Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Devon Park (Softball Hall of Fame)

Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Really does not seem like they're even going to come close to finishing the pedestrian walkway by next weekend. Pretty disappointing considering they started over two months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Really does not seem like they're even going to come close to finishing the pedestrian walkway by next weekend. Pretty disappointing considering they started over two months ago.
    i think it will be done by next week

Looks like they completed the new paved pathway between the Remington Park parking area and the softball stadium.

A friend just sent me a photo of it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Looks like they completed the new paved pathway between the Remington Park parking area and the softball stadium.

A friend just sent me a photo of it today.
    completed it on tuesday ... but because of the rain didn't finish all of the sod

glad they were able to finish it ..

Picture of it from the Mayor: https://twitter.com/davidfholt/statu...30707892572163

Welcome to all the teams and their fans! Please enjoy Year Two of our new stadium, as well as some new amenities, including a new trail to Remington Park.

Originally posted this in the WCWS thread, but realized it was more appropriate here:

I attended both Friday sessions, sitting in the outfield for the early games. I was noticing that the view of the scoreboard is almost entirely obstructed within those outfield stands, and they never replaced the small scoreboard that was atop the old awning extending from the press box before the big expansion. The outfield scoreboard looks to be the same one they've had out there for maybe 20 years and panels on the LED board are starting to fade, and I'm betting replacement parts aren't availble due to age. Up close, the board looks really beat up and the video display can't handle the sunight very well.

I *LOVE* HOF stadium and how we've worked hard to upgrade it, but I was wondering...Does anyone know if there might be any plans to update that board, and/or put a really basic one on the infield side that is viewable from the outfield seats? Given the amazing popularity of the sport, I'd have to think some company out there would love to grab the PR that would come with tossing a few bucks in the till for a new videoboard/scoreboard combo.....as great as the place is, I think a new scoreboard is becoming a necessity.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Originally posted this in the WCWS thread, but realized it was more appropriate here:

I attended both Friday sessions, sitting in the outfield for the early games. I was noticing that the view of the scoreboard is almost entirely obstructed within those outfield stands, and they never replaced the small scoreboard that was atop the old awning extending from the press box before the big expansion. The outfield scoreboard looks to be the same one they've had out there for maybe 20 years and panels on the LED board are starting to fade, and I'm betting replacement parts aren't availble due to age. Up close, the board looks really beat up and the video display can't handle the sunight very well.

I *LOVE* HOF stadium and how we've worked hard to upgrade it, but I was wondering...Does anyone know if there might be any plans to update that board, and/or put a really basic one on the infield side that is viewable from the outfield seats? Given the amazing popularity of the sport, I'd have to think some company out there would love to grab the PR that would come with tossing a few bucks in the till for a new videoboard/scoreboard combo.....as great as the place is, I think a new scoreboard is becoming a necessity.
    Definitely needs something that is visible for all spectators to see from the fixed permanent seats and the outfield bleachers. You would think there are some national sponsors willing to shell out $4-$5 million for a new scoreboard with their advertising logo, OR > > >

Does this fall within OG&E Energy Field 'Naming Rights' agreement in 2014 to make improvements:

https://ogeenergy.gcs-web.com/news-r...all-fame-field

I'd sure have to think it would. Given the advancements in LED technologies even in just the last few years, a new, state-of-the-art board would seem a natural upgrade in that vein.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I'd sure have to think it would. Given the advancements in LED technologies even in just the last few years, a new, state-of-the-art board would seem a natural upgrade in that vein.
    They need to fix the sound system also. Maybe it's better for the world series but when I was there for games in March it was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    They need to fix the sound system also. Maybe it's better for the world series but when I was there for games in March it was horrible.
    I think the sound system is new with the lighting system, but I won't swear to that. I will agree that the sound was very spotty at the Thursday games I attended. Seemed like it cut out at times, or was perhaps just not a uniform level, not sure.

I actually looked at some old videos of prior championships going back to 2000 and I am pretty sure that's the same board they've had out there to this day. If that's the case, 22 years for an LED board is long overdue for replacement. If that assessment of age is accurate, its a virtual certainty there are no spare parts for those video panels or probably the board itself. I know OU had gotten to the point with the strip boards on the front of the decks that those were old, repurposed, and spares/replacements were no longer available, and the Regents signed a deal to get those replaced.

