Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Energy FC

1. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

I'm mad I missed it.

Blog Entries

Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    NASL/USL Pro attendance as of last weekend. This is encouraging for Energy FC as the club is just behind what MLS-bound Orlando FC is averaging. Hopefully after the downtown stadium is built, the team can give the Indy Eleven and Sacramento Republic FC a run for their money.

Attachment 7955
    Good attendance at events throughout Oklahoma City yesterday (Saturday, May 31st):

USL-Pro: Oklahoma City Energy-New York Red Bulls' reserves @ Pribil Stadium A-3,777
    WCWS: Oklahoma-Louisiana (Lafayette) @ Hall of Fame Stadium A-9,192
    WCWS: Oklahoma-Oregon @ Hall of Fame Stadium A-9,323
    PCL: Oklahoma City-Memphis @ Bricktown Ballpark A-10,142
    NBA: Oklahoma City-San Antonio @ Chesapeake Energy Arena A-18,203

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Good attendance at events throughout Oklahoma City yesterday (Saturday, May 31st):

USL-Pro: Oklahoma City Energy-New York Red Bulls' reserves @ Pribil Stadium A-3,777
    WCWS: Oklahoma-Louisiana (Lafayette) @ Hall of Fame Stadium A-9,192
    WCWS: Oklahoma-Oregon @ Hall of Fame Stadium A-9,323
    PCL: Oklahoma City-Memphis @ Bricktown Ballpark A-10,142
    NBA: Oklahoma City-San Antonio @ Chesapeake Energy Arena A-18,203
    I noticed that too! The Thunder were playing a big elimination game, and the WCWS was in town, yet the Redhawks and Energy FC drew large crowds. I think our USL Pro side is going to absolute kill when they finally build their riverfront stadium.

By the way, the NPSL team played yesterday at Stars Field. Does anyone know the attendance, and how it stacks against last year's PDL opener?

I was absolutely shocked at the crowd at the game last night considering the Thunder game was at the same time, that was very encouraging.

Blog Entries

I noticed that too! The Thunder were playing a big elimination game, and the WCWS was in town, yet the Redhawks and Energy FC drew large crowds. I think our USL Pro side is going to absolute kill when they finally build their riverfront stadium.

By the way, the NPSL team played yesterday at Stars Field. Does anyone know the attendance, and how it stacks against last year's PDL opener?
    The game was played at Yukon High School's 6,000-plus seat Millers Stadium. Heard that Stars Field (OCU) wouldn't be available to the NPSL Oklahoma City FC this season.

The 2014 NPSL Oklahoma City FC and the 2015 NASL Oklahoma City FC made an agreement to play in Yukon.

A poster on the Big Soccer Boards' forum talked with one of the owners who estimated the attendance was around 1,200-1,300 in Yukon.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    The game was played at Yukon High School's 6,000-plus seat Millers Stadium. Heard that Stars Field (OCU) wouldn't be available to the NPSL Oklahoma City FC this season.

The 2014 NPSL Oklahoma City FC and the 2015 NASL Oklahoma City FC made an agreement to play in Yukon.

A poster on the Big Soccer Boards' forum talked with one of the owners who estimated the attendance was around 1,200-1,300 in Yukon.
    Thanks for the clarification. I actually knew it was Millers Stadium but did not catch my mistake. Anyway, 1300 is pretty good for NPSL/PDL. Would be nice to add that to the 4000 that go to Energy FC games and get people to notice that this is a great sports town.

Blog Entries

My younger daughter works for the Redhawks and I was SHOCKED when I picked her up from work and she said the game was packed considering the other events going on in town. Incidentally my older daughter went to the Energy game with her boyfriend and when I asked her impression she said it was fun but "it seems like our team plays dirty and whines to the refs too much". I was surprised to get that response. Her boyfriend has played soccer for years so I suspect that's his words coming out through her (though she has played softball all her life and so is an athlete and not just a girl that is clueless about sports), but still, I was surprised to hear that. That said, I haven't been to a game yet myself to observe and form my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    My younger daughter works for the Redhawks and I was SHOCKED when I picked her up from work and she said the game was packed considering the other events going on in town. Incidentally my older daughter went to the Energy game with her boyfriend and when I asked her impression she said it was fun but "it seems like our team plays dirty and whines to the refs too much". I was surprised to get that response. Her boyfriend has played soccer for years so I suspect that's his words coming out through her (though she has played softball all her life and so is an athlete and not just a girl that is clueless about sports), but still, I was surprised to hear that. That said, I haven't been to a game yet myself to observe and form my own opinion.
    We're playing like a new team... and you might say some of our guys play like they're still in high school. I don't see the dirty plays, but whining I've seen. Whining and diving are too prevalent in a lot of soccer right now though.

