Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 80 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192065 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole Foods

Default Re: Whole Foods...

Both Sprout's and Sunflower (Newflower here in Texas) are smaller organic/health oriented food markets. Sprout's is quite a bit smaller, they opened up a few months ago in what was a CompUSA store here in South Austin. Newflower opened up in a former Safeway store (from many, many years ago) that was most recently a Hobby Lobby. All of the stores they have opened here have been much more suburban.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Both Sprout's and Sunflower (Newflower here in Texas) are smaller organic/health oriented food markets. Sprout's is quite a bit smaller, they opened up a few months ago in what was a CompUSA store here in South Austin. Newflower opened up in a former Safeway store (from many, many years ago) that was most recently a Hobby Lobby. All of the stores they have opened here have been much more suburban.
    Yes. Those concepts seeking expansion as the economy improves will have a good selection of less expensive real estate in other markets. On the other hand there are market opportunities here and the real estate was never as expensive here as in other areas.

Eventually there will surely be some kind of grocer downtown but it seems hard to make a case to me right now at least.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Hy-Vee is also a nice grocery store, I think. They've just opened in Nebraska, as well, as the town my mother lives in has one. I don't know why a good grocery store chain doesn't see this city as ripe for expansion, but again, I wonder if it's our lousy looking demographics. Don't know.
    Wal-Mart.

The last food store expansion I remember was the Food Lion stores that opened in the early 1990's. It's a foreign owned company but still rather large. I think the ABC report on Food Lion was more responsible for them closing stores here than anything else. But now a similar concept would have to compete directly with Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets.

5. Default Re: Whole Foods...

I still think an Aldi could work downtown.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    I still think an Aldi could work downtown.
    I forgot about Aldi coming in to the area.

You're probably right. The stores are fairly small and very tightly controlled. I have the feeling they don't need huge volume to make it.

I've only been in one a few times but I think the quality is pretty good but more limited on choices. I noticed I had to buy a package of green peppers and a package of bananas and several other things were like that. But the produce was pretty good.

The one I was in took debit cards now but used to take only cash. The checkout system was pretty fast though and I don't mind bagging my own groceries at all. Putting a quarter in to get a cart is a little strange at first. No cross over aisles and ,lots of stuff is displayed in shipping boxes.

added: store size is about 15,000 sf. Once in everyone has to exit through checkout.
    Last edited by flintysooner; 12-14-2009 at 06:37 AM. Reason: added store size information

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I forgot about Aldi coming in to the area.

You're probably right. The stores are fairly small and very tightly controlled. I have the feeling they don't need huge volume to make it.

I've only been in one a few times but I think the quality is pretty good but more limited on choices. I noticed I had to buy a package of green peppers and a package of bananas and several other things were like that. But the produce was pretty good.

The one I was in took debit cards now but used to take only cash. The checkout system was pretty fast though and I don't mind bagging my own groceries at all. Putting a quarter in to get a cart is a little strange at first. No cross over aisles and ,lots of stuff is displayed in shipping boxes.

added: store size is about 15,000 sf. Once in everyone has to exit through checkout.
    Please tell me your joking, talk about 2 steps back!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Please tell me your joking, talk about 2 steps back!!!!
    Why do you think that?

Other building sizes:
    Wal-mart Neighborhood Market - ~ 40,000 SF
    Dollar General - ~ 9,000 SF
    Fresh and Easy - ~ 15,000 SF
    Braum's - ~ 6,000 SF

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    Why do you think that?
    The only thing that Aldi offers that you can get at Walmart is the crowds, Walmart offerrs their own brand that compares in quality and price to Aldi's. With the advancement that OKC has made in the past 4--5 years, we need (deserve) a grocery market like a Whole Foods, Lund's, Fresh Market.

I shop and appreciate what Walmart offers, I just think it's time for OKC to have better choices.

The only thing that Aldi offers that you can't get at Walmart is the crowds, Walmart offerrs their own brand that compares in quality and price to Aldi's. With the advancement that OKC has made in the past 4--5 years, we need (deserve) a grocery market like a Whole Foods, Lund's, Fresh Market.

