Widgets Magazine
Page 157 of 486 FirstFirst ... 57107152153154155156157158159160161162207257 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,925 of 12137

Thread: Devon Energy Center

1. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Just for reference:

I'll be doing video once or twice a month, probably when more windows are put up.

Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by edcrunk View Post
    Are you sure you wanna test everyone? judging from your avatar... you're not working with much of an IQ either.
    A little late to the party DJ. You probably missed the context so I would withhold comments if I were you.

It is the 21st century, I would think that with the panels exposed to the weather they are using a rust proof materials like aluminum and stainless steel.

Quote Originally Posted by oncendone View Post
    Just confirms my thoughts that they should have brought in a first rate Construction Company, instead of second rate local Flintco. Remember the support pier in the substructure that had to be jackhammered out, the crane that fell over......
    You might want to do some research before you go and slam Flintco. It just so happens that while they are local (Thanks heavens for that) they have an excellent reputation as a first rate quality construction company, as does Holder. What we have seen transpire thus far on the site with the pace that is being kept, and the amount of simultaneous activity that is taking place 24hrs per day is quite astonishing to someone who has seen quite a number of large scale construction sites in my career. The fact that these have been the only incidents that have taken place, with all of the aforementioned is a testament to their attention to detail and level and quality of work. The fact that they are catching their mistakes means that they are following up and looking at everything to mitigate risk and even more extensive set backs. The pier that they jack hammered out way back was a really minor oops and was easily rectified.

Who knows what the issue was with the columns anyway? It could be anything from exposed steel due to spalling, or mix design or a mistake in the size reinforcing steel used on them...its anyones guess until we hear something official (if we ever hear)

Thunder, I will not make fun or belittle you for a question that you ask that is sincere and that you may not be aware regarding, however when you are dismissive and willing to throw the contractor under the bus for a personel conflict issue it is more than just a bit unwise. I am as sorry as anyone that Gene lost his job, and am hopeful that he can stay here and get another great one. If the super that he is mentioned is in fact imbibing on the job he does need to be removed, or at least issued a stern warning with termination as the next step if he ever crosses that line again on the job. But use that as an evidence of the entire company somehow be deficient and sub par is akin to saying that if a sacker at a grocery store ever damaged a product while sacking, and then deciding to sell all of your stock in the company (if you happened to have stock and they were publicly traded) It just makes no sense and is kind of a mob and pitchfork type of reaction, fueled by emotion and very little reason or rationale.

Lets all take a breather and remember why we love coming here...cause this tower is freakin' awesome and is going to be great for Oklahoma City and the state. We are all addicted to its progress and are dissapointed when delays occur since we are all so vested (emotionally) in its day to day progress.

By the way Kinggober you have once again made my day thanks for the fantastic images! I for one hope for an easy fix that is limited for what ever reason to only the two columns that were removed and that we can quickly get back on track. On a project this big a mistake that is caught too late can have devastating consequences. Lets all hope that we can avoid any of those as this beast rises, and that incidents and accidents which will inevitably happen (because it is being constructed by human hands) will be non life threatening and that the safety record may be one more achievement that will be listed when this tower is completed!

5. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by OKC@heart View Post
    Lets all take a breather and remember why we love coming here...cause this tower is freakin' awesome and is going to be great for Oklahoma City and the state.
    Oh hell no! This is for OKC. No one else. Tulsa will never, ever take credit for this. OKC!

Bad concrete? Those two columns were probably came from the same truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Oh hell no! This is for OKC. No one else. Tulsa will never, ever take credit for this. OKC!
    Isn't Flintco based in Tulsa?

8. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Isn't Flintco based in Tulsa?
    OMG Tell me you're joking!

9. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

well, OKC woke up from the 1980's and is carrying the state - as it should, being the largest city and capital. And given OKC is doing very well - So I can see how some might say this project will improve not only the city but also the state.

It seems as though when Tulsa had the ball in the 1970-1980's, they wanted it to only be them and they were separate from anything Oklahoma and especially OKC. But now everything is as it should be, and the largest city is carrying the ball and doing very well - and people are rethinking their opinions about OKC (and Oklahoma).

Im glad the competition is 'over' because that really stalled progress and put the state in an even worse and not quite accurate image. Perhaps when Tulsa comes back, she can be a team player this time - then Oklahoma would really become a progressive state. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Flintco's home office is in Tulsa but they have an OKC office as well as several others nation wide. I looked on their website.

Blog Entries

I am at large construction sites all the time. There are corrections and do-overs perpetually. People who aren't in the business apparently don't have a clue as to what happens on a job site.

Don't bash Flintco...they are nationally respected. To turn this discussion to a OKC Tulsa pi$$ing match is childish. People should know what they are talking about before opening their mouth or typing. If the only "truth" known is one which a single poster on here (who may have an ax to grind with the person who fired him) I would say it is very flimsy indeed. Anyone who thinks a drunken construction supervisor would be tolerated by ANYONE on the site is pretty naive as to how things work. If Gene had any beef and made any comment about it to any of the site safety people it would be thoroughly checked out and dealt with.

12. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I am at large construction sites all the time. There are corrections and do-overs perpetually. People who aren't in the business apparently don't have a clue as to what happens on a job site.