Blog Entries

United We Stand!

The competition between the North American Soccer League (NASL) and United Soccer League (USL-Pro) in our city does have its upside. One of these groups will eventually take control of the OKC market.

NASL is primed set to become more of a junior league to Major League Soccer (MLS). Whereas, the Funks who own and manage the Oklahoma City Energy FC (USL-Pro) has stated its goals to initially build a soccer specific stadium with dreams toward bringing an MLS franchise to our city.

Fans do not have to alienate themselves in this process; support the NASL and/or the USL-Pro. When one of these groups take control; let us unite behind one Oklahoma City soccer franchise.

Blog Entries

MLS Expansion: Oklahoma City Eyes Future Bid

Get in line Oklahoma City, just get in line... ...Once again, I love clubs that see the future and aren’t afraid to tackle it. OKC is going to start small and dream big.

Prodigal (OKC’s owner) and ADG are exploring sites to build the stadium and are engaged in discussions about long-term strategy, location and design...
    MLS Expansion: Oklahoma City Eyes Future Bid | WVHooligan.com - MLS Blog

Funk Sr., had a chance to get an MLS franchise in the early 2000s; he cited the possibility of the city losing the RedHawks, so he purchased the PCL minor league club for $10 million. MLS franchise expansion franchises were $10 million at the time. Now it's going to be a challenge for an Oklahoma City group to pay $75 to $100 million for an MLS franchise as 2020 approaches.

One interesting observation about the MLS; they are in some of the NBA (Salt Lake City, Portland, ) and NHL (Columbus) 'break-through' markets. MLS was in Columbus, OH before an NHL expansion franchise (Bluejackets) was granted.

Oklahoma City does have the population base to support an MLS franchise along with NBA name recognition.

We will need:

3. Population base
    1. Ownership
    2. Facility

Check out this crazy contraption from Oddfab Design.

They call it a Mega Trike. To grasp the scale, look at the seats between the two wheels.

Blog Entries

That was their float in the St Patrick's Day Parade.

Interesting Attendance info
    Bold indicates in a soccer-specific stadium
    Italics indicates plans to build a soccer-specific stadium

1. Sacramento Republic FC [USL Pro]: 19292
    2. Indy Eleven [NASL]: 10465
    3. San Antonio Scorpions [NASL]: 6474 [Capacity: 8,000]
    4. Rochester Rhinos [USL Pro]: 5647 [Capacity: 13,500]
    5. Minnesota United FC [NASL]: 5577 [Capacity: 8,500]
    6. Carolina RailHawks: [NASL]: 5364 [Capacity: 10,000]
    7. Tampa Bay Rowdies [NASL]: 5215
    8. NY Cosmos [NASL]: 4681 (Planned: 25,000)
    9. Orlando City SC [USL Pro]: 4678
    10. Atlanta Silverbacks [NASL]: 4641 [Capacity: 5,000]
    11. OKC Energy FC [USL Pro]: 3946 (Planned: 7,000)
    12. Charleston Battery [USL Pro]: 3921 [Capacity: 5,113]
    13. Fort Lauderdale Strikers [NASL]: 3825
    14. FC Edmonton [NASL]: 3545
    15. Pittsburgh Riverhounds [USL Pro]: 2880 [Capacity: 3,500]
    16. Ottawa Fury FC [NASL]: 2684
    17. Richmond Kickers [USL Pro]: 2641
    18. Arizona United SC [USL Pro]: 2622
    19. Wilmington Hammerheads [USL Pro]: 2445 [Capacity: 5,300]
    20. Harrisburg City Islanders [USL Pro]: 1558
    21. Charlotte Eagles [USL Pro]: 914
    22. Orange County Blues FC [USL Pro]: 726
    23. LA Galaxy II [USL Pro]: 720
    24. Dayton Dutch Lions [USL Pro]: 593

One of the most interesting things about this is that Energy FC would become the first non-MLS professional soccer franchise with a downtown SSS. This is assuming they build along the river somewhere east of the Airpark. Amazingly very few clubs play downtown. One of them, Indy Eleven, shares a soccer/track hybrid stadium with IUPUI. Tulsa Roughnecks FC will join USL Pro next year and play at ONEOK Field, with a capacity of about 7,800.

Next year, Louisville will replace Orlando City and play downtown at their baseball stadium [Capacity: 13,500]. Seattle, Colorado Springs, St. Louis, and Queen City (Charlotte) will join USL Pro but not play downtown. Jacksonville and Ashbury (Virginia) join NASL next year. Jacksonville could play in its downtown baseball park, like Tulsa.

One of the most interesting things about this is that Energy FC would become the first non-MLS professional soccer franchise with a downtown SSS.
    Let's say for this question, that the Redhawks leave and the Bricktown Ballpark is converted to Soccer. Would that still be a downtown SSS?

