Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 101112131415

Thread: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    What's frustrating from a planning stand point is the area around Showbiz has been cleared for out parcels of retail. A whole area of well developed trees south of Covell and west of Sooner are going away it would appear for this development.

Also, the preliminary plat for this strip center has 5 separate entrances to Covell and Sooner, one of those being the stoplight entrance at Fairfax, this seems overkill and congestion prone. I'm sure the residents of Augusta Farms are just thrilled about this development bumping up to their backyard when there is ample space at Showbiz and even across the street on the east side of Sooner next to Braums and the other retail.

Yes, I know each area of land is owned by a different developer, but this just seems like odd placement given the other options in the area.
    I completely agree. The area in front and surrounding Showbiz should be full of retail, restaurants, niche buildings like gymnastics, dancing, an Edmond version of Score OKC, Apartments and offices above retail stores could all go in this area and absolutely kill it but it will take the developers working with investors to make it happen. There is a TON of land in the area beyond all that is already platted. Between this area, and the surrounding areas this could truly be a lifestyle center that would attract shoppers from as far away as Stillwater and have constant use from Edmond, Arcadia, Jones, Luther, Guthrie and beyond.

With Buc-ee’s openly putting Oklahoma on the board, the city needs to make this off ramp and development a very tempting location.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    With Buc-ee’s openly putting Oklahoma on the board, the city needs to make this off ramp and development a very tempting location.
    I think that location would be good.....but Edmond is going to Edmond. HOWEVER, there is a Crest that is 24 hours near by, so MAYBE?

I don't know how the traffic counts differ between I-35 and I-40.

I would assume there is more traffic going south I-35 to and from Dallas, than north to Wichita/Kansas City? I-35 north of Guthrie thins out with traffic.
    I-40 from my experience is the same story, once past El Reno there isn't a whole lot of traffic heading to Amarillo/ABQ.

A reminder Buc-ee's caters to road trippers and two axle vehicles. So semi-truck traffic is a moot point.

And Buc-ee's may not like trying to compete with Love's at the I-35 Guthrie exit.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    I completely agree. The area in front and surrounding Showbiz should be full of retail, restaurants, niche buildings like gymnastics, dancing, an Edmond version of Score OKC, Apartments and offices above retail stores could all go in this area and absolutely kill it but it will take the developers working with investors to make it happen. There is a TON of land in the area beyond all that is already platted. Between this area, and the surrounding areas this could truly be a lifestyle center that would attract shoppers from as far away as Stillwater and have constant use from Edmond, Arcadia, Jones, Luther, Guthrie and beyond.
    Edmond already attracts lots and lots of shoppers from Stillwater, due to Stillwater's quite pitiful lack of appealing dining, retail and recreational options for adults and children alike for a town of its size. That and the lack of decent paying jobs to attract families make Stillwater quite an undesirable place for many non-students to consider moving to. One who has kids to raise would rather not do it from the standpoint of a fast food, restaurant, store clerk or housekeeping job. Consequently, a good number of OSU employees live in Edmond and commute to OSU every day. If they got kids, they thank them for it. Perhaps in recent months things have gotten somewhat better. Yet, that AreaVibes would give Edmond a livability score of 78 while giving Stillwater 82 can only be regarded as an all-out total joke to many Oklahomans.

At least OU fans can take pride and joy in that AreaVibes gives Norman a higher score of 83. But it's questionable that AreaVibes is a credible source to help one find where living in a state is good or better in the first place.

Enid also doesn't exactly have an abundance of good dining and retail options, so north Edmond could attract lots of shoppers from there as well. Hopefully, Edmond will be able to manage its abundant growth off I-35 well.

If you look at the Areavibe's scoring of Edmond, it's not that far fetched on the score. Edmond's commuting and amenity scores pulled down the average score.

The biggest complaint on this board about Edmond is the traffic congestion and overall quality of road infrastructure to move in and around the city with it's constant red lights and inefficient traffic patterns. A city of 100,000 with road infrastructure for 25,000.

The other area where Edmond lacks is a diversity of grocery store options and dining options that extend beyond strip mall and quick serve dining. Sure there are a few local eateries, but the majority of Edmond is houses anchored by gas stations and strip malls on every corner.

Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 9.00.28 AM.jpg

https://www.areavibes.com/edmond-ok/...6549+-97.47813

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Edmond already attracts lots and lots of shoppers from Stillwater, due to Stillwater's quite pitiful lack of appealing dining, retail and recreational options for adults and children alike for a town of its size. That and the lack of decent paying jobs to attract families make Stillwater quite an undesirable place for many non-students to consider moving to. One who has kids to raise would rather not do it from the standpoint of a fast food, restaurant, store clerk or housekeeping job. Consequently, a good number of OSU employees live in Edmond and commute to OSU every day. If they got kids, they thank them for it. Perhaps in recent months things have gotten somewhat better. Yet, that AreaVibes would give Edmond a livability score of 78 while giving Stillwater 82 can only be regarded as an all-out total joke to many Oklahomans.

At least OU fans can take pride and joy in that AreaVibes gives Norman a higher score of 83. But it's questionable that AreaVibes is a credible source to help one find where living in a state is good or better in the first place.

Enid also doesn't exactly have an abundance of good dining and retail options, so north Edmond could attract lots of shoppers from there as well. Hopefully, Edmond will be able to manage its abundant growth off I-35 well.
    Doesn't OSU run a commuter bus every day from the ODOT lot at 122nd and I-35 to the campus and back? I knew a guy who rode it every day to his admin job at OSU. Saved a ton on fuel.

Thread Information