Widgets Magazine
Page 156 of 217 FirstFirst ... 56106151152153154155156157158159160161206 ... LastLast
Results 3,876 to 3,900 of 5410

Thread: Convention Center

1. Default Re: Convention Center

Looks like the biggest ones come from horse shows.

2. Default Re: Convention Center

^^^^^^^^^^^
    They have a huge impact. Also other sports do; and bookings for sports will increase greatly when we have new convention center, as right now there are problems with mat sports and indoor floor sports due to lack of clear span, low hanging lights, etc., in side halls. The halls are extremely important to events like volleyball, gymnastics, wrestling etc., as there are play-ins/qualifying and such.

The important thing to take away from that report also is the number of events in the 250-2500 range. Those are the bread and butter for a building like our new convention center. Everyone obsesses on what would be termed a citywide - meaning something like Legal Shield that fills hotel rooms all over the city. The new CC will increase citywides, sure. But the real impact will be felt with a dramatic uptick in those smaller-scale meetings, conferences, trainings ad the like. Many of those are statewide, regional, etc., but those still bring the room nights and the per diem.

Right now the Cox center severely limits how many of those we can host, due to terrible lack of loading docks. Currently a new event cannot load-in until after the preceding event loads out. Once we have the new building - with a large number of loading docks - we can actually host SIMULTANEOUS events of that size. This by itself will cause bookings to go up considerably.

3. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As for the hotel, I was told by a very good source that they have narrowed down the choice to Omni and Marcus (Hitlon) and Mortensen (Hyatt) have combined forces to become the 2nd finalist.

That means the other remaining applicant from the 4 finalists, Matthew group (Westin), has been cut.

I am really pulling for Omni as they just started a beautiful convention hotel in Louisville (see below), but my money has always been on Marcus due to the relationship that group formed with Cathy O'Connor through the Skrivin, which it still operates.

Whichever group is selected will bring their own design... The hotel shown in the renderings above is just a placeholder.

Agree 100% on Omni. I'd also suggest that Louisville is getting that for a CC hotel because 1) Louisville is a community that does not accept boring; and 2) Omni doesn't like to do boring, unlike other chains. Also if OKC got creative (scary words) and introduced a new use into the mix, like condos, that will naturally lend itself to a stacked tower like the above.

Marcus will have a pretty fixed (inelastic) idea for how much of a footprint they want in Downtown OKC. What does a Hilton/Marcus CC hotel mean for the Skirvin, considering we are not taking them up on making the Skirvin the CC hotel.

Also the CC designs are pretty boiler plate. It's the superblock we knew it would be, wrapped in zero of the mixed-use that was originally pitched.

I'm also a little surprised to see the cap blown off on waiting for Maps 4 to fund a new fairgrounds arena. Just what we needed, not transit, but rather another event venue in an unwalkable non-transit accessible location. This will really make OKC stand out and compete against cities that are all really the same.

Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I'm also a little surprised to see the cap blown off on waiting for Maps 4 to fund a new fairgrounds arena. Just what we needed, not transit, but rather another event venue in an unwalkable non-transit accessible location. This will really make OKC stand out and compete against cities that are all really the same.
    It really is not "another" event venue. It's a replacement of an existing event venue. It will serve it's intended purpose in an appropriate location. Also, as mentioned in the thread where it is being discussed, it seems unlikely that it will be a MAPS project.

SouthsideSooner Guest

Agree 100% on Omni. I'd also suggest that Louisville is getting that for a CC hotel because 1) Louisville is a community that does not accept boring; and 2) Omni doesn't like to do boring, unlike other chains. Also if OKC got creative (scary words) and introduced a new use into the mix, like condos, that will naturally lend itself to a stacked tower like the above.

Marcus will have a pretty fixed (inelastic) idea for how much of a footprint they want in Downtown OKC. What does a Hilton/Marcus CC hotel mean for the Skirvin, considering we are not taking them up on making the Skirvin the CC hotel.

Also the CC designs are pretty boiler plate. It's the superblock we knew it would be, wrapped in zero of the mixed-use that was originally pitched.

What a load of crap... Louisville is getting that for a convention center hotel because they are subsidizing it to the tune of 138 MILLION dollars, a whooping 48 percent of the cost of the project. We can only hope that our city leaders don't get sucked in to such a ridiculous deal...

I'd also mention in regards to your other comments that while Louisville is spending such an insane amount of money on a convention hotel, they have no streetcar system and their mass transit sucks...