Don't bash Flintco...they are nationally respected. To turn this discussion to a OKC Tulsa pi$$ing match is childish. People should know what they are talking about before opening their mouth or typing. If the only "truth" known is one which a single poster on here (who may have an ax to grind with the person who fired him) I would say it is very flimsy indeed. Anyone who thinks a drunken construction supervisor would be tolerated by ANYONE on the site is pretty naive as to how things work. If Gene had any beef and made any comment about it to any of the site safety people it would be thoroughly checked out and dealt with.
    Not to mention the fact that a poster on here feels that local construction companies aren't qualified. Man, talk about undermining credibility to Oklahoma. How is a local firm ever going to gain this type of experience if they don't build large-scale construction projects such as Devon.

And, like Rover emphazised, there are corrections and do-overs on large scale sites all the time. A couple of episodes of 'Build It Bigger' should be enough to enlighten people to the challenges faced on these types of projects. At a supertall project in Shanghai, several corrections had to be made to some large fittings so that they can be installed.

If the two columns were jack-hammered away, there may have been a problem with the mixture. The fact that they caught the problem so quickly should tell you that each column is thoroughly inspected before the form is poured. I asked my father about the columns since he poured concrete for years. If there is a problem with the mixture, it will cure in a way that fractures will form. Any number of factors can cause a mixture to go bad. But the again, it also may have not been the mixture.

Either way, the problem is being fixed now instead of down the road where it would have caused major structural damage. I can tell you first hand that people on this job site don't f**k around.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post

The Voice of Reason--quite refreshing. Thank you, Rover.

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    Not to mention the fact that a poster on here feels that local construction companies aren't qualified. Man, talk about undermining credibility to Oklahoma. How is a local firm ever going to gain this type of experience if they don't build large-scale construction projects such as Devon.

And, like Rover emphazised, there are corrections and do-overs on large scale sites all the time. A couple of episodes of 'Build It Bigger' should be enough to enlighten people to the challenges faced on these types of projects. At a supertall project in Shanghai, several corrections had to be made to some large fittings so that they can be installed.

If the two columns were jack-hammered away, there may have been a problem with the mixture. The fact that they caught the problem so quickly should tell you that each column is thoroughly inspected before the form is poured. I asked my father about the columns since he poured concrete for years. If there is a problem with the mixture, it will cure in a way that fractures will form. Any number of factors can cause a mixture to go bad. But the again, it also may have not been the mixture.

Either way, the problem is being fixed now instead of down the road where it would have caused major structural damage. I can tell you first hand that people on this job site don't f**k around.
    So, Dolese sent an inferior batch to the jobsite? Another example of a local bunch that tries to get by with the least effort?

15. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

So, Dolese sent an inferior batch to the jobsite? Another example of a local bunch that tries to get by with the least effort?
    No, sometimes a batch can go bad. It happens. It gets inspected and they are fixing the problem. Of the thousands of cubic feet of good concrete has been poured at the site and again you want to run the locals into the ground. Here in Texas the same thing happened in Houston about halfway up the tower. So are you saying that a Houston bunch is trying to get by with the least effort?

Or how about a section of I-45 in The Woodlands where a highway contractor screwed up and built a section of the highway a few inches off in elevation, leaving a large dip in the freeway that had to be shaved down a year later? I can go on and on about the screwups that happen in Texas on a weekly basis.

If you don't know the specifics of the industry, there is no room for comment. And, as I said, we don't know exactly what happened. It could be anything. At least they are fixing the problem by a do-over rather than the band-aid solution that the contractor used on I-45 that caused motorists to bottom out at 60 mph. Let's quit the "every place else is superior to Oklahoma" bit. The song is old and worn out.

^^I know your not implying that Oklahomans arent hard wokers?because that would be a load of bs!

I remember following 1 wtc's construction that there was a batch of bad concrete they poured into the core and it took them several weeks to jackhammer the bad concrete away. So if it was bad concrete, it could have been worse.

Boston. Big Dig. 'Nuff Sed.

Blog Entries

People shouldn't make judgmental comments about things of which they are ignorant. Most have absolutely no clue about construction and what goes on to make these projects go.

Blog Entries

I was on a large job in Beijing awhile back being done by one of the world's largest and most competent contractors and there were chunks of concrete that had fallen off floor 48. People need to get a sense of reality about construction.

I appreciate your imput and don't disagree at all with any of your points. Surely, though, you can make your points without an expletive even if it is disguised. As I have pointed out to other posters, minors visit this forum and we shouldn't encourage that.

22. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I appreciate your imput and don't disagree at all with any of your points. Surely, though, you can make your points without an expletive even if it is disguised. As I have pointed out to other posters, minors visit this forum and we shouldn't encourage that.
    I agree, and will discontinue the emotion. I sometimes grow tired of people who pretend to know everything to I get short.

I agree, and will discontinue the emotion. I sometimes grow tired of people who pretend to know everything to I get short.
    I understand completely and get frustrated myself sometimes. Many posters just can't control themselves, however, when it comes to language and that is a pet peeve of mine on this particular forum. On other forums which are more adult in nature I understand that.

24. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

I know I get angry when my father-in-law gets vulgar around my little ones. So I need to have the same respect for other parents' children.

As for the Devon Tower, I wonder if they are going to redo those two columns tomorrow. Man, I am so anxious to get back up to OKC October 1st.

25. Default Re: Devon Tower: Officially Under Construction

From Saturday:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-