Blog Entries

IMO no, at least not without significant modification, which I'm not sure would be worth making vs building new. I get that you could just leave it and paint lines, but "SSS" is the question here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Let's say for this question, that the Redhawks leave and the Bricktown Ballpark is converted to Soccer. Would that still be a downtown SSS?
    Yes and No.

It would have to be reconfigured (stadium) and retrofitted (field) for soccer and/or American football (Yes) with the possibility to increase the seating capacity to 20,000-25,000. This would probably require that a portion of the stadium be torn down with new seats added. Today's high costs to demolish a section of the park and rebuild it wouldn't be feasible. If we were to lose baseball, the Bricktown Ballpark could probably be reconfigured (stadium) and retrofitted (field) for soccer.

The stadium cost over $30 million to build as a part of MAPS I. Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oklahoma City could probably build an open air 55,000 to 65,000 seat stadium on the riverfront for less than $300 million. MAPS IV (2017) would be our best bet to go ahead and build a venue of this size. Oklahoma State could be attracted to play some non conference football games here. NFL exhibition games could be played here as the NBA did with the Chesapeake Energy Arena after it was constructed. You never know what the future might bring to our city. Would it be less expensive to prepare now than after 2025?

Bricktown Ballpark was originally designed as a baseball specific stadium.

Anyone with engineering knowledge about the Brick, please feel free to address this concern.

If we lose the Redhawks, we'd merely get another baseball team to use the ballpark.

Many do not know this, but the Portland Timbers play in Providence Park (formerly Jeld Wen Field). Until 2010, it was PGE Field -- a baseball stadium. It was renovated from a baseball stadium into a SSS for about $30-35 million. The renovation added 5,000 permanent seats, bringing seating capacity to 18,600. With standing room, the stadium was able to hold over 22,000 for matches. Just food for thought for the Bricktown Ballpark.

Blog Entries

Many do not know this, but the Portland Timbers play in Providence Park (formerly Jeld Wen Field). Until 2010, it was PGE Field -- a baseball stadium. It was renovated from a baseball stadium into a SSS for about $30-35 million. The renovation added 5,000 permanent seats, bringing seating capacity to 18,600. With standing room, the stadium was able to hold over 22,000 for matches. Just food for thought for the Bricktown Ballpark.
    Providence Park, Portland, OR., Broke ground in 1926, predates Taft Stadium (WPA 1934).

Providence Park (formerly Jeld-Wen Field; PGE Park; Civic Stadium; originally Multnomah Stadium. Renovated - 1956, 1982, 2001, 2011. Multnomah Stadium hosted the North American Soccer League's Soccer Bowl '77 in which the New York Cosmos defeated the Seattle Sounders 2-1 before 35,548. It has hosted a number of NFL exhibition football games throughout the late 60s, 70s & 80s.

Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, Oklahoma City

Should Oklahoma City take a hard look at Portland to decide what the future holds for the Bricktown Ballpark? As 2017 approaches, we will have a clearer picture for Major League Soccer or the North American Soccer League?

If Bricktown Ballpark can be renovated to include soccer and American football; Oklahoma City should at least look into the feasibility to retrofit the park to include other sports besides baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If we lose the Redhawks, we'd merely get another baseball team to use the ballpark.
    I don't know if it's that easy? There are only so many AAA ball clubs to go around. And lately, then trend in MLB has been to have your AAA team as close to you as possible, or to own it.
    The StL Cards bought the Memphis Redbirds recently. Houston wants to have their AAA team either in The Woodlands, or trade with the Rangers and have it in Round Rock.
    Round Rock has been averaging >8,000/game
    The Rangers AA franchise is in Frisco right now, and drawing very well (7,000/game)
    While OKC has been averaging 5,700. We are 25th in MiLB attendance.
    There are (4) A teams that draw better than we do.
    There are (3) AA teams that draw better than we do.
    One of the scenarios that I see happening is the Rangers trading franchises with Houston, and then switching their AAA affiliate to Frisco, making OKC a AA team. Now, at that point we would have the NICEST AA stadium in the country. But is that what we want? Or would someone say, "Nope".
    I personally would LOVE to see Bricktown Ballpark used as a Soccer Stadium, even if it is shared with a baseball team. Lots of seats, great location. I think it would be a total win for either the energy or OKC FC. As of next year both of them will be be in a High School football stadium with artificial turf, football markings, and a track running around the field.
    Tulsa's USL-Pro team is going to play at OneOK baseball stadium. Tampa Bay in the NASL plays at a baseball stadium. Virginia in the NASL is going to play in a baseball stadium. Hell, even NYCFC in MLS is going to play at Yankee Stadium! I don't hear anyone in New York bitching about that.

