Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Odot

1. Default Re: Odot

Yeah since they are their own entity they really can't go into ODOT fund. Now if they wanted to switch gears and go towards funding mass transit, I think we all agree that would be a good thing. But an east loop to make it faster to get to Tulsa. Come on. An hour to an hour and half is not a terrible drive at all.

Default Re: Odot

So they propose completing the entire loop except for around Norman?

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    A total waste of money for something that is unnecessary. That money could have been spent on much more important transportation issues.
    As an east side rural resident I totally disagree. Sure, you 're probably "fiscally" correct but have you considered how it would greatly benefit me?

Awesome ^2

I can understand money for highways that are already being used. But this is constructing new ones that are totally unnecessary.
    Well, I do think continuing the southwest portion from I-40 to I-35 extending the Kilpatrick is needed. I also understand an eastside connection is needed as well from what I've heard.

However I can understand where you are coming from on the other ones. I do think the need to at least secure ROW for future planning.

I am okay with this but I do wish they would fund more mass transit along with this. What is really concerning with all of these transit improvements, not one cent is going towards mass transit.

Hopefully that is something Maps 4 addresses.

Here is the website: Driving Forward OK

These are the projects

Southwest OKC Extension
    7 miles
    $190 million
    New construction
    This project will be an extension of the Kilpatrick Turnpike that will connect SW OKC and the metro area at-large with the urban core. It will increase access and offer another route for Will Rogers World Airport. It will occur between I-40 and State Highway 152/Airport Road.
    Northeast OK County Loop
    21 miles
    $300 million
    New construction
    This project will allow for a connection from Eastern Oklahoma County to vital intersections for travel. This will produce a drive-time reduction to access Tulsa from the OKC Metro and a needed new loop to alleviate current congested traffic in the Oklahoma City area. Construction will link I-40 and I-44 (Turner Turnpike) in Eastern Oklahoma County.

Tulsa will get a 2.5 mile expansion of the Gilcrease Expressway.

Gilcrease Expressway
    2.5 miles
    $28 million from OTA and partnership with City of Tulsa
    New road construction
    This project connects L.L. Tisdale to I-44 and completes the Western loop around the Tulsa metro area. It will help relieve urban traffic congestion during peak periods. It will also provide a new and more direct route to city attractions and points of interest in the Tulsa urban core. This will bolster safe access to Tulsa along with economic growth and opportunity.

I think the eastern leg is going to benefit MWC, Del City, Choctaw, Jones and that entire area as well as reducing time and congestion driving from Norman to Tulsa.

The Muskogee Turnpike will be reconstructed

Muskogee Turnpike
    9.5 miles
    $42 million
    Reconstruction of Turnpike from “ground-up” for safety and modernization of toll plaza
    This reconstruction will occur between Creek Turnpike interchange and State Highway 51 near Coweta. It will allow for a safer and more drivable surface and provide increased safety features.

It appears the Turner Turnpike will be widened.

Turner Turnpike
    22 miles
    $300 million
    Reconstruction for more lanes and safety features including lights and other future safety enhancements
    The Turner Turnpike is a vital turnpike corridor that connects Oklahoma’s two metro areas. Improving safety and convenience on this road is a priority for the OTA. This reconstruction/safety project will occur between Bristow and the Creek Turnpike West (State Highway 364) section of the Turner Turnpike. In the last five years there have been 15 fatalities and 514 wrecks on this section of road. This project will create an “urban turnpike corridor” with lighting, wider lanes and the addition of lanes. It will allow for the future creation of truck-specific lanes for quick and safe access.

HE Bailey Turnpike

HE Bailey Turnpike
    7.5 miles
    $32 million
    Turnpike reconstruction for lanes and safety features and toll plaza modernization for better access for PikePass customers
    This project will provide wider lanes and enhanced safety features for travel as well as improved technology for toll plaza locations for customer convenience between Bridge Creek and North Meridian Avenue near Newcastle.

12. Default Re: Odot

Why is the southwest extension 7 miles 190 million???

Why is the southwest extension 7 miles 190 million???
    My guess would be they have to relocate the end of the Kilpatrick line that currently terminates at SW 15th and will have to be relocated slightly west to miss a new neighborhood and to purchase ROW in the area.

My guess is this will lead to a huge explosion of sprawl in NE Oklahoma County much like what the city is currently experiencing in the Deer Creek school district. The website talks a lot about keeping Oklahoma competitive, but in other states mass transit is becoming a significant part of the equation in addition to the automobile.

I wish commuter rail would be funded between downtown Edmond and downtown OKC and Norman.

15. Default Re: Odot

I dunno. Just looking at it they might have to buy up half that neighborhood just to the south. Then cut SE then go east of Mustange Canyon, then cut through those neighborhoods East of that new area with the lowes, then go back southwest to tie back in. That would be my guess. So a lot of properties and people to move. I wonder if the will have airport RD continue straight west where it turns south.

Its easier to follow if you look at google maps

16. Default Re: Odot

I did look at google maps. All I saw was a lot of unnecessary things that need to happen for 7 miles of roadway. It's absolutely stupid.

Fantastic news for Oklahoma County! Look for economic development for the Spencer/Jones/Choctaw/Nicoma Park area to bring lots of tax dollars to these areas. The lack of highway in this part of the county is ultimately why we didn't build out that way as currently you have to stop at a bajillion four-way stops to get anywhere. Then expanding the JKT south and over to 152 will surely alleviate hellacious traffic there between the turnpike and I44 as traffic would have the ability to go south and then over on 152 to get to I44 and bypass the I40 area. This is great stuff.

HangryHippo Guest

For the SW extension, why can't they just turn Sara Rd. south of 15th St into the turnpike and connect it to the HE Bailey? I guess that would make too much sense.

20. Default Re: Odot

I don't understand why the East route is so FAR east. If the image is any indicator, it looks like it's way out at Harrah-Newalla Rd. I guess is land cheaper out there for the build? It seems like making an interchange at 40/240 would make more sense....although it would be more complicated (and expensive) to build.

21. Default Re: Odot

^What image are you referring to?

The $300 million to widen the turnpike between here and Tulsa would have been an excellent start to a improving the rail corridor. If we could get the track straightened out to permit long stretches of 70-80 mph trains, it would be a serious mode of transportation.

24. Default Re: Odot

I'm at a loss for words because I am just so dumbfounded by this. I understand but disagree with the SW loop. I don't think there is a shred of justification for the east loop. This is insane.

I am so glad that our hard core fiscally conservative "leadership" has hundreds of millions to blow on highways to nowhere, while we've had a stalled AICC for a decade, let the Capitol crumble up until the point of no return, are losing historic buildings left and right, and have huge unfunded transit needs.

ODOT needs to figure out how to pitch in for transit before they build highways to nowhere. This is incredible.

Is there a visual they have for us to look at? if not, can someone make one? having a hard time picturing all this

Thread Information