I shop and appreciate what Walmart offers, I just think it's time for OKC to have better choices.
    I just don't think the population is there downtown to support something very large. I see very little chance of attracting a Wal-mart.

Aldi's has a pretty complete line and would work for someone who wanted to stop every day or every few days and pick up a few groceries including fresh vegetables for urban living.

Aldi's also carries certain Trader Joe's brands.

I can't really tell from their real estate requirements though if they'd even be interested.

Fresh and Easy might work if they come this way but that will likely be a few years off.

I have only been to Aldi's once and it reminded my of a Dollar General for food products. Poor layout, unreliable selection but low prices. Not a bad option in a pinch but not exactly a high end store we are missing in this market.

Not sure how we could even consider Aldi being in the same spectrum as whole foods. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Walmart is more upscale than Aldi. . .

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    I have only been to Aldi's once and it reminded my of a Dollar General for food products. Poor layout, unreliable selection but low prices. Not a bad option in a pinch but not exactly a high end store we are missing in this market.
    Whole Foods wants 40,000 to 75,000 sf in high traffic areas with 200,000 population in 20 min drive time.

Oklahoma City metropolitan area definitely can provide such locations and probably will see one or more stores eventually when they begin expanding again.

I just think it is hard to place it downtown.

NW Expressway area make the most sense.

16. Default Re: Whole Foods...

It's going to be in the Classen Curve area. Bank on it.... (but be sure to be FDIC insured)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    It's going to be in the Classen Curve area. Bank on it.... (but be sure to be FDIC insured)
    There could easily be more than one store here if they have the appetite to compete.

18. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The best location they could choose...without a doubt. And I wouldn't be surprised to see them sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Comm'l Real Estate Guy View Post
    The best location they could choose...without a doubt. And I wouldn't be surprised to see them sooner rather than later.
    That is the best area but not the best location. Granted, I will shop at whole foods if it does locate in classen curve, but it's a bad place to open a store. Just not much of a fan of classen curve, not much of a functional shopping center.

20. Default Re: Whole Foods...

The only thing that Aldi offers that you can get at Walmart is the crowds, Walmart offerrs their own brand that compares in quality and price to Aldi's. With the advancement that OKC has made in the past 4--5 years, we need (deserve) a grocery market like a Whole Foods, Lund's, Fresh Market.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhill View Post
    Not sure how we could even consider Aldi being in the same spectrum as whole foods. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Walmart is more upscale than Aldi. . .
    Aldi was a suggestion for what we can get to come downtown...

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    That is the best area but not the best location. Granted, I will shop at whole foods if it does locate in classen curve, but it's a bad place to open a store. Just not much of a fan of classen curve, not much of a functional shopping center.
    He said Classen Curve area. It will be across the street, where Hahn-Cook used to be.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

21. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Guys, truth be told, this is the worst kept secret in the world. I really wish I could do a legitimate news report and get it over with. But it is what it is...

22. Default Re: Whole Foods...

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Location/area...we're talking the same thing. This location/area has all the measurables a retailer like this would look at...that's my point.

If you differentiate location and area, what would you consider to be the best location in this area?

Quote Originally Posted by Comm'l Real Estate Guy View Post
    Location/area...we're talking the same thing. This location/area has all the measurables a retailer like this would look at...that's my point.

If you differentiate location and area, what would you consider to be the best location in this area?
    To be honest, there arent many good "locations." I think thats part of the reason they havent opened here yet. I had no specific places in mind really, but I always assumed it would be somewhere along NW Expressway & May/Penn/Belle Isle area.

If I were a betting man, I would put my money on Edmond or Norman having a Whole Foods before OKC.

One will go in somewhere. It will exceed expectations. Several more will be built probably with one too many. Everyone will forget that there was a time we didn't have one. Then the complaining about big chains.

Same story often repeated.

Thread Information