One of the scenarios that I see happening is the Rangers trading franchises with Houston, and then switching their AAA affiliate to Frisco, making OKC a AA team. Now, at that point we would have the NICEST AA stadium in the country. But is that what we want? Or would someone say, "Nope".
    I personally would LOVE to see Bricktown Ballpark used as a Soccer Stadium, even if it is shared with a baseball team. Lots of seats, great location. I think it would be a total win for either the energy or OKC FC. As of next year both of them will be be in a High School football stadium with artificial turf, football markings, and a track running around the field.
    Neither the Rangers or Houston own the team.

Shared stadiums between baseball and football/soccer stadiums have a history of poorly suited for both, given the history of how soon teams want out of those type of fields it is a wonder anyone is still proposing doing another one. Plus as much as the city likes to herald the ballpark as a MAPS success, I think it would be more politically feasible to build a new one than modify it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Neither the Rangers or Houston own the team.

Shared stadiums between baseball and football/soccer stadiums have a history of poorly suited for both, given the history of how soon teams want out of those type of fields it is a wonder anyone is still proposing doing another one. Plus as much as the city likes to herald the ballpark as a MAPS success, I think it would be more politically feasible to build a new one than modify it.
    As Bouchard mentioned; we will end up with a 'AA' baseball franchise in one of the best AAA baseball facilities in the country.

Snowman, many of the MLB teams once shared their baseball stadium with soccer & American football. Here are a number of MLB-NFL shared facilities, there were others...

Atlanta (Braves 66-96, Falcons 66-91) Atlanta Fulton-County Stadium
    Baltimore (Orioles 54-91, Colts 53-83, Ravens 96-97) Memorial Stadium
    Cleveland (Indians 32-93, Browns 46-95) Municipal Stadium
    Denver (Rockies 93-94, Broncos 60-2000) Bears Stadium/Mile High Stadium
    St. Louis (Cardinals 66-2005, Cardinals 66-87) Bush Memorial Stadium
    Kanas City (Athletics 55-67, Royals 69-72, Chiefs 63-71) Municipal Stadium
    Los Angeles (Dodgers 58-61, Rams 46-79, Raiders 82-94) L. A. Memorial Coliseum
    New York (Mets 65-2008, Jets 64-83) Shea Stadium
    New York (Yankees 23-2008, Giants 56-73) Yankee Stadium 23-2008, Giants
    Washington D. C. (Senators 62-71, Redskins 61-96) D.C. Stadium/Robert F. Kennedy Stadium

The current dimensions of Bricktown Ballpark - Left Field: 325 feet - Center Field: 400 feet - Right Field: 325 feet; this is a baseball specific ballpark, it would require some structural changes to the outfields to retrofit the stadium for soccer & American football.

We would like to preserve Bricktown Ballpark as a baseball specific stadium. The City of OKC should take a look at other uses for Bricktown Ballpark and/or commit to building a soccer-American football (downtown-riverfront) specific stadium with an initial seating capacity of 25,000 with expansion capabilities. This would allow for the possibility of Major League Soccer (expansion/relocation franchise) and high school football games including the state championships. An annual football game in OKC involving Langston vs. schools like Lincoln (MO), Grambling State, Southern (LA), Prairie View (TX) etc...

A look ahead...

MAPS IV (2017) referendum could include $100-$150 million for a soccer-football specific stadium (Riverfront); let's not rule out Fair Park (everything doesn't have to be DT/Bricktown) where there city owned land, parking and some infrastructure is already in place.

23. Default Re: OKC Energy FC

Fan Ridicule Leads Soccer Team To Abandon Logo

"Louisville City FC introduced its logo last week, to the outrage and disappointment of fans and designers who called it ugly, amateurish, and quickly demonstrated that they could do better. It took less than a day for the team to admit it screwed up, and announce it would hold a fan contest to pick a new one."

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Louisville City FC introduced its logo last week, to the outrage and disappointment of fans and designers who called it ugly, amateurish, and quickly demonstrated that they could do better. It took less than a day for the team to admit it screwed up, and announce it would hold a fan contest to pick a new one.
    Those fans have come up with some really cool designs.

Using Laramie's last pic, this is roughly what the dimensions of a soccer pitch would look like at BTBP
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bricktown as soccer field.jpg 
Views:	1340 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	8138
    If it was still going to be used for baseball (meaning no structural teardowns) then you would have to work with the existing dimensions (325 ft down both lines)
    You would have to extend the field as far as possible past home plate in order to get a few extra yards for the length. At 325 ft from homeplate to the outfield fence, you are looking at probably 105yds at the most? I'm really guessing here, not sure how much real estate is actually between home and the dugouts.

Thread Information