202166 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Nope. They have radar simulation programs for that.

The FAA does have a fleet of jets and turboprop aircraft; but they are not used for ATC training. They are used to test radio navigation aids when they are installed or maintenance performed on them. They have some based in OKC, and another fleet based in Atlantic City.

The trainer jets are to move pilots in the Air Force up out of turboprop trainers into jets. Turbine engines are a completely different world of flying, so these are essentially enough room for 2 pilots and that's about it. There's a little room in the back for a few seats.
    Gotcha. I recall seeing a grey Learjet or something similar flying around a lot when I was doing a few road construction projects around WWRA. Would that have been a radio test plane?

Was poking through airport trust meeting agendas (haven't done that too much lately)

United should be moving their ticket counter by Alaska in August.

The North portion of the Portland Ave relocation should be given the notice to proceed by September. The south portion is open to traffic.

Found this:

It's a breakdown of estimated costs to the airlines.

Alaska has the highest cost per passenger at $14.97 (estimated at 22,800 enplanements per year), while American has the lowest at $5.43.

There is definitely an economy of scale not being met, when you have a lease only generating revenue for 1 hour a day.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    And they probably hide it in the WalMart underground tunnels at night.

What is it like living so close to the airport? Do you get to where the sound of aircraft is like industrial noise to a worker and you pay it no attention?
    Sorry took so long to reply. I have been out of town for awhile on business and just now catching up. We get very few planes that fly over us and they climb so quickly after taking off that rarely do we hear them. We are catty corner from the airport so really too close for them to fly over and turn when landing so no planes landing fly over. The trainer jet and the big weekend military planes on weekends are really the only ones we hear. I moved here from NW 21 and Robinson and I hear planes a lot less than I heard the police chopper flying over.

Reading another thread about Edmond buying a statue from Houston stadium being torn down, I was reminded of the modernist wall bronze sculpture that graced the east wall of the ticket level before the last renovation of the airport. It wasn't all that special IMO, very much in the vein of mid-century art IIRC, but I always looked at it when at the OKC airport. The art historian in me wonders what happened to it. Sold? Donated? Scraped? Original artist? So special I can't find any photos of it.

There was an interesting conference room at the airport too that made some architectural news a few decades ago. There was a column off to the side of the room that was made to look like landing gear by adding tires on each side, and the ceiling was made to look somewhat like a wing, as if the conference table was on the tarmac under a wing of a plane. I saw it in the news, was in it for a meeting once, and figured it was demolished during the last renovation. Have wondered if it's still there.

Was poking through airport trust meeting agendas (haven't done that too much lately)

United should be moving their ticket counter by Alaska in August.

The North portion of the Portland Ave relocation should be given the notice to proceed by September. The south portion is open to traffic.

Found this:

It's a breakdown of estimated costs to the airlines.

Alaska has the highest cost per passenger at $14.97 (estimated at 22,800 enplanements per year), while American has the lowest at $5.43.

There is definitely an economy of scale not being met, when you have a lease only generating revenue for 1 hour a day.
    Where does the South portion go to. I know it starts at SW104th, but I thought it had been blocked off at SW89th.

Completely Random Question of the Day:

Does anyone know how to get in touch with parking services? As in..the covered "extended stay" parking garage? I have a significant overcharge dispute with my companies AMEX credit card, that I used for paying for my vehicles week long stay in the garage. I have contacted AMEX, and they have given me all the info that is provided on billing.

ABM Parking- AMP07797 They list a phone number as 405-680-3250 (But it is disconnected) I have searched online, and find ABM services at that location..yet anyone who answers the phone has no idea what I'm talking about, and say that they do not have any affiliation with the parking garage. So, I've been running in circles, just trying to find out who to call, to discuss. Anyone have any info? Seems like everyone posting in this thread is knowledgable, in all things Will Rogers.

abm parking 316-3250

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    abm parking 316-3250

Thank you!! OKCTalk, comes through again.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    Thank you!! OKCTalk, comes through again.
    Your welcome, I sent off your fax you requested, if you didn't receive it or have any other questions please give us a call back anytime.

Nm

11. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

I know this has probably been asked before, but as an aviation enthusiast is it alright to go spotting on the two-level hourly parking garage? Do I have to call ahead and let someone know that I am going to do some spotting for a few hours? I am totally ok with doing that, I've been wanting to go spot at the airport for some time now but I back out due to fear of being arrested by airport police. I know people spot from that location because I see photos being uploaded regularly to either Jetphotos.net or Airliners.net. Also, I do not want to cause any trouble out of something as simple as watching/photographing planes, any feedback is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    I know this has probably been asked before, but as an aviation enthusiast is it alright to go spotting on the two-level hourly parking garage? Do I have to call ahead and let someone know that I am going to do some spotting for a few hours? I am totally ok with doing that, I've been wanting to go spot at the airport for some time now but I back out due to fear of being arrested by airport police. I know people spot from that location because I see photos being uploaded regularly to either Jetphotos.net or Airliners.net. Also, I do not want to cause any trouble out of something as simple as watching/photographing planes, any feedback is appreciated.
    call the airport and speak to administration about this 405-316-3200

13. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

^Thank you Jesseda, appreciate your help!

The airport always had a beef with me.

I used to take pictures from the airport parking garage and they would always come up and bother me.

You are not breaking the law, as it is public property and photography on public property is 100% legal.

It is actually against the law for them to ask you to leave.