Gotta believe someone will step up and get the board replaced

Blog Entries

2006... same one now?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	071506 - 010.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	582.2 KB 
ID:	17506

Going Monday OU playing at 11 can't wait. Do have to rant a little bit about KOCO sports. You just had the first ever Ncaa women's softball tournament game ever on ABC. Oklahoma one of the best teams ever in Women's College Softball was playing and you don't have anything about it on your 5pm newscast? Your lead was weather? Really? You all know if it was football you be all over it. I'm not saying need to do major coverage but at least a mention. Maybe it will be better at 6pm.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    2006... same one now?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	071506 - 010.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	582.2 KB 
ID:	17506
    It's generally the same structure but it looks like they may have replaced the numbers with led digits, and the lower message board is gone. The problem now is the LED digits are fading (as LEDs do) and the upper video portion has multiple panels that don't work correctly all the time. In fact, at one point, the whole board went dark during the OU game and I think they had to restart it. And the in-game stats and batter/pitcher info wasn't always there -just a static WCWS image. So I think they have a lot of issues with that board. Even if it was replaced after that photo it's 16 years old and for electronics that's ancient.

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing that with us, SoonerDave. A reminder that we need to continue to upgrade and improve facilities for this outstanding event that has spotlighted Oklahoma City throughout this period.

OU not playing any of the night games so far has hurt the crowds. Once OU played, even with OSU playing right after yesterday the crowd thinned out quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    OU not playing any of the night games so far has hurt the crowds. Once OU played, even with OSU playing right after yesterday the crowd thinned out quite a bit.
    Yep pretty embarrassing for osu fans.

That picture I posted above was from the end of the OSU/Florida game last night.

That game did not go late. It was over around 8:30.

Here are the problems I see with the new format and the games in general. They are getting too long. Both games yesterday were just under 3 hours. They only sold tickets for Saturday as one session. OU played at 2pm OSU started at 6pm. Say you arrive at the ball park at 1:30. The OSU game didn't get over with until 8:30. Not sure how many fans are going to stay a full 7 hours. It's hot and not much shade either until late. I fell like if they keep this format maybe Saturday and Sunday games should be starting at 1 and the night game at 7 and sell two different sets of tickets. The same thing is happening today. I know espn sets times for the games but you almost need to pick and choose what game you want to go see. If I had tickets for today I would of went to the UCLA/Florida and probably left for the Texas game. Monday games are being sold in two different sessions. I kind of feel if your only playing 2 games a day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday they should sale tickets for each game. No one wants to spend 7 hours at any ballpark for that matter. Just my 2 cents.

All that being said Saturday attendance of 12,533 is the largest in #WCWS history!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Yep pretty embarrassing for osu fans.
    The session was completely sold out lol.

Here are the problems I see with the new format and the games in general. They are getting too long. Both games yesterday were just under 3 hours. They only sold tickets for Saturday as one session. OU played at 2pm OSU started at 6pm. Say you arrive at the ball park at 1:30. The OSU game didn't get over with until 8:30. Not sure how many fans are going to stay a full 7 hours. It's hot and not much shade either until late. I fell like if they keep this format maybe Saturday and Sunday games should be starting at 1 and the night game at 7 and sell two different sets of tickets. The same thing is happening today. I know espn sets times for the games but you almost need to pick and choose what game you want to go see. If I had tickets for today I would of went to the UCLA/Florida and probably left for the Texas game. Monday games are being sold in two different sessions. I kind of feel if your only playing 2 games a day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday they should sale tickets for each game. No one wants to spend 7 hours at any ballpark for that matter. Just my 2 cents.

All that being said Saturday attendance of 12,533 is the largest in #WCWS history!!!
    Agree 100 percent. If this is the format they keep, they need to sell game tickets after day 1 and get away from session tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Thanks for sharing that with us, SoonerDave. A reminder that we need to continue to upgrade and improve facilities for this outstanding event that has spotlighted Oklahoma City throughout this period.
    Well the place is fantastic and I don't want to seem nitpicky but that's to me an obvious area where a "final piece" of the upgrade puzzle might fit in. I see some of the new boards at some of the newer college facilities and think OGE could knock that kind of project, ahem, out of the park ����

But you can't have it both ways! you point out that you have to pick and choose which sessions to attend, but that just gets worse if you create more tickets and make people spend more money. Resale tickets are crazy now - decent seats are way over face. I had signed up directly with the NCAA to get notices for early All-Session ticket sales, but never got anything from them. The session ticket format has been around for eons and I doubt that's changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    that is one hell of a picture, great shot

Thread Information