Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: IKEA

Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

^
    I don't think they were ever that great to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    Oklahoma City is referenced in this article as a city in a 6 state region that they are going to try and pull from.
    Maybe Bartlesville. OKC is closer to Frisco than KC.

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    Don't know if others noticed this, but they broke ground on an IKEA store in SW Kansas City. (340 miles from OKC)

Ikea’s groundbreaking in Merriam likely to spur development nearby - KansasCity.com

Oklahoma City is referenced in this article as a city in a 6 state region that they are going to try and pull from.
    Looks like OKC's chances for an IKEA got a lot smaller..
    That doesn't make sense regardless as OKC is far closer to Dallas, which has an IKEA, than KC. I wouldn't drive anywhere for IKEA, but I might shop there if we had one here. My kitchen table is IKEA, but I bought it locally.

IKEA is not that great of a store. It would be nice to have one, but there's nothing special about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    IKEA is not that great of a store. It would be nice to have one, but there's nothing special about them.
    The thing I like about IKEA is you get a lot for your money. The stuff you get from there isn't that great, but its awesome for young people living in apartments without the cash to shell out for fine furniture. It's better than the cheap stuff you buy at Wal-Mart or Target for not much more.

OKC is likely too small to be on IKEA's radar any time soon. They don't usually locate in metro areas much below 2 million.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The thing I like about IKEA is you get a lot for your money. The stuff you get from there isn't that great, but its awesome for young people living in apartments without the cash to shell out for fine furniture. It's better than the cheap stuff you buy at Wal-Mart or Target for not much more.
    Yep, we have quite a bit of Ikea stuff right now as we are transitioning from "it will work for now" furniture to "what we really want" when we build. They also have some very good for the money kitchen items that are very clean in style and design. We have some cabinets in the basement and one in the computer room and the guest room furniture is from Ikea because the price was right for it. Since we bought this house we have started transitioning, we bought dining room furniture from Scandinavian Designs, much better prices than what I remember Dane Design (in OKC) or the similar store in Austin having. You just have to realize what you are getting in Ikea furniture, it is by no means "heirloom furniture" but a decent piece of furniture for the price.

7. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    You just have to realize what you are getting in Ikea furniture, it is by no means "heirloom furniture" but a decent piece of furniture for the price.
    That's probably the best description of Ikea that I've seen here. That the the "it will work for now". Much like a kid's bed....you don't want to pay too much for it becuse it won't hang out long, so Ikea works because it's cheaper and then you don't feel as bad about it when you're done with it.

Oak, it is not...that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    That's probably the best description of Ikea that I've seen here. That the the "it will work for now". Much like a kid's bed....you don't want to pay too much for it becuse it won't hang out long, so Ikea works because it's cheaper and then you don't feel as bad about it when you're done with it.

I actually just bought a couch from Ikea after being unable to find one I liked at any of the local furniture stores. It's been pretty comfy for the first week, have to see how it ages.

9. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

I'm sorry but who buys oak furniture anymore? What is this 1998?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I'd guess plenty of people. Some of us don't shop at IKEA.

Not a thing wrong with oak.

Can Pete or a mod please change the misleading title of this thread? IKEA is not coming to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner View Post
    Can Pete or a mod please change the misleading title of this thread? IKEA is not coming to OKC.
    I agree. If there is one coveted retailer I never expect to come to OKC or even Tulsa any time soon it is IKEA. Costco, Trader Joe's and H-E-B will probably be here first.

I forgot this was an old thread, saw the title, and freaked! I though we were getting one. Darn.

I agree. If there is one coveted retailer I never expect to come to OKC or even Tulsa any time soon it is IKEA. Costco, Trader Joe's and H-E-B will probably be here first.
    Generally I agree, Ikea will not be coming to OKC. But it was pointed out that Ikea does not like metro area beneath 2 million. I use to shop at the Ikea in Charlotte and it is definately beneath 2 million. But I realized that the Triad cities (Winston-Salem, Greensboro) were less than a 100 miles away and their combined population was around 8-900,000. That combine with the small metros across the border in S.C. made Charlotte an acceptable location. The same senerio exist in Oklahoma. Between Tulsa and OKC, the combined population is well over 2 million. Not to mention Witchita just over the border in Kansas. Put an Ikea at the Turnpike terminus in OKC, and it would not be much different from where the Ikea was located in Charlotte. People will drive. I lived 160 miles away in Raleigh/Durham ("Triangle") and would shop there - usually had other reasons to be there, and would stop by.