SouthsideSooner Guest

double post

Blog Entries

Louisville & OKC situations are different:

They definitely have some competition surrounded by Big League cities in the area; all with new or renovated convention centers that are in Louisville's vicinity:

Cincinnati (92 miles -NW- 2.2 million population)
    Indianapolis (109 miles -N- 2 million population)
    Columbus (192 miles -NW- 2 million population)
    Nashville (153 miles -S- 1.8 million)

OKC has one Big League city (Dallas) in its area some 190 miles south.

Louisville is subsidizing a convention hotel with public-private funds--accounts for 48% ($139 million); Omni is paying 52% ($150 million) of the $289 million project total.

Just don't see OKC subsidizing an Omni or any hotel to the tune of 48%. The $289 million Louisville Omni will cost more than the $287 million we have budgeted for our new convention center.

Oklahoma City's project is down to two developers: Omni vs. Marcus (Hilton) & Mortensen (Hyatt) combined forces as the 2nd finalist: both will submit bids for a 600 plus room conference hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Louisville & OKC situations are different:

They definitely have some competition surrounded by Big League cities in the area; all with new or renovated convention centers that are in Louisville's vicinity:

Cincinnati (92 miles -NW- 2.2 million population)
    Indianapolis (109 miles -N- 2 million population)
    Columbus (192 miles -NW- 2 million population)
    Nashville (153 miles -S- 1.8 million)

OKC has one Big League city (Dallas) in its area some 190 miles south.

Louisville is subsidizing a convention hotel with public-private funds--accounts for 48% ($139 million); Omni is paying 52% ($150 million) of the $289 million project total.

Just don't see OKC subsidizing an Omni or any hotel to the tune of 48%. The $289 million Louisville Omni will cost more than the $287 million we have budgeted for our new convention center.

Oklahoma City's project is down to two developers: Omni vs. Marcus (Hilton) & Mortensen (Hyatt) combined forces as the 2nd finalist: both will submit bids for a 600 plus room conference hotel.

Hopefully whatever brand it is it will be a highrise that adds to the skyline.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Hopefully whatever brand it is it will be a highrise that adds to the skyline.

Good possibility since the new site wants to provide future growth/expansion for the convention center; therefore you could see a tower higher than the Continental Resources Center.

The villes are pumping more money into those conference hotels: Louisville offered $139 million & Nashville included $128 million in incentives for their conference hotels. Nashville's new convention center complex will cost a whopping $623 million.

OKC may have to pay a high premium for a conference hotel with only two future bidders: Omni vs Marcus-Mortensen being submitted.

10. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideSooner View Post
    What a load of crap... Louisville is getting that for a convention center hotel because they are subsidizing it to the tune of 138 MILLION dollars, a whooping 48 percent of the cost of the project. We can only hope that our city leaders don't get sucked in to such a ridiculous deal...

I'd also mention in regards to your other comments that while Louisville is spending such an insane amount of money on a convention hotel, they have no streetcar system and their mass transit sucks...
    I actually mostly agree with this. OKC was discussing also subsidizing half of the project. The difference is we might go a cheaper route with design and quality, so that there is less that we have to subsidize.

Also agree that any city that doesn't have transit yet (a few notable, egregious exceptions) is absolutely behind the times. Louisville is a lot like OKC in being stuck in a state that proactively harms its big cities.

Are there efforts to ensure/encourage restaurants/coffee shops on the parts of the convention center near the most walkable areas, particularly along the park? A couple restaurants and coffee shops that serve convention go-ers, park users, downtown workers, Thunder fans, and area residents could ensure that the convention center isn't just a dead space most of the time. In fact, it would be nice if a few places were clustered together with some outdoor patio space to create some synergy.

12. Default Re: Convention Center

...OKC was discussing also subsidizing half of the project...
    Where was this discussed? Do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Are there efforts to ensure/encourage restaurants/coffee shops on the parts of the convention center near the most walkable areas, particularly along the park? A couple restaurants and coffee shops that serve convention go-ers, park users, downtown workers, Thunder fans, and area residents could ensure that the convention center isn't just a dead space most of the time. In fact, it would be nice if a few places were clustered together with some outdoor patio space to create some synergy.
    I hope so. The convention center really needs the hotel and the old Ford site to have a variety of these types of options, but it seems so obvious that I can't imagine that the responsible parties would fail to deliver.. For me, the Hotel needs a bar on the NW corner and a coffee shop on the SW corner. The Ford site then needs a variety of restaurant and retail options.