However, I have never defended that position because of the steroid raging police officers who come up are quite intimidating. It's not worth going to jail for.

Here in Portland, they encourage people to come to the airport to watch planes! OKC hasn't grasped the concept of freedom yet.

The airport always had a beef with me.

I used to take pictures from the airport parking garage and they would always come up and bother me.

You are not breaking the law, as it is public property and photography on public property is 100% legal.

It is actually against the law for them to ask you to leave.

However, I have never defended that position because of the steroid raging police officers who come up are quite intimidating. It's not worth going to jail for.

Here in Portland, they encourage people to come to the airport to watch planes! OKC hasn't grasped the concept of freedom yet.

Back when jets started flying into OKC in the early '60's, just north of the runway was a field of cars with people sitting
    around watching the planes coming and going. Especially on Sundays....over 50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    [/B]

Back when jets started flying into OKC in the early '60's, just north of the runway was a field of cars with people sitting
    around watching the planes coming and going. Especially on Sundays....over 50 years ago.
    There used to be the area along Portland Ave, then they removed the gravel and had the police patrol it to make sure no one watched planes from there.

im not sure when the airport's attitude towards friendly observation and photography of airplanes changed. I've had numerous conversations with the airport (including some in person meetings) and the final result of those is always "that it is illegal to photograph airplanes at the airport".

The only way to correct this would be a civil rights lawsuit, and I don't have the money to back one of those.

Despite what the airport says, there is no law in any city state or federal law book prohibiting photography of commercial, civil, or military aircraft from public property. When they force you to leave they are violating your rights.

I flew out of Charlotte about a month ago and one of their runways had a small hill overlooking it - their must have been 50 to 75 cars parked out there. People had lawn chairs, bbq grills, lawn games, etc... It was like a big tailgate party watching planes take off. There were photographers of every conceivable level.

The Airport Observation Park at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport | Southeastern Traveler - Travel Photography & Blog by Jason Barnette

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I flew out of Charlotte about a month ago and one of their runways had a small hill overlooking it - their must have been 50 to 75 cars parked out there. People had lawn chairs, bbq grills, lawn games, etc... It was like a big tailgate party watching planes take off. There were photographers of every conceivable level.

The Airport Observation Park at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport | Southeastern Traveler - Travel Photography & Blog by Jason Barnette

Here in Portland they encourage people to come out and stand on the parking garage and take pictures and learn about aviation.

Miami has holes cut out of their fence line for photographers to stick camera lenses through the fence.

Fort Lauderdale has a dedicated area with a loudspeaker broadcasting the tower frequency to people watching planes by the fence.

Dallas has an observation area also with the tower frequency on broadcast.

But somehow OKC is much more of a security risk than these major aviation hubs.

PHX has an awesome little parking lot on the NE end of runway 26/8 and it's right across from where most planes touch down, great spot.

20. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Vancouver has an actual spotting park (complete with scale runways that light up for the children and other simple exhibits) located at the end of its main Souh runway. You are literally right at the end of the runway, planes take off right over you (big international flag widebodies, drool). In fact, there is a little suburb of a few hundred houses also near this park. The second parallel North runway also has a spotting area though not official; it is now an upscale outlet but you can certainly still spot there and just about anywhere else on Sea Island (home to the airport) with no problems at all.

Seattle airport used to have a public viewing area at the runways but this was removed when they added a third one. Today there isn't an official viewing area that I know of but you can spot at the garage or anywhere you want with out trouble.

I too am a bit surprised with OKC's apparent stance on spotting. Considering OKC has a bit of tradition with aviation and is the only 'world' airport - you'd think they'd recognize the potential tourist appeal of the facility.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

21. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Before the remodel OKC used to have an observation tower that you accessed from inside the terminal. Of course back then even non-passengers could go past the security checkpoint (heck at one time there wasn't even a checkpoint) and walk all the way to the gates to see off friends and family, meet them coming off if the jetway, etc.

22. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Before the remodel OKC used to have an observation tower that you accessed from inside the terminal. Of course back then even non-passengers could go past the security checkpoint (heck at one time there wasn't even a checkpoint) and walk all the way to the gates to see off friends and family, meet them coming off if the jetway, etc.
    I remember going up there fairly often when seeing off family & friends; it had coin operated binoculars, if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    As one of the people whose photos you've probably seen, here's my experience (which reminds me, I need to stop being lazy and upload some more...)

I usually park in the hourly section then walk up to the 4th floor and spot from there when I need to be at the garage. I don't usually go up to the top level unless there's an obstruction I need to clear to get a good picture, but then I go back down once I get it. The one time I did hang out on the top level, someone came up and asked me to go because they were concerned about cars being broken into. It's been a long while since I've had any employees ask me what I was doing; I've seen many drive by, slow down to see what I was doing, then go on their merry way. I've never been approached by the police while in the garage.

If you happen to be interested in any of the other sites around the area for spotting, I can give a bit of advice there, too. (And while I'm on the topic, the realignment of Portland is a big pain in the tailplane when it comes to spotting.)

24. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I remember going up there fairly often when seeing off family & friends; it had coin operated binoculars, if I remember correctly.
    Same here, and I think you're right. Also, we need to grab a beer soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Same here, and I think you're right. Also, we need to grab a beer soon.
    I really wish I had been around to visit that.

1990s-2000s aviation is fascinating to me, even though I was born during the time, I wasn't old enough to appreciate it like would today.

Thread Information