Quote Originally Posted by TAlan CB View Post
    Generally I agree, Ikea will not be coming to OKC. But it was pointed out that Ikea does not like metro area beneath 2 million. I use to shop at the Ikea in Charlotte and it is definately beneath 2 million. But I realized that the Triad cities (Winston-Salem, Greensboro) were less than a 100 miles away and their combined population was around 8-900,000. That combine with the small metros across the border in S.C. made Charlotte an acceptable location. The same senerio exist in Oklahoma. Between Tulsa and OKC, the combined population is well over 2 million. Not to mention Witchita just over the border in Kansas. Put an Ikea at the Turnpike terminus in OKC, and it would not be much different from where the Ikea was located in Charlotte. People will drive. I lived 160 miles away in Raleigh/Durham ("Triangle") and would shop there - usually had other reasons to be there, and would stop by.
    Yeah I agree. If IKEA was to open in Oklahoma though it would probably be in Tulsa rather than OKC. I hate to say it but Tulsa usually gets the better retail.

And I used to live in Charlotte and loved going to IKEA.

Yeah I agree. If IKEA was to open in Oklahoma though it would probably be in Tulsa rather than OKC. I hate to say it but Tulsa usually gets the better retail.

I honestly don't think so. Given OKC's central location, the markets it could serve within a drivable distance, its elevated profile, and greater population, no way ikea would go to Tulsa first. Tulsa has one interstate in and one out.

18. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Anyone that buys something at a traditional furniture store, that's who. Maybe you've heard of a little company called Mathis Brothers....or Galleria? How about Bob Mills? What do you think the stuff is made out of? Sure as crap isn't laminated plywood with a vanier. Maybe Pine or White Oak. The point is, it's not crappy flat-box, screw-together plywood like at Ikea....or anything else that comes in a flat box.

But thanks for playing.

Split the difference: put it in Stroud where the old outlet mall used to be...

Was the outlet mall by Stroud ever wildly popular? Would probably make more sense to plop it at the edge of Sapulpa or East Edmond if it wasn't going directly into OKC or T-Town

It seemed like there was always some there but I don't think I ever saw it full or even close to what the new one has daily, except when some large mall wide promotion was cutting all the prices.

Strowd was not as good as having it in either city years ago, other between locations have been on a serious decline without the dramatic destruction. Today the location is probably even less appealing with higher gas prices and competition from the Internet.

22. Default re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner View Post
    Just reported the thread to change the subject to "Could IKEA ever come to OKC?" which is probably much more fitting...for a thread started in 2006. LOL

Blog Entries

Default Re: IKEA coming to OKC?

No. OKC location would draw from Tulsa, Wichita, Ft. Smith, Lawton, Amarillo. Tulsa from OKC and Fayeteville and Ft. Smith primarily. Wichita will go to OKC or KC to shop. OKC goes to Dallas.

24. Default Re: IKEA coming to OKC?

Anyone that buys something at a traditional furniture store, that's who. Maybe you've heard of a little company called Mathis Brothers....or Galleria? How about Bob Mills? What do you think the stuff is made out of? Sure as crap isn't laminated plywood with a vanier. Maybe Pine or White Oak. The point is, it's not crappy flat-box, screw-together plywood like at Ikea....or anything else that comes in a flat box.

But thanks for playing.
    I'm surprised you always seem so uncouth and stressed out considering you get to live it up in your Bob Mills-decked abode with all your clashing wooden furniture, fluffy cushions, and frilly window treatments.

25. Default Re: IKEA coming to OKC?

I made my own window treatments thank you very much.

Thread Information