Would have been a perfect use for the Film Exchange building. . . amazing how easily we shoot ourselves in the foot sometimes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I hope so. The convention center really needs the hotel and the old Ford site to have a variety of these types of options, but it seems so obvious that I can't imagine that the responsible parties would fail to deliver.. For me, the Hotel needs a bar on the NW corner and a coffee shop on the SW corner. The Ford site then needs a variety of restaurant and retail options.

Would have been a perfect use for the Film Exchange building. . . amazing how easily we shoot ourselves in the foot sometimes.
    Ford site was asking way too much $100 million (overpriced). True, we shot ourselves in the foot; only as the result of our own success with MAPS.

The city saw the filing last summer as “friendly” and began advancing design work for the convention center by its consultant, Populous. But after paying Populous $2.2 million for work to date, a $100 million asking price by Howard and Hall has city officials preparing to start over. Howard and Hall declined to discuss the land deal.
    http://newsok.com/article/5399396

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They just released the latest convention schedule.

Interesting to look at and see all the various events.

https://res-2.cloudinary.com/simplev...3444c57184.pdf

Surprised the Memorial Marathon is not in the book?

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    I don't run, myself, so I have no direct knowledge, but I always thought the marathon was just that, a marathon. Are there related events where event space would be used? I mean, there's at least one event on there where 44 hotel rooms are estimated...I always hear stories of people coming from all over to run and would have no problem believing they would use 44 rooms if not more. Is the difference that lack of event space/hotel blocks? Or is it that it isn't booked by the Convention and Visitor's Bureau?

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    I don't run, myself, so I have no direct knowledge, but I always thought the marathon was just that, a marathon. Are there related events where event space would be used? I mean, there's at least one event on there where 44 hotel rooms are estimated...I always hear stories of people coming from all over to run and would have no problem believing they would use 44 rooms if not more. Is the difference that lack of event space/hotel blocks? Or is it that it isn't booked by the Convention and Visitor's Bureau?
    When I ran, there was a health and wellness expo that coincided with the marathon. That is where you got all your running stuff for the race.

18. Default Re: Convention Center

Marathon participants book thousands of room nights. And yes, related events do book space, including check-in and other pre-race events. Not sure why it is not on the list. The CVB does work closely with the marathon to provide visitor services, but I don't know that they have direct involvement in bookings, etc.. I'll find out why it is excluded.

Yes, there is always a large expo in the Comvention Center.

Blog Entries

For the marathon there's also that optional dinner event to carb up the night before....

Also, take into consideration that the marathon starts at 6:30am and most participants are there by 5:30am, so, you have a room the night before and may have a room that evening, depending on where you are from. I would love to see the airport the afternoon of the marathon, all the people wearing the shirts and struggling to walk to the gates. I would want at least one day of relaxation afterwards. And, typically, it falls on a Sunday of the arts festival which just increases the number of people staying in town.

22. Default Re: Convention Center

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    After checking, just found out that it will be, the details just haven't been turned in yet. That schedule is a living document; updated each month.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Ford site was asking way too much $100 million (overpriced). True, we shot ourselves in the foot; only as the result of our own success with MAPS.

http://newsok.com/article/5399396
    Laramie I was talking about shooting ourselves in the foot by demoing the Film Exchange building that was directly across from the current convention center in what will soon be the MAPS-3 Park. That building would have made a perfect cafe that would be slammed by convention business.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Laramie I was talking about shooting ourselves in the foot by demoing the Film Exchange building that was directly across from the current convention center in what will soon be the MAPS-3 Park. That building would have made a perfect cafe that would be slammed by convention business.
    Film Exchange front & back...

How about a MAPS Historic Preservation Initiative?

True, a real afterthought. You could have said the same about the bus station, Black Hotel, Hotel Oklahoma, Baum Building, Criterion Theater...

We value the significance of historic buildings; unfortunately, we don't find out about these structures until dooms day. Oklahoma City should have designed a separate MAPS historic initiative to save all of these structures that were in the path of MAPS III & previous MAPS projects. Attempts to preserve historic projects now would make deep cuts into the projects we plan to build. It's too late for structures that have been demolished.

MAPS for Historic Preservation: Preservationists should look at what few jewels we have left; push for a MAPS historical preservation initiative.

That CVB list is essentially organized conventions that book rooms in block rates.
    It's really tough for the CVB to organize visiting hotel room numbers.

